Author Topic: Repeat blood tests - Why?  (Read 19716 times)

LindaG

Repeat blood tests - Why?
« on: 11 August, 2012, 06:15:14 pm »
I had bloods tests done this week - full blood count and serum ferritin.  To try to find a reason why I'm as tired as a sleepy thing at the moment. 

Just got a letter from the GP and they want them repeating in a month.  I'll be wondering why all weekend now.  Anyone have any idea what they might be looking for?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: Repeat blood tests - Why?
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2012, 06:29:39 pm »
Funny - very similar thing has happened (is still happening) to me. In my case, I think it's because one result shows inflammation, or something. It's not surprising, because I was under the weather when they did it. I think the retest in 4 weeks is to allow me to get over whatever it is, so the results aren't skewed by anything.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2012, 06:38:46 pm »
MRsCharly had exhaustion problems - they tested for B12 anf ferritin levels

Repeat in a month might be to see if it results are related to timing in your cycle. But a month's gap seems silly in that case. 2 weeks would be more sensible (unless they want to see if results are reproducable)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2012, 06:40:53 pm »
New, underhand blood-donation technique?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2012, 07:33:49 pm »
Probably borderline abnormal/normal result.
Want repeat after an interval to determine if you'd benefit from eg iron therapy.

If you had *really* low ferritin, they'd put you on iron and maybe investigate for iron deficiency. If your ferritin is low*ish*, they may want to see if if it's stable or changing.

I wouldn't worry; if your results were seriously abnormal, they would act.

Some lab results can be completely out of line with what is expected for a patient. When that's the case, repeats are usually requested immediately.

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2012, 07:41:50 pm »
Maybe they lost it?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2012, 07:58:09 pm »
Maybe they lost it?

If they'd lost it, I would hope they'd come clean, explain the loss and request a repeat as soon as conveniently possible.

« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:09:30 pm »
Secret black pudding sales to rescue NHS? or looking for trends/correlations in your analysis?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LindaG

« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2012, 09:06:45 am »
Ah.  (Most of) those answers make sense.

Thanks chaps  :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2012, 02:48:20 pm »
If you are on a prescription repeat blood tests are often taken to check for any improvements in the results. Quite normal procedure.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"