Author Topic: NHS Health Check  (Read 7696 times)

Re: NHS Health Check
« Reply #50 on: 23 March, 2017, 12:39:15 pm »
So do people go for regular health checks?

I asked for the first one when at the GP for something else. The second one was done as part of a set of tests done for unrelated reasons. So no, if I hadn’t asked, I wouldn’t know, but I am the sort of person who would be proactive with it. I think hitting 50 is a good time to make oneself aware of a few things like cholesterol and blood pressure, and to have a think about weight. Even if a GP doesn’t ask first, I don’t think many will refuse the request.

« Reply #51 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:59:18 pm »
My gp is ok but the local hospital is dire. It was put into the worst level of special measures any hospital can be put into. The first case in the history of the NHS!

That was a good few years ago now and the body monitoring it has given it s more or less clean bill of health.

We used their services not too long ago and there's some very nice staff but a lot of cold hearted and even cruel ones too. incompetence is still rife. Doctors not reading patients records before seeing them. Medical staff taking samples and accidentally putting them loose into the yellow clinical waste bin only to realise their mistake and root through instead of taking a fresh one. I guess that would mean re-doing the paperwork and sticky labels, etc. Too lazy to do it right. I say lazy not overworked deliberately because they have more than enough time to stand around talking about tv, days away, non-clinical/personal matters for a long period of time.

Then there's changeover times between shifts. One time the new shift stopped in the private nurses room for 45 minutes after the previous shift had long gone chatting away. Meanwhile parents of Ill children were waiting for important matters to be dealt with like pain relieve or important observations. Still the nurses had a good break before work.

BTW that would have been longer than 45 minutes if i hadn't opened the door of the room they were sat in and gave them a dirty look until one of them had no option but ask me what the problem was. I used to be so controlled back then but now if my kid was in pain and long due the next dose of pain relief like in that case I'd not be so controlled now. I've learnt that money isn't the only issue. It's also s problem that there are some jaded, obnoxious, incompetent and borderline inhumane staff working in hospitals. The only people to look after patients interests are patients and family. Stick up for yourself and take control of your treatment! Don't be afraid of arguing with doctors or nurses. Complain if you feel aggrieved over how you are being treated. But thank good staff. Appreciate good service. Don't be afraid to leave some chocolates for good treatment.

Sorry, rant over. I've not got over a recent series of hospital visits where if i took my own advise there would be 5 complaints due to health professionals failings.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #52 on: 23 March, 2017, 08:47:56 pm »
You can have a free cholesterol test every five years if you're over 40, and more often if you are ever diagnosed with high cholesterol.
Sgt Pluck - your dietary experience is similar to mine except that I'm still eating nuts (they are supposed to be ok for cholesterol, if not actually beneficial), really dark chocolate (85%), which is quite medicinal-tasting  :sick:, and I have trouble with fish because I just don't like it much.  One unpleasant side-effect of a high-fibre, leafy-stuff diet is that your poos are going to be 5 or 6 on the Bristol scale, and the chances of an "angel" are remote.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #53 on: 23 March, 2017, 08:52:11 pm »
Almonds are particularly good, cashews, not as good.

Olive oils is excellent to consume.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #54 on: 23 March, 2017, 10:35:55 pm »
Bristol scale

I concur with your numbers, although angels seem to be more frequent than before. I also avoid the, er, extreme that the arse doctors suggest is best avoided.

I forgot to add eggs to the list of things I have not eaten for 3 months, by the way.

Nuts I am in favour of, but as they are high in fat they are on the do not eat list at least for the time being.