Author Topic: Infinity Saddle for Audax  (Read 13849 times)

Infinity Saddle for Audax
« on: 07 January, 2019, 02:24:16 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of the Infinity Saddle which was mentioned very briefly in Arrivee a couple of issues ago?

Apparently they dont suit everyone, but why?

whosatthewheel

Re: Infinity Saddle for Audax
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2019, 02:44:01 pm »
I am not sure I buy into the "less is more" concept of these saddles.

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2019, 02:45:11 pm »
Your dimensions need to, pardon the pun, sit in quite a narrow window, otherwise your sitbones will be pressing against the outer rails.

I have one, haven't ridden more than 130k (in one go) on it yet. I'm on the wide side (I came from a Brooks Cambium C17) and just about fit it. It feels very weird to start with, but becomes akin to a well worn-in leather saddle quite quickly. (I'm not sure if that means 'as good', yet though). The most noticeable thing for me, is with days of consecutive riding, that I don't get that ouchy tenderness on my sit bones when you first plonk back onto the saddle. I am of the boney-arsed flavor.

The jury is still out for me, but it's decent enough that i intend on running it all year.

dat

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2019, 04:40:50 pm »
I'm always trying to find a better saddle. Quite expensive at £300+
http://www.ten-point.co.uk/infinity-saddles/

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2019, 04:46:06 pm »
I've got one. Tried it on a 200k brevet and a couple of shorter rides. Feels a bit weird - not painfully uncomfortable but I found the pressure on the glutes and hamstrings quite unpleasant and fatiguing after a while. I've gone back to my very well worn B17, rode a 200k permanent on it last week and felt more comfortable.

It may work better for lighter riders - I'm 93kg

I'll probably put it up for sale at some point but I'm waiting to hear from a local rider first who expressed interest in trying it.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2019, 09:30:30 pm »
The website quoted above suggests you can hire them to rest out...
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2019, 09:35:54 pm »
The latest models have been available on the US website since December with a $25 discount code available. Limited details on what the improvements might be.

http://infinitybikeseat.com/shop/

Ten Point are not yet advertising the latest models.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2019, 09:49:06 pm »
Hand wrapped in leather - does that mean they need some care like a leather saddle?
Regards,

Joergen

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2019, 10:44:44 pm »
The infinity saddle got a brief write-up in the last but one (Autumn, I think) Arrivee. (Not available on line yet.)
I bought one about 6 months ago. It is easily as comfortable as my well worn in B17 for up to 100km. Not had the opportunity to use it on a longer ride yet - will be doing so this year.
I am 6'3", broad and on the heavy side - it seems to fit me OK.
The leather covering is very nice - I will be using proofhide on it every few months or so just because... :)

« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2019, 07:44:58 am »
I should mention, the curious thing with the infinity is that I find it favours a lesser-padded bibshort.

For years, i've been going thicker with the pad (Lusso became my favourite) to get some relief, but my old worn out Castelli bibs seems to work a treat with it. The Lusso's end up rubbing me on my inner thigh.

« Reply #10 on: 17 January, 2019, 01:35:00 am »
Used to have a fizik which was great upto about400km and then numbness started.
I bought an infinity and have been delighted with it. Maximum is 700k with no problems.

I do agree about needing less padding.

If anybody is selling I would be interested for my other bike.

« Reply #11 on: 17 January, 2019, 01:15:43 pm »
Curious about the Infinity, I emailed Ten-Point about the hire scheme and they replied:

"We offer a hire service for 7 days. (£55 including delivery). You pay the complete price for the saddle (£295) by PayPal (Payment to 10pt @ ten-point.co.uk) or online banking and then return the saddle in the same condition.  We will then refund the difference (£240)."

« Reply #12 on: 08 April, 2019, 10:14:06 am »
My experiment has come to an end.

Having been away riding another bike with a 'normal' saddle for a week, I found getting back on the Infinity gave me a bit of trouble. Back to the Cambium for a bit to reassess.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2019, 11:30:41 am »
My experiment has come to an end.

Having been away riding another bike with a 'normal' saddle for a week, I found getting back on the Infinity gave me a bit of trouble. Back to the Cambium for a bit to reassess.

If you are interested in passing the Infinity along, let me know as I would be interested in giving one a try.  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #14 on: 15 April, 2019, 12:53:30 pm »
So far I have used my Infinity saddle on a 200 and 400k rides and I love it.  No discomfort at all during these long rides although it does take a while to get used to.

« Reply #15 on: 27 March, 2020, 04:33:19 pm »
Has anyone else been using one of these saddles yet?

Interestingly, I noticed one of the first three to finish last year's PBP was using one (he was American!)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #16 on: 27 March, 2020, 05:26:53 pm »
I have 2 of these.
I like them. The furthest I have done outdoors since getting them is ~150k which isn't really long distance but it was a doddle with no rear end problems. SWMBO is vetoing longer rides :(
More telling, I have one on the indoor turbo and that is very comfortable - I have always found the turbo inclement on the back end after any length of time, curtailing sessions but now have no problems with the infinity.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:04:34 am »
I forgot to update this thread! Yes, I was lucky enough to get one of these, Peat's one actually!
It took a while to get the level just right and I went for another bike fit to get me to a baseline to help.  Once dialled in it was great and I successfully did PBP on it. 
I've only got 2 issues with it, one was that approaching distances of 600km or so I was getting a bit sore where the top of my shorts pad was, using the thinnest pad shorts I had seemed to help a bit.
The second issue was the length of the nose, the one I have is a longer nose, and as such in the drops or on aerobars you certainly feel it!  The shorter nose version might remove this issue.
The saddle was so good that during my October long tour of france I was riding without any chamois cream.

Drawbacks of the saddle, well if we ignore the expense of it!....
 -  It's still a leather saddle - so needs protecting from the rain (I think they might do an uncovered version?)
 -  I'm not convinced on the build quality, the construction under the nose where the rails meet is a bit wobbly on mine now and there is no way to resolve this.  It's not fallen apart but keeps giving the impression it will... 

However, it cured all my saddle woes which was the main point in trying it.  These were residual from LEL some years before and no amount of trying saddles get over the issue but I think the ability to be suspended in the cutout shape of the Infinity allowed whatever the problem was to heal and now I am comfortable on the LEL saddles (though not as much as the Infinity :) )

If I had the spare money and it was a little cheaper I would get another, the shorter nose version certainly.  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #18 on: 30 March, 2020, 10:08:58 am »
Delighted that it's found it's 'forever home'!  :thumbsup:

dat

« Reply #19 on: 13 April, 2020, 12:45:24 pm »
I’ve just grabbed an e2 from eBay. I’ll report back on how I find it.

« Reply #20 on: 13 April, 2020, 06:17:30 pm »
I've looked at their shop linked above. I'm unable to understand why their water bottle does not follow the brand and have cut-outs similar to those on the saddles.

dat

« Reply #21 on: 13 April, 2020, 08:02:24 pm »
It does have a cut out, how do you thing you get the water in  ::-)

« Reply #22 on: 23 January, 2021, 05:54:45 pm »
I don't suppose anyone has an Infinity Seat they want to sell?  :)

« Reply #23 on: 24 January, 2021, 08:38:45 am »
There is one on eBay at the moment.

« Reply #24 on: 24 January, 2021, 10:25:52 am »
There is one on eBay at the moment.
thanks!