General Category > GPS

Wahoo Elemnt BOLT

(1/53) > >>

nammynake:
I've been using my trusty Garmin 500 for the last few years but time has come to upgrade to something with better mapping. The 'breadcrumb' feature is fine but does result in quite a few about-turns. Not a big issue for occasional use but I'm doing LEL this year and reckon after several days I'll end up throwing the thing into a river.

I've reviewed the options and the new Elemnt Bolt looks just the ticket. The only question I have (and it's a big if) is if you can charge the device while recording. I've searched here and on google but can only find a single reference to the original Elemnt and not the BOLT. Does anyone know if the BOLT will support charging while recording?

Ta

Horizon:
I've got one on order - should be here tomorrow (from Sigma). Using the aero mount sits the Bolt tight up against the stem and effectively blocks the charging socket which is at the bottom (with a blue cover). There are other mounts which should overcome this, inc Wahoo's own stem mount, or the Elemnt out front mount (I think). I can't answer your question directly, but take a look at the unofficial forum - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/wahoo-elemnt-users

I had an original Elemnt but eventually returned it - issues with mapping not rendering and I hated the vague side buttons - I'm hoping this redesign addresses that - certainly the buttons look different.

Edit - looking on the forum it certainly seems possible for the Elemnt, so it should be ok with the Bolt as they are identical inside the case.

stevie63:
I can confirm that it can be charged whilst using. I saw this confirmed by Wahoo themselves on the DC Rainmaker site. I have an Elemnt and I've not had any issues with map rendering so I imagine that this is a bug that they have fixed.

simonp:
When the Elemnt (argh keep having to undo the auto-correct - just added to dictionary) first came out I was interested but it seemed to not be the right fit. It seems from DC Rainmaker's review of the Bolt that a lot of missing features have been added via firmware updates.

I got the impression that charging might be possible with the right connector - I'll receive mine in a couple of weeks and I got a down micro USB connector. I had worried that the charging port might not be accessible at all but they've moved it to the rear. I think this arrangement might be more secure than having it on the bottom.

I've become a bit of a Wahoo collector having an RFLKT+, TickrX and KickR already.

Will report back once it arrives and I've tested it out. One issue I need to solve is how to generate routes for it.

Horizon:

--- Quote from: simonp on 20 March, 2017, 09:19:29 pm ---
I got the impression that charging might be possible with the right connector - I'll receive mine in a couple of weeks and I got a down micro USB connector. I had worried that the charging port might not be accessible at all but they've moved it to the rear. I think this arrangement might be more secure than having it on the bottom.

I've become a bit of a Wahoo collector having an RFLKT+, TickrX and KickR already.

Will report back once it arrives and I've tested it out. One issue I need to solve is how to generate routes for it.

--- End quote ---

The charging port is on the bottom, not the rear. Routes are generated in ridewithgps and synced.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version