Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2457107 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #9225 on: 03 April, 2023, 08:53:51 pm »
The skunkworks project is done.  It came in under the 10kg target with pedals (9.7kg without).

20230403_161039 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20230403_161057 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20230403_161126 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20230403_161114 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20230403_161122 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20230403_161050 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20230403_161144 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
That's well tidy.

« Reply #9226 on: 03 April, 2023, 08:59:26 pm »
The skunkworks project is done.  It came in under the 10kg target with pedals (9.7kg without).

What are those cranks?

« Reply #9227 on: 03 April, 2023, 09:21:21 pm »
Shakeproof washers  :hand:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9228 on: 04 April, 2023, 07:22:58 am »
Horrible but necessary because of the Heath Robinson design.  The bolt must turn with the rear forks.  The bolt is not used as a pivot - there is a steel sleeve sandwiched between the ears of the rear fork that runs in nylon* bushes pressed into the frame.

The modern TSR uses a similar setup but threadlock and a thread in the rear triangle avoid the anti-shake washers and introduce new problems, like stripped threads.  In fact, the TSR pivot is the worst on all Moultons for longevity, being undersized and offset.

*Oilite on early bikes
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9229 on: 04 April, 2023, 10:38:01 am »

Lush.  What's it like to ride?

rogerzilla

« Reply #9230 on: 04 April, 2023, 05:43:47 pm »
I made a bad build decision.  I fitted a new top fork bush from Moulton Preservation.  Although I added a beer can shim, it is made to poor tolerances and is very loose on the inner steerer, so the fork clunks insufferably.  I should have used a genuine top bush like I normally do.  I have good used ones but it means stripping down the entire front end again, including the loose ball headset.

Apart from that, it all works well.  The coaster brake is scarily powerful compared to the one on the SA hub I commuted on for years, and gets hot much more quickly due to its small size and weight.  The position is good and it feels light.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9231 on: 04 April, 2023, 05:57:29 pm »
That is a kiddy-bike coaster brake, right? No wonder it gets hot and is light.

Cool machine though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #9232 on: 04 April, 2023, 06:04:55 pm »
It's a Shimano Type D, so a bit better than a kiddy bike one.  It has proper brake shoes.  Much lighter than a freewheel hub, freewheel and all the rear brake gubbins.

« Reply #9233 on: 04 April, 2023, 07:59:58 pm »
That's gert lush, that is. A bit strange, but gert lush.

rogerzilla

« Reply #9234 on: 04 April, 2023, 10:06:36 pm »
Having thought about it, I can probably drop the fork without touching the headset, which would shorten the job and remove any need for bearing adjustment.

Remove brake, so spring etc pops out
Remove stem and bars, remove retaining screw holding steerer to fork
Push bellows out of the way and unscrew lower bush retaining cup
Pull fork out

Swap bush for one that works and reassemble.

Greasy, though!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9235 on: 05 April, 2023, 01:59:17 pm »
Shimano D-type were better than the E-type IMHO. I didn't know that you could get Shimano coaster brakes with so few spoke holes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Captain Nemo

• Defence de profundis
« Reply #9236 on: 05 April, 2023, 03:59:41 pm »
Horrible but necessary because of the Heath Robinson design.  The bolt must turn with the rear forks.  The bolt is not used as a pivot - there is a steel sleeve sandwiched between the ears of the rear fork that runs in nylon* bushes pressed into the frame.

The modern TSR uses a similar setup but threadlock and a thread in the rear triangle avoid the anti-shake washers and introduce new problems, like stripped threads.  In fact, the TSR pivot is the worst on all Moultons for longevity, being undersized and offset.

*Oilite on early bikes

Two part Nord-LocK washers are a better solution than washers that "lock" by gouching the surfaces.

https://www.nord-lock.com/en-gb/nord-lock/products/washers/

« Reply #9237 on: 07 April, 2023, 09:53:54 am »
mrsao's new Boardman ADV 8.6 (Small) - nearly ready for first ride outside...  Sora spec., FSA 48/32 11-34 / 38mm tyres.  Gear cables not with full outers, but doubt this will be a problem...

