Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627076 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2975 on: 17 February, 2013, 07:55:14 pm »
Buggrit.  Completely fucked over left ankle again.

Were you doing anything comedy at the time?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2976 on: 17 February, 2013, 07:56:33 pm »
Ouch! That is the pits!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2977 on: 17 February, 2013, 07:58:24 pm »
Buggrit.  Completely fucked over left ankle again.

Were you doing anything comedy at the time?

Sleeping.  Faintly comedic, except it's not the first time it has happened.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2978 on: 17 February, 2013, 08:16:04 pm »
Well that's just unfair!  (Though my knee has also been known to do that sort of thing while in bed, it's usually after a day of traipsing around or something.)

« Reply #2979 on: 17 February, 2013, 08:56:15 pm »
My VAR tool has disappeared. Where can it have gone to? Is it littering a roadside somewhere, from the last time it was used to help a tyre on, late last year? Did it get dropped when I opened my toolkit in a pub to take something else out? Is it hiding somewhere in the house?

Whatever, I want it back! We've been together for over 20 years.  :'(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2980 on: 17 February, 2013, 09:36:47 pm »
DJs. STFU and play music.
That is all.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2981 on: 17 February, 2013, 11:37:03 pm »
*** Hotel: Can you please explain why the mirror in the en-suite bathroom of Room1 is place behind the WC, a whole bath's length from the wash-basin?
Are your guests all so ugly that you fear the mirror might crack should they place their faces too close whilst attending to cosmetic factors?
Maybe your strictly orthodox Jewish clientele are all bearded and never shave...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2982 on: 18 February, 2013, 12:08:05 am »
Sounds like a bad case of Architects, if you ask me...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2983 on: 18 February, 2013, 12:24:57 am »
To be fair, there's a window behind one side of the washbasin. This was one of the better rooms in the place. It was sort-of accessible to a wheelchair from the street. Parents had to stay in separate rooms in the attic while I had double that opened out onto garden.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2984 on: 18 February, 2013, 06:22:15 am »
Radio4, what have you done with the Today programme? Hmm?  Hearing The Bottom Line just after 06:00 made me think perhaps it wasn't Monday and I could go back to bed.  At least I can rely on the World Service for some news.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2985 on: 18 February, 2013, 07:07:32 am »
Radio4, what have you done with the Today programme? Hmm?  Hearing The Bottom Line just after 06:00 made me think perhaps it wasn't Monday and I could go back to bed.  At least I can rely on the World Service for some news.

Bah!  World Service not any better.  Seems some BBC staff are on strike.  :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2986 on: 18 February, 2013, 07:08:25 am »
NUJ on strike about job losses.
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2987 on: 18 February, 2013, 07:43:27 am »
Was in the pool just after 6 this morning to do a km. It was pretty busy and lots of the people in the slow lane with me were very slow swimmers and obviously not confident in the water. That doesn’t bother me – everyone has different abilities and I’m sure I look as awkward to the fast lane people as some of the slow lane people look to me. The slow lane is a very mixed ability lane – it seems to range from almost complete beginners to competent swimmers who are slower than me, competent swimmers about my level and competent swimmers who are faster and fitter than me but not fast enough for the medium lane. I’m easily 15-20 seconds slower than the medium lane swimmers.

There were 4 or 5 very slow swimmers in this morning so there were times when I had to overtake or risk sinking through swimming so slowly. I think I tried hard to be a considerate overtaker, waiting till there was plenty of space, passing as far over as I could and not moving back in until I was well ahead to minimise splashing/kicking people in the head. However on at least two occasions I was overtaking about 10m from the end of the lane and hindered by some of the less confident swimmers choosing to set off from the end I was approaching at exactly same time as they saw me passing the person I was overtaking, leaving me with no room at all. Now, I know you’re thinking “why bother overtaking so close to the end?” and my answer to that is “because these people repeatedly failed to let me pass at the end.” Seriously, even though I was giving them a 25m head start and still on their heels by the end of the length, they would not wait three seconds to let me pass them at the end of the lane. So I was trying to get past them where there was obviously room to do so to prevent a bottleneck going the other way. And there were lots of lengths where there was no space to overtake at all so rather than barge past I stayed behind people and floated along behind them hoping they’d let me past at the end (which they never did).

Anyway, after about 12 lengths the pool attendant called me over at the end of the lane and explained that some people had complained I was overtaking and asked if I wanted to move to the medium lane. I explained that I am way too slow for the medium lane and we had a chat about how the slow lane is a very mixed ability lane. I said I wouldn’t be happy in the medium lane because I know I would be holding up every single person in that lane, and he said fair enough, in that case you’re better off in the slow lane and overtaking safely. So I said well, I am trying to overtake safely and I hope I’m not being risky or selfish in my overtaking but if you have concerns about how I’m doing it, I’m happy to be told, and he said no, I’ve been watching and you’re fine with what you’re doing so carry on. So I carried on but it really felt awkward after that. It really bugs me when people in the slow lane charge past everyone just for the sake of it and overtake badly just because they have to get past and I try really hard not to do that, and it’s upset me to think people think that’s what I’m doing, especially when they don’t have the sense to wait two seconds at the end to give me time to get past them without overtaking. And really, you’d think people would understand that it’s possible for someone to be faster than them but still not fast enough for the medium lane.

