Author Topic: Clonky knee  (Read 1164 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Clonky knee
« on: 05 January, 2014, 08:41:44 pm »
After the damage I did to my left knee on this jaunt, it has never fully recovered, even though it happened almost three years ago. It doesn't seem to give me jip when I'm walking or cycling, but when sitting in a chair, or lying in bed, I get some rather unpleasant and occasionally painful clonking sensations as though the lower half of my leg is considering becoming detached from the upper. I am fairly sure it isn't.

I remember hearing something about knee support being better if there's a hole for the patella to poke through. Can the panel please enlighten me on this matter? There may well be GP trip in the not to distant future.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: Clonky knee
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2014, 06:22:04 pm »
IM(non-expert)O, 'support' comes in many different flavours and you need to know what flavour to use for your ailment. I'd definitely recommend seeking unbiased advice regarding the flavour, before you get one.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2014, 10:05:20 pm »
What is it that you want the support to do? Until you answer that question,  the correct knee support is difficult to find. In my experience (many different knee issues, but no medical training) , the neoprene ones offer warmth but previous little else. The full on articulated rigid braces as used after ACL reconstruction seem to actually provide legit support /restriction, but are not much fun to wear and are enormously expensive. If get qualified medical advice before buying anything...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2014, 10:16:05 pm »
I was given some sort of generic elastic one when in Tobermory when I did the damage but I can't find it. It wasn't really my colour anyway, being blue.

I am hoping to make a doc's apptmt for the Cough that Won't Go fairly soon and I'll mention it then.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2014, 11:06:21 pm »
If you want to scare yourself, sit on a table edge with your legs dangling and put a hand on your kneecap as you flex your lower leg to horizontal. Clonky knees seem to be a hazard of an active life, for the first few minutes of any run these days, my knees and ankles click like castanets.

That could be just ligaments or tendons snapping back into place.  Not a problem if it doesn't hurt.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●