Off Topic > The Pub

Science that makes you cringe

<< < (57/94) > >>

rogerzilla:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62672964

--- Quote ---"We've had no support here from the government at all," said Ms Lovegrove.

"We will provide the heating for the children, we will just ask parents to put an extra layer in the children's bags so we don't need to have the heating on for the entire day."

She said that as the weather gets colder DaisyChain nursery in Weston-super-Mare will warm the building before children arrive but then only put it on for 10 to 20 minutes every hour to keep it at an ambient 20 degrees, rather than the usual 21 or 22 degrees.
--- End quote ---

Just turn the thermostat down to 20, Ms Lovegrove  :facepalm:  Unless there is no thermostat, in which case they are about £20 and easy to fit.

Kim:
I saw that and thought that it's ether someone with all the SCIENCE education of a typical primary teacher, or they're using those paraffin heaters from ian's youth.

Out of morbid curiosity, I poked around on Google, and discovered that the nursery in question does appear to be based in one of those portacabins from ian's youth, and for extra irony, the heating appears to be via a split-unit air conditioner (which Shirley has a thermostat), short-circuited by some generous air vents.  Heat pumps ftw!

Tim Hall:
When I'm in power, one of the things taught in schools, along with reading and writing will be thermostats. Lesson 2 will be "turning the thermostat up doesn't make the room heat quicker."

citoyen:

--- Quote from: Tim Hall on 25 August, 2022, 07:30:02 pm ---When I'm in power, one of the things taught in schools, along with reading and writing will be thermostats. Lesson 2 will be "turning the thermostat up doesn't make the room heat quicker."

--- End quote ---

Can I pre-book a place on that course for my wife, please?

Kim:
Call it 'cybernetics' and people might even pay attention.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version