Author Topic: e-scooter trial  (Read 91183 times)

Re: e-scooter trial
« Reply #550 on: 14 June, 2022, 01:51:45 pm »
Is geo-fencing what stops me from taking a Sainsbury's trolley beyond the car park?

« Reply #551 on: 14 June, 2022, 02:03:16 pm »
I'm very impressed by the geo-fencing that prevents the scooters from being ridden where they shouldn't. It seems to be very precise.

It raises the obvious question: If we can make scooters drop to walking speed in a pedestrianised area, why can't we make cars obey the speed limit?

Or for that matter, if we can make hire bikes refuse to terminate the hire period outside an authorised dock, why can't we make cars that won't lock if they're parked on the pavement.

Very good question. Lack of political will?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #552 on: 14 June, 2022, 02:11:52 pm »
Is geo-fencing what stops me from taking a Sainsbury's trolley beyond the car park?

I think that's an induction loop type thing.  Triggers a solenoid in the trolley wheel.

« Reply #553 on: 14 June, 2022, 03:52:27 pm »
I have been using a scooter for the last 48 hours in Nuremberg. They are remarkably easy to get started on but I found the top speed rather scary. I also expected that turning off the accelerator would slow the scooter down much more than it did and we surprised to need the brakes quite a lot. Part of the problem I think is that the general public is not used to people whizzing around on machinery in the UK. Here in Germany I think there have been so many cyclists for so long that everybody is used to having to look out for moving objects. It is interesting that the only times I have had is someone stepped out in front of me on the bike is when passing a hotel of the Ibis/Hilton type used by tourists from overseas.

I certainly would not be using a scooter with only one hand, making a telephone call simultaneously or any other source of reduced concentration. However I suspect like many things young people adapt to these very much faster than oldies like myself.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #554 on: 25 June, 2022, 10:47:53 am »
I'm very impressed by the geo-fencing that prevents the scooters from being ridden where they shouldn't. It seems to be very precise.

It raises the obvious question: If we can make scooters drop to walking speed in a pedestrianised area, why can't we make cars obey the speed limit?

Or for that matter, if we can make hire bikes refuse to terminate the hire period outside an authorised dock, why can't we make cars that won't lock if they're parked on the pavement.
Good call on both points.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #555 on: 25 June, 2022, 10:33:00 pm »
Sure, Charly.  The technology exists to control the hire ones, I know.  (Some of ours ended up in the river, too!)  It's controlling the use/modification of private ones that is the problem.

Someone said earlier that it was a good idea to give young people the opportunity to get used to traffic and road use but making scooters available is not the answer.  Even if you had courses, there are enough kids who just don't care about regulations.  And I don't buy the NRA argument that it isn't scooters, it's people.  If it's people, don't give them scooters - unless there is serious regulation.

I'm afraid (much like USAnian gun laws) that moment has passed.

People have access to escooters, esitdownscooters and e-bikes based around a 'safety bicycle' frame all capable of keeping up with (and passing) other local motorised traffic
which are for all purposes e-motorbikes.

The legislations lags so severely that companies like Segway (launched in 1999) have not gained any foothold in gaining a legal approval for use on public areas.

Remember how long people were using LED bike lights for?
How long did it take to update the legislation, and how many bike lights actually conform to the UK regs?

For that last one, I'll give you a clue: it's the same number of starter homes built during the Conservative government between 2014 and 2019.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #556 on: 26 June, 2022, 07:59:04 pm »
Hi Peter, I agree with your rage against unregulated scooters - it's worse in that for some reason the country allows the import of these unlicensed vehicles that can even catch fire and burn down homes/trains.

It's not going to be my priority or get close to that until we've tackled unlicensed drivers, uninsured drivers, drivers who speed and drivers who park in such a way as to put pedestrians at risk.  And all the other pollution/health car issues have been resolved. 
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #557 on: 27 June, 2022, 02:06:23 pm »
There was nearly one fewer anbaric scooterist just now when the clod decided he'd got the wrong exit from the maze under the Crooked Billet roundabout and promptly did a U-turn in front of me and the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle  >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #558 on: 27 June, 2022, 08:09:42 pm »

There is some legislation, but it's a bit useless.  Across the EU, from July all new vehicles will be required to have a speed limiter, to restrict the car to the prevailing speed limit, based on its location.  However, it can be overridden by simply stamping on the accelerator.  The UK hasn't yet definitely confirmed it will also require the same for UK vehicles, but it's likely most manufacturers will include the technology.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/driving-tech/mandatory-speed-limiters-set-for-uk-cars-can-be-overridden/

Over time it's possible the courts might take a dim view if someone crashed following them overriding the limiter.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #559 on: 27 June, 2022, 08:49:51 pm »
Hi Peter, I agree with your rage against unregulated scooters - it's worse in that for some reason the country allows the import of these unlicensed vehicles that can even catch fire and burn down homes/trains.