One of the regular women I see most mornings asked me what was going on so I told her about the conversation with the guard, and she said I was fine – my overtakes were fine and I wasn’t swimming inconsiderately, and then she said it was probably one of the men who didn’t like being overtaken by a woman and then we laughed and then I did my last length and got out feeling a bit better. But still, it's left me feeling awkward.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2988 on: 18 February, 2013, 10:56:01 am »
I need to send a Grink to Frimley Park Hospital:

The carpark includes a nice secure cycle cage, however when I arrived this morning to the hospital by bike and asked the carpark attendent for the code to the cage I was informed that it is for staff parking only. There is no patient cycle parking.

The only reason this is here rather than the rant thread was I took my bike into the physio department with me and no one batted an eyelid as I walked into reception and then down into the gym for my appointment.

tiermat

« Reply #2989 on: 18 February, 2013, 01:18:34 pm »
Job description (in particular It related ones).

Please just stop calling it a long handled earth moving device, please.

I have absolutely no idea about this latest one.

A company in the West Midlands needs some one to look after their systems, and do some upgrades.

Among the infrastructure details is the following:

Internal private cloud.

It's not a freaking cloud then, is it? It's an internal network.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2990 on: 18 February, 2013, 03:36:59 pm »
Quote from: tiermat
Please just stop calling it a long handled earth moving device, please

Don't get me started.

Last year the Railway Magazine reported that the Welsh Highland Railway was applying for lottery funding so they could provide "an enhanced linear museum experience."

Not a fucking train ride then :facepalm:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #2991 on: 18 February, 2013, 03:54:19 pm »

A company in the West Midlands needs some one to look after their systems, and do some upgrades.

Internal private cloud.

To be fair to them they might be using cloud software that is only accessible on their network.

Like an intranet vs internet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #2992 on: 18 February, 2013, 04:09:30 pm »

Internal private cloud.

To be fair to them they might be using cloud software that is only accessible on their network.

Like an intranet vs internet.

Pound to a pinch of shit they aren't, though.

« Reply #2993 on: 18 February, 2013, 04:18:55 pm »
It would be perfectly reasonable to ask them what cloud software they are running.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2994 on: 18 February, 2013, 06:40:12 pm »
Quote from: tiermat
Please just stop calling it a long handled earth moving device, please

Don't get me started.

Last year the Railway Magazine reported that the Welsh Highland Railway was applying for lottery funding so they could provide "an enhanced linear museum experience."

Not a fucking train ride then :facepalm:

but the lottery folk like that sort of bollocks-phrase.  The WHR already had a few million for the railway itself, so now they're trying to get more they need to say its for something else.  To be honest, its not just about a train ride (on almost new coaches hauled by not-very historic locos which never used to work on it in its original incarnation) it is partly about preseving the stations, tunnels etc, which if in management bullshite mode you could well refer to as a linear museum experience.  I wouldn't though, its a ride behind an effing great NGG16 Garratt, which is all good fun, and greener than bringing thousands of cars into the National Park.
Wombat

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2995 on: 19 February, 2013, 08:04:36 am »
I'm not slagging the WHR (or any other steam railway -  I likes steam engines I does), rather the fact they're forced to use ghastly 1990's Corporate American Newspeak :sick: instead of English.

Grumble: I was told a truly awful joke last night and I'm buggered if I can remember it now* :facepalm:

*which is probably a Good Thing.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2996 on: 19 February, 2013, 09:34:51 am »
I'm not slagging the WHR (or any other steam railway -  I likes steam engines I does), rather the fact they're forced to use ghastly 1990's Corporate American Newspeak :sick: instead of English.

Grumble: I was told a truly awful joke last night and I'm buggered if I can remember it now* :facepalm:

Then don't remember it.  Unless, of course, you like that sort of thing. ;)

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2997 on: 19 February, 2013, 11:40:52 am »

Then don't remember it.  Unless, of course, you like that sort of thing. ;)

Well, I've tried Morris Dancing, so I s'pose there's only one thing left... :-\

« Reply #2998 on: 19 February, 2013, 11:50:32 am »
Radio 4 has an article on about  'She moved through the fair', one of my favourite songs.

Sinaed Conner talks a load of crap about 'in our Celtic DNA'.  Ignoring the much older bloke who said he'd never heard it until he was in India.   Her singing sucks as well; wobbly vibrato all over the place.

Much prefer AaE version. Julianne Regan is a much better singer than Sinaed IMO.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2999 on: 19 February, 2013, 12:08:06 pm »
National Trust,

Your "Find a place to visit" page is a nice feature - if it worked.  ::-)