Author Topic: Odyssey pedal query  (Read 677 times)

Odyssey pedal query
« on: 15 May, 2020, 08:10:58 pm »
anyone know what this model of pedal is exactly?

I've never seen this model before and I have yet to find any reference to it online.  Otherwise similar models have extra reinforcing ribs in the front and back.

Anyone?

cheers

Re: Odyssey pedal query
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2020, 08:21:14 pm »
They seem to be a niche BMX make. Grandstandv2 PC perhaps?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2020, 08:28:52 pm »
That is an Odyssey copy of the original Shimano DX BMX pedal from the early 1980s. Odyssey did the Gyro and lots of other BMX components. Their best pedals were probably the Triple Traps (though the sealed bearings on the Black Widows were nice) but none of them were actually top line.

I worked in a BMX-focused bike shop in the early 1990s and vaguely recall having problems fitting reflectors to a similar set of Odyssey pedals. The additional fins, etc. on the other versions made it easy to fit reflectors, so that might help date those pedals.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2020, 08:34:12 pm »
'grandstand' is a different shape. My pedals are aluminium for MTB (with 9/16" threads) and most like the 'twisted' models but those are made of plastic (which is what PC means I think) and they have extra webs in them as per OP.

I have no idea how old these pedals are; they came to me attached to a MTB over 30 years old which only had a few more recent parts on it, and these didn't seem to be amongst them. They were dead scabby; they might look half reasonable in the photo but it took about three hours to make them that way and I am not finished yet.

cheers

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2020, 08:41:05 pm »
That is an Odyssey copy of the original Shimano DX BMX pedal from the late ‘70 - mid-‘80s. Odyssey did the Gyro and lots of other BMX components. Their best pedals were probably the Triple Traps but none of them were actually top line.

I had a feeling that you might know; it is kind of what I thought/remembered ( I wasn't keen on flatties at that time so wasn't paying that much attention, ahem.... :P).   However I'm slightly baffled by lack of photos on the interweb….?

Bearings are cup and cone, with rubber seals inboard.  They seem made very similarly to the original DMR V8 both in layout and quality.

BTW it seems they still make triple traps.

cheers