Author Topic: I have joined a pilates class  (Read 13520 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I have joined a pilates class
« on: 04 September, 2012, 04:53:22 pm »
For about 4 years I've been attending a Taoist Tia Chi class, which was OK. Then it started to get a bit weird: I always had misgivings about the structure of the organisation (e.g. all instructors are unpaid volunteers who are expected to finance their own instructor training, which inevitably involves occasional trips to Canada, the global HQ. Lovely people, all of them, but there you go...). Recently the increased emphasis on the religious side was getting on my nerves and seemed to be to the detriment of the physical exercises. So I left.

I think I need more than just cycling for exercise. I started with tai chi because I had arthritis. Last year an X-ray revealed osteoporosis - my vertebrae had shrunk. I was sent for a dexa scan but that came back normal. I questioned the need for bone-strengthening drugs but my GP an rheumatology consultant were in complete agreement: my vertebrae had shrunk and the alendronic acid and chalk tablets were necessary.

Anyway, I've found someone who teaches pilates locally and I can join one of her classes for £5 per hour. I've opted for one on Monday evenings, about a mile from my house. The one drawback is that I will be the only man. How will I cope?

Does anyone else pilate?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: I'm going to join a pilates class
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2012, 04:56:43 pm »
I teach it, although not as many classes as I used to.

Do it, and £5 is very cheap for pilates. I think you will get a lot from it, and really, do not worry about being the only guy, I've had a few regular guys at my classes- one class I have a guy who is the only one there and has been for the last 3 years. No stress. Just enjoy it :)

« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2012, 04:57:29 pm »
Oh, and I actually think he loves being the only guy there ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2012, 05:00:24 pm »
I was joking about being worried by the only bloke. I'm really looking forward to it.

« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2012, 05:02:53 pm »
You should be :) An hour of watching pretty ladies. You starting Monday?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2012, 05:04:48 pm »
You should be :) An hour of watching pretty ladies. You starting Monday?

Yes. 7.30 to 8.30. As I said, how will I cope?  :D

« Reply #6 on: 04 September, 2012, 05:08:37 pm »
How will they cope?!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #7 on: 04 September, 2012, 05:13:56 pm »
mrsmike did pilates for about 10 years, it fixed her dodgy back completely.

I was the only guy doing yoga in our village hall class for a couple of years, it was bloody great apart from the farting (them!) 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 04 September, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »
There was always plenty of farting in our tai chi class.

« Reply #9 on: 04 September, 2012, 05:34:18 pm »
Farting and young women aside, I can't imagine that pilates will do you anything other than a world of good, Wowbagger.

Not so long ago I was stepping out with a young woman of a similar age to mine (so not so very different to your's, Wow).

She had been doing pilates for years.

[Rowley Birkin QC mode] I didn't notice the farting. However, her uncommon and exceptional flexibility is a memory that'll always stay with me. Remarkable. [/Rowley Birkin QC mode]

« Reply #10 on: 04 September, 2012, 06:52:32 pm »
Make sure that your pilates teacher is a Level 3 instructor. Also, you don't want any more than 12 in a class. Pilates has to be done right and the instructor has to watch what everyone is doing. More than 12 is just too much.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11 on: 04 September, 2012, 06:59:22 pm »
I do a bit sometimes and I always like it. If you're doing it right, you won't be watching anyone else, you'll be too busy concentrating.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 04 September, 2012, 08:02:07 pm »
But you don't even like air travel...   ???

« Reply #13 on: 04 September, 2012, 09:46:19 pm »
But you don't even like air travel...   ???

I think you're a bit muddled there Kim. As Wowbagger said in the OP, he's fed up with religion and is upping the anti and learning about the dude who sentenced Jesus to crucifixion. Or something like that, I think... ???

« Reply #14 on: 05 September, 2012, 09:00:06 am »
£5 is very cheap. Me & No1Daughter did it for a while but at £14 a week for us, payable termly in advance, I couldn't really afford it.

We liked it. It was weird for me going to an exercise class where you didn't get all sweaty, but I certainly felt it afterwards.

Chris S

« Reply #15 on: 05 September, 2012, 09:03:01 am »
I too would benefit from something like this - Pilates or Yoga. Having sat in office chairs staring at screens for an enormous chunk of my life, I'm famously unbendy and have trouble getting my leg over (fboab's bars) these days.

The farting sounds fun. Is it obligatory?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #16 on: 05 September, 2012, 09:16:25 am »
I have a theory.

« Reply #17 on: 05 September, 2012, 10:48:22 am »
I really enjoyed my Pilates classes.  They were good for my core strength as well as my balance (which is crap) and my co-ordination (which is worse).

If you're doing it right, it should be slow and steady and using muscles you didn't know you had (and therefore have possibly never used).  It may at times feel as though you're doing very little, but you'd be surprised...

£5 is a bargain and at that price I'd take it back up again as a class!   :thumbsup:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #18 on: 05 September, 2012, 01:11:33 pm »
I do a class once a week at my local leisure centre. The stretching and core work helps my lower back, a good complement for cycling & rowing/erging.