It's not going to be my priority or get close to that until we've tackled unlicensed drivers, uninsured drivers, drivers who speed and drivers who park in such a way as to put pedestrians at risk.  And all the other pollution/health car issues have been resolved.

Yes, I agree with you about where the bigger problems lie, fd3 and where the pressure for regulation should be strongest.  What galls me particularly about the e-bike, e-scooter misuse is that it was all perfectly predictable and has come to pass as people said it would.  Is there nobody in the Department for Transport, or Trade and Industry whose remit is to consider "what if?"? 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #560 on: 27 June, 2022, 11:56:48 pm »
Surely such people would have to be Experts?  And we know full well what the current crop of blockheaded politicos think of Experts.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #561 on: 28 June, 2022, 12:53:52 am »
Such cynicism in one so young!

« Reply #562 on: 02 July, 2022, 07:51:51 am »
I don't understand what people in the various government agencies are supposed to have done. Schoolkid, riding an illegal scooter on the pavement, knocked over and killed someone. I count 5 illegal things there - should they make it more illegal?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #563 on: 13 July, 2022, 11:49:20 am »
Voi has become a verb, like hoover, though it's still capitalized in this example:
Walk, drive, cycle or Voi through any configuration of ten consecutive streets, and you’ll end up in a vastly different place from the one you started in.
I doubt it will catch on as Voi's presence is still geographically restricted and we already have the perfectly good verb 'scoot' or maybe 'scooter'. So far, it's just local journalism written by "a trainer and consultant in the coffee industry."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #564 on: 15 July, 2022, 01:14:52 pm »
https://twitter.com/liamthorpecho/status/1547914367441571841

The formal coup de grace for the old Citybike hire scheme. I’ve not seen one of the green bikes for ages & the electric replacements seem to be mainly used by food couriers.  A pity as I personally preferred them to the Voi scooters.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #565 on: 16 July, 2022, 12:48:04 am »
I didn't realise it was illegal to carry an e scooter via TFL.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/escooters-transport-for-london-tube-tram-ban-prosecutions-fire-safety-b1012443.html?amp=#amp_agsa_csa=49326498&amp_ct=1657928170454&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16579269304762&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

Using an e scooter either side of a ride on public transport, would have been my only reason for getting one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #566 on: 16 July, 2022, 12:46:25 pm »
There was a fire once, and they wanted to clamp down on people carrying lithium batteries on trains that go in tunnels in a way that would discriminate primarily against feckless yoof, and therefore not cause a fuss.

You're still welcome to bring your laptops, electric wheelchairs, power tools, filming equipment, etc. on the tube.  (Though you might reasonably assume the batteries on such are molished to a somewhat higher standard than grey-import scooters.)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #567 on: 16 July, 2022, 12:56:39 pm »
Is it illegal to take an e-bike on the tube? Not that I'm thinking of doing so.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #568 on: 16 July, 2022, 01:09:08 pm »
I think there are already rules about bikes on the deep lines.  Maybe a folding bike...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #569 on: 16 July, 2022, 01:11:04 pm »
Last time I looked you could take bikes on the Circle Line outside of peak hours.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/cycles-on-public-transport

There's the page. E-scooters not allowed. No mention of e-bikes so far as I can see.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #570 on: 16 July, 2022, 01:33:15 pm »
Yes, the circle line is sub-surface; bigger trains and much more room to evacuate along the tunnel.

« Reply #571 on: 16 July, 2022, 01:46:03 pm »
No e-scooters and no e-unicycles folded or unfolded as of last December on any TfL premises or services.
I hear the Tannoy announcement a several of times every week.
FWIW I would not want to be in a tunnel section when a shonky LiPo elects to flambe.
Would Inspector Sands report immediately to the control room, and all that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #572 on: 16 July, 2022, 02:34:43 pm »
Fires in tunnels are what people who know about tunnels worry about instead of tunnels collapsing.

« Reply #573 on: 16 July, 2022, 02:46:28 pm »
Fires in tunnels are what people who know about tunnels worry about instead of tunnels collapsing.
If you are interested, read up on the Mont Blanc tunnel fire.
It was something like 5 days before it was cool enough for anyone to go back in there.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #574 on: 16 July, 2022, 02:47:29 pm »

Watching the videos of Space Karen's LA drainpipe the thing that really struck me was: What the fuck happens if one of those teslas go into thermal run away? Has any safety been built into the system. ?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/