Author Topic: PBP steel tourer or carbon trek ?  (Read 8924 times)

Re: PBP steel tourer or carbon trek ?
« Reply #25 on: 18 April, 2011, 03:21:47 pm »
I've started riding a Roubaix this year, after using a Thorn Audax Mk3 steel bike for LEL and Mille Cymru (and lots and lots of other stuff). I used to think the Thorn was comfortable  :)

Tyre-wise, I've been mainly using GP4S, 28mm on the Thorn and trying both 25 and 23 on the Roubaix. Even on 23mm tyres, the Roubaix gives a less harsh ride than the Audax MK3 on 28mm.

I know the alternatives - such as 4 seasons which make a reasonable compromise between speed/grip/portection/wear (but not price!).

I've tried other tyres (including the Pasela, where I suffer sidewall failure, and now have a Vittoria Rubino Pro which is sitting there ready to put on), but whilst GP4S may be double the cost of some of the others, I find them comfortable enough and reliable. In the grand scheme of things spending an extra £20 on the cost of a pair of tyres is nothing compared to the rest of the expense of PBP, so I'll not compromise on tyres for this ride - call it insurance money  :)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #26 on: 18 April, 2011, 05:04:37 pm »
Hi, you have written many interesting things about areas I am trying to get to grips with: frames, saddles and tyres. So I hope you don't mind if I ask some direct questoins to understand your decisions and preferences:

1) which is more comfortable - Ti or Roubaix? :-\
You seem to play down the effect of frame on comfort and performance, but having experienced both, which would you choose again, and why? (I have a carbon Trek which I am finding a little harsh on longer rides of 200+)

I've not done any rides over 300km on the Roubaix.
The Ti is better in that:
- it seem to soak up "high frequency" buzz better.  Just the normal buzz from a smooth road, not vibrations from a rough road.  After finishing the Elenith on the Roubaix, I could feel that my palms had taken a pounding

The Roubaix is better at
- hitting larger bumps.  It will go over a small pothole or lump like it's not there
- really rough roads.  It transforms "I can barely hold the bars" to "perfectly ok".  Near Tregaron there is a fast descent where the road surface suddenly becomes very poor.  It it covered in 1" bumps like cobbles.   Or it is like a lightly ploughed field.  Roubaix shot over it just fine.  A steel bike would have been difficult to control
- being stiff and flexible at the same time.  The Ti bike I had was not as good at converting pedal energy into movement as the Roubaix

Some of these differences may be down to geometry rather than frame material

2) which is more comfortable - hole or no-hole?
You cut a hole in your lovely Brooks saddle!  :o (I guess you know they have a model with a hole already cut? Perhaps you needed the extra piece of leather for some other purpose? ::-)) Does it make a difference? (There was an article in Arivee which I didn't find conclusive - for that particular rider numbness still occured depending on riding position :()
Does it make a difference- yes.  It is better there is less pressure on that part and everything else is equally as comfy.  Why didn't I just get a Brooks Imperial?  They don't do them in Titanium rails and I already had a nice broken in saddle

3) Optimum tyre pressure for speed/comfort over long distances?
I have used Pro 3 on a few time trials - fast and good grip but cut up easily and don't have much in way of puncture protection. (You say supple, I say soft!) Maybe the roads in France are a lot smoother, but I would have thought 1200km is pretty much the lifetime for this tyre! OK, I know the alternatives - such as 4 seasons which make a reasonable compromise between speed/grip/portection/wear (but not price!). So my questoin is really about optimum tyre pressure to get the balance between speed and comfort. And remeber, there is one serious limitation on the Trek: the choice betwen 25mm tyres OR 23mm and Crud mudguards!

Pro3 get cuts easier than Pro2, loverly supple tyres however

4 Seasons last 2500km and then become puncture magnets ( my experience with 2 or 3 sets ).  They are good tyres however until 2500km

Thin 28mm ( Rubino Pro or Pasellas ), fat 25mm (Pro2) at 90psi are good for comfort and speed

Krylions at 90psi are fairly nice but they don't quite have the special something of Pro2.  They lack a little grip and a little comfort.

I used the specialized roubaix tyres for a while as well, they seemed good also

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX look really interesting.  If I feel I have 60 quid for the experiment I will get some 28mm Ultremo ZX and take the mudguards off my Roubaix.  If that works would be really comfy

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #27 on: 18 April, 2011, 07:05:17 pm »
Thanks Vors (and Matt) for the quick response... input much appreciated... :thumbsup:

1.) horses for courses, I know, but you give a good impression of what to expect from each material...

2) now your saddle vandalism makes perfect sense!  ;)

3) I covered about 4,000 km on my 4 seasons in one year with only one puncture, then two in two outings! (I was wondering if they are called 4 seasons for a reason!) But last 200k I was fine - could be  because I pumped them up beyond 100 PSI? (Something my knees didn't appreciate!)

Good to hear your experiences - even if there are no 'right' answers, best to avoid the wrong ones!

Cheers,
            Steve.
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

« Reply #28 on: 18 April, 2011, 08:19:08 pm »
The obvious point to make is that pressure is completely dependant on your weight. When I got my first bike I weighed the best part of 15 stone while my better half weighs just over 9 stone. Obviously requires something completely different from the same width of tyres.  :o

She's got 28mm Gatorskins on her good bike, that I inflate to ~70/80 front/rear. Myself, I run ~85/100 (at 12 stone these days).

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #29 on: 18 April, 2011, 09:21:42 pm »
Only obvoius if you can remember such things!

I guess there is another thread about weight loss....
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

« Reply #30 on: 18 April, 2011, 10:18:36 pm »
Vorsprung, I accept that the Hardcases are a bit heavier but so am I ! So far they seem to be good on the p******e front  and I dont get pinches either. I have tried Contis , with GP Four seasons on my steel framed light tourer, but  I havent got enough confidence in them yet and they are expensive.