It takes a bit of getting used to for butch he-man types like myself. Leaving aside the fact I doubt I'll ever be best friends with my pelvic floor, the first few sessions are a bit frustrating as you come away thinking that you haven't really 'done anything' aside from discover you cannot perform apparently simple movements like rock forward and backwards onto your heels and toes, but as you get into it you become more bendy and the exercises more strenuous (and yes, you do come away feeling taller).

« Reply #19 on: 05 September, 2012, 02:03:37 pm »
........and yes, you do come away feeling taller.
I had been reading this thread thinking this sounds a good idea (Chris S's comments struck a particular chord, except the bit about getting his leg over  ;))  But then I read Mr T's comment.  No thanks!  Plenty tall enough already.

« Reply #20 on: 05 September, 2012, 05:02:47 pm »
I have been doing pilates for about 5 years now.  I am certain it has improved my riding due to core strength and stability, of which I had none prior.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21 on: 05 September, 2012, 11:15:34 pm »
Serendipitous thread - a Viking is advising Wow on becoming a pirate!  :D

Seriously for a minute, about the Tai Chi - I did some of this a few years ago, in India (yeah, go to India and take up a Chinese martial art  ???) and there was nothing religious about it. Nothing even 'spiritual' beyond stillness, concentration and quiet. So I wonder if you just fell in with a dodgy organisation? Anyways, I enjoyed the Tai Chi because it made me concentrate on coordination and balance, but gave it up because the Sunday morning classes were eating into riding time.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #22 on: 05 September, 2012, 11:51:29 pm »
Serendipitous thread - a Viking is advising Wow on becoming a pirate!  :D

Seriously for a minute, about the Tai Chi - I did some of this a few years ago, in India (yeah, go to India and take up a Chinese martial art  ???) and there was nothing religious about it. Nothing even 'spiritual' beyond stillness, concentration and quiet. So I wonder if you just fell in with a dodgy organisation? Anyways, I enjoyed the Tai Chi because it made me concentrate on coordination and balance, but gave it up because the Sunday morning classes were eating into riding time.

The Taoist Tai Chi Society is pretty big. I'm amazed at how many members it has. They seem to be congregated around SE England (there are hardly any members in the north) and there are amazing numbers in Essex. I think our branch alone, SE Essex, had something like 400 members. It's not the only tai chi organisation around, but it seems to be the biggest.

From the outset I had some misgivings about its structure. It seemed pretty "cultish" but with some very praiseworthy and altruistic aspects. We paid an annual subscription, but as I mentioned, none of the instructors is paid - they do it entirely out of altruistic motives. When they have instructor training, they have to pay for their travel out of their own pocket, even if this means going to Canada, which it does, reasonably often.

Its founder, Moy Lin Shin, also founded the Fung Loy Kok Institute of Taoism. When I started about 4 years ago, I had never heard of this. However,  in the past year or so it seems to have taken over and the religious element has come to the fore. I didn't want to be any part of this, so I left. I was somewhat disillusioned as, when this takeover was first mooted, our instructor (whom I think is a really good guy, and often would bring in a copy of Gray's Anatomy to explain which joints/bones/muscles a particular exercise was improving), as well as a number of others who occasionally attended our class, seemed to me to be pretty much unanimous that if the religious crept in, they would walk out. This clearly didn't happen.

Every so often there would be a subtle, or not so subtle, change in the exercise we were doing. It was a bit Orwellian: that way of doing things had never existed. The new way of doing things had always existed. The clear question was: if the new way is doing us loads of good, and the old way wasn't why did we ever do things in the old way? I never felt that this question was properly addressed.

Ultimately, it seems to me that the TTCS is not welcoming to people who ask awkward questions or have a tendency to rock the boat. As you can probably imagine, I didn't really feel as though I fitted into such an organisation.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 06 September, 2012, 12:11:45 am »
Spooky! I don't recognise either of those organisations, but I couldn't remember the name of the Tai Chi school or organisation I attended briefly. All I remember is that it was based in Chennai and you had to keep your feet parallel. Different schools of Tai Chi were mentioned but the differences seemed to be mainly in how you did certain exercises. So I thought I'd check my email in case I had some old mails from them, to see their name, and... there's a new mail in my inbox, an invitation to become their Facebook friend!  :o Which I am not going to do, but here they are.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #24 on: 06 September, 2012, 12:19:53 am »
The TTCS seemed to make loads of money. Our membership allowed us to participate in any class. For us, with the oldie concession, it was £100 a year each. That's a lot of cash when about 30 or 40 people seemed to attend each class and the instructor doesn't receive a penny. The TTCS seemed to be able to spend a lot of cash on property: the European Headquarters in is Colchester, they've bought a new place in Maldon and I understand that another new place has opened in Madrid. Mostly, groups met in school premises for which they paid rent. Classes are normally of 2 hours' duration.