General Category > GPS

Using a phone instead of a GPS device

(1/18) > >>

Frank9755:
Has anyone abandoned Garmin, Wahoo and the rest in favour of just using a phone app? 

I'm looking into the feasibility of it, mainly because my old Garmin 705 won't last for ever and I've not found any of the current crop of GPS devices do exactly what I want.

I already use OSMAnd+ for navigation (by which I mean giving me a line to follow - I virtually never want a device to give me turn by turn navigation) from time to time and find it excellent as the big screen has far more detail and better mapping than a GPS. 

What I want to know is what are the best apps to use for capturing ride data in a form that can be imported to other systems (ie not Strava which doesn't give you the ability to re-export your own data)?

Drawbacks from phones that I can see are battery life, waterproofness and screen visibility (too bright at night, not bright enough in the sun).  The first two can be got round with a power bank and a plastic bag, but I'd need to do more testing to have a view on the last one. 

Any thoughts welcome, although ideally not multiple posts on the three drawbacks above!

grams:
I've only ever done navigation by phone for long distance riding. I can't imagine being confined to tiny screen and not being able to easily browse ahead or look around the map.

A lot of phones are waterproof. All iPhones from the 7 upwards, and various random Androids (mostly high end, with a few low-end "rugged" phones from never-heard-of-them manufacturers). The touchscreens still become unusable in heavy rain, and moisture in the charging port is a huge worry.

I got an iPhone 11 Pro last year, which is my first OLED - on those power consumption is proportional to the number of illuminated pixels. Combined with "dark mode" this more than doubles battery life - I get around 13 hours screen on, including podcast listening and without using airplane mode or any low power settings. This phone also supports fast charging from a USB C power bank, so between the two I should never have to charge on the bike. It also has Qi charging in case of charging port issues.

I wrote my own app for navigating with. It displays and logs speed/cadence/HRM/Power/Di2 data, and can export all except Di2.

(I don't really recommend navigating with one app and logging with another, as both iOS and Android can't be trusted not to kill background apps)

telstarbox:
Strava can export a GPX file from your recorded ride if that's what you meant?

grams:

--- Quote from: telstarbox on 23 February, 2020, 04:23:15 pm ---Strava can export a GPX file from your recorded ride if that's what you meant?

--- End quote ---

It does yeah, including sensor data.

On the other hand, they dropped support for using external sensors with their own phone app recently, claiming it crashed the app too much (i.e. they couldn't be bothered fixing it).

Frank9755:
Thanks, interesting. 

Just had a quick look at your app, which seems lovely, clean and simple.  It doesn't quite have all the display feilds that I would like, but I expect nothing will have exactly what I want, but it looks pretty good.  Does it need an internet connection to get google maps, or is there a way of caching maps in advance?

--- Quote from: grams on 23 February, 2020, 03:45:09 pm ---I've only ever done navigation by phone for long distance riding. I can't imagine being confined to tiny screen and not being able to easily browse ahead or look around the map.

A lot of phones are waterproof. All iPhones from the 7 upwards, and various random Androids (mostly high end, with a few low-end "rugged" phones from never-heard-of-them manufacturers). The touchscreens still become unusable in heavy rain, and moisture in the charging port is a huge worry.

I got an iPhone 11 Pro last year, which is my first OLED - on those power consumption is proportional to the number of illuminated pixels. Combined with "dark mode" this more than doubles battery life - I get around 13 hours screen on, including podcast listening and without using airplane mode or any low power settings. This phone also supports fast charging from a USB C power bank, so between the two I should never have to charge on the bike. It also has Qi charging in case of charging port issues.

I wrote my own app for navigating with. It displays and logs speed/cadence/HRM/Power/Di2 data, and can export all except Di2.

(I don't really recommend navigating with one app and logging with another, as both iOS and Android can't be trusted not to kill background apps)

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version