PXL_ADV8.6 by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #9238 on: 12 April, 2023, 11:35:07 am »
New Commuter Bike that should also handle some touring, a Genesis Day One 20.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #9239 on: 13 April, 2023, 06:40:21 pm »
Finally got this finished the way it was in my head

It’s not as elegant as the Six13 was but it IS better

« Reply #9240 on: 20 April, 2023, 10:32:59 am »
New elastomer hitch fitted to the trailer and I put the new hitch bracket onto the galaxy instead of the Brompton.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9241 on: 05 May, 2023, 09:51:14 pm »
The cross-check lost 26 gears - converted from 3*9 to singlespeed. 42x21 gives approx 54" gear with the 35c tyres :)

Is my chain too slack?  ;D

IMG_20230505_175227_526 by ian, on Flickr

sam

« Reply #9242 on: 07 June, 2023, 10:22:26 pm »
Marin Sausalito. Hybrid. (Do they make those anymore, or has it all gone gravel?)

My first bike after moving to the UK. Got me intimately familiar with the streets of London. Took me on an end-to-end. Stolen a long time ago.

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #9243 on: 07 June, 2023, 10:29:05 pm »
Is that what you rode when you were up here and my pal Chris put you up ?

« Reply #9244 on: 07 June, 2023, 10:32:43 pm »

Don’t know about that but he’s good at that no hands stuff!

sam

« Reply #9245 on: 07 June, 2023, 11:20:39 pm »

If that was The Hospitality Tour, this bike would’ve been in the hands of its new owner (then perhaps stolen again, in a continuous cycle of grief). I was on a Ridgeback Day Two at that point. Hiya finch, your name definitely rings a bell. I have a few Chrises to sort through though - where did he live?

Don’t know about that but he’s good at that no hands stuff!

Don’t watch this yet, it needs subtitles and music. And maybe a better setting, of the sort frequented by Danny MacAskill. Like the top of a castle wall. Considering the state of the roads, this is thrilling enough for me.

Very very early a few mornings ago:

I should really get a helmet cam, except I don’t wear a helmet, and strapping a camera straight onto my head doesn’t appeal. Meanwhile I’m stuck using a regular old digicam; oddly enough, I’m not completely comfortable holding an expensive (for me anyway) camera while doing this.

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #9246 on: 07 June, 2023, 11:41:21 pm »
This would have been Dunbar - East Lothian

sam

« Reply #9247 on: 08 June, 2023, 04:10:04 am »
My files appear to have been eaten by Langoliers. Are you sure it was me who stayed with your pal? There may have been dozens of us C+ freeloaders crisscrossing the British Isles in those long lost days before Airbnb.

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #9248 on: 08 June, 2023, 07:27:21 am »
Yeah we all ate together

sam

« Reply #9249 on: 08 June, 2023, 08:41:35 am »
Seeing as we broke bread as well, you've really got me racking my brains now. I've found you*

and your shed (sorry so small - ironically),

but haven't yet located Chris. Did he have a nickname, alias, pen name, appellation, sobriquet, display name, etc., other than 'Chris'?

Meanwhile, to feed this thread with more bikes, I present my Bike Friday -

which had a very good workout over the years. It underwent an unsuccessful SS operation and fell out of favour for various other reasons. That's a custom built rack by none other than Steve Parry, btw.

This next one

has gears {gasp!} – three of them. It's the only hub geared bike I ever had, and is equipped with the first kickstand I've owned in a very long time. I bought it in the States, specifically for something to ride whenever I visit. Its entire purpose is to get me from A to B, and its sole virtue was that it was inexpensive; I probably could've gotten something better and even cheaper if I'd had time to go hunting garage sales. I don't even remember the make and model, such little impact has it had on my life.

It's currently hanging upside-down in my sister's garage in Ohio, unless she's sold it in a garage sale.

* Note the trick of perspective. That bike that appears to be on a standard fixed bracket shelving unit is actually full-sized.

† I've since zoomed in and see 'Origin'.