Author Topic: Bad back  (Read 2086 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Bad back
« on: 22 February, 2009, 12:53:04 pm »
I have a back problem dating back to the 1970s. Every so often it comes back and bites me. It has this morning, precipitated by throwing the dog's ball. All the pain is in my lower back - the first 2 or 3 vertebrae.

Bugger.

I'll spend quite a lot of this afternoon lying on my back on the floor, with my knees raised, I think.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Bad back
« Reply #1 on: 22 February, 2009, 01:00:55 pm »
Ouch.

My chiro says lying flat is not the best thing you can do. Have you seen a chiro?

annie

« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2009, 01:05:41 pm »
Oh dear me.  This sounds bad.  I thoroughly recommend Marmite ;)

What exactly is the problem?

« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2009, 01:16:22 pm »
A couple of jars over the spine should work wonders.  :thumbsup:
Pixies climbing on his shoulders?  ::-)

GWS Wow.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2009, 01:17:09 pm »

As I threw the ball for the dog this morning, I twisted my back and it now hurts and has seized up.

To get out of a chair I have to take all my weight on my arms.

I have pain across my lower back which makes me not want to move.

I can walk as long as it is in a gingerly fashion. I haven't tried the marmite.

annie

« Reply #5 on: 22 February, 2009, 01:21:16 pm »
Oh nasty. I don't think I climbed aboard your shoulders yesterday, did I?

Throwing a ball involves some twisting and some force and it is easy to do damage to an existing back condition.

Don't be worrying about doing anything at all.  Get your feet up and get some shut eye, if you can.  Try to support your legs with something under the knees.

I would offer to walk across your back in high heels but am all out of them at the moment and will myself be putting my feet up shortly before tomorrow.

Hugs and snugs. :-*

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 22 February, 2009, 01:25:49 pm »
Yes, I think Mrs.Wow's plan for an afternoon's torrid passion will have to go on the back burner.

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 22 February, 2009, 02:07:29 pm »
Yes, I think Mrs.Wow's plan for an afternoon's torrid passion will have to go on the back burner.

Or at least, not involve you ;)

GWS. Backs can be a bugger. My doc recommended "slying" to me - which is basically being in a sitting position by a chair, but have your back on the floor where your feet would normally be, and your legs on the chair where your arse would normally be.

It worked for me once or twice, but it's quite hard to do anything in that position - even watch telly or read a book. It can also be draughty on the floor if you have an old house like ours.

« Reply #8 on: 22 February, 2009, 03:53:07 pm »
I'll spend quite a lot of this afternoon lying on my back on the floor, with my knees raised, I think
when my back is really bad that is the only way I feel comfortable.

« Reply #9 on: 23 February, 2009, 11:33:34 am »

I'll spend quite a lot of this afternoon lying on my back on the floor, with my knees raised, I think.
About the only position that offers real relief.  I managed to inflict a prolapsed disc on myself mid-December and essentially spent 4 days in that position before I managed to see a doctor.  Best to try and keep mobile however.