Author Topic: Zwifting - I think I need help!  (Read 76782 times)

Re: Zwifting - I think I need help!
« Reply #525 on: 28 October, 2021, 01:04:38 pm »
In the game click on 'Menu' then click the edit icon by your name (top left).  That brings up your profile and will show you your current FTP.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #526 on: 28 October, 2021, 04:48:28 pm »
Thanks!

« Reply #527 on: 29 October, 2021, 03:57:46 pm »
Entered a short ZHQ FutureWorks race this afternoon.  They decided I was sandbagging and limited my power.  I went from second to last! 

Will definitely be back for more.  I don't know how you can ride the race and chat.

« Reply #528 on: 29 October, 2021, 05:42:56 pm »
What power category was that in?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #529 on: 29 October, 2021, 09:19:54 pm »
In the real world, what motivates you to ride?

I get bored with it- I know the roads, I've got all the badges I'll ever get, the group ride chit chat can be tedious.
But I'm in a team, and I race (badly). That's pretty motivating.
I'm in a similar position - including the (badly) bit! We've had inter-club TTs for years with two or three other local clubs. They went onto Zwift in lockdown, and that was fun. A repeat for the winter has just been announced, so I'll do that. I do like the sportives as well - I don't do chat because I'm using a basic tablet and it's fully occupied just showing me the road. Never done any training and probably never will.

But there are routes that I do like, and Zwift lets me do 30 or 60 minutes when I probably wouldn't bother in the real world. So not having too much of a boredom problem, even 18 months in.

« Reply #530 on: 30 October, 2021, 07:55:01 pm »
I was in  Category D yesterday as not sure what to expect. Tonight I did another race on the Innsbruck world in cat C and came in 31/38 in GroupC. So I probably was in the wrong group yesterday.

Certainly the most entertaining and motivating way of getting a hard 45 minute workout which was about 70 minutes with warm up and cool down.

I would certainly never go that hard outside on the road.

« Reply #531 on: 31 October, 2021, 04:03:25 pm »
That’s probably why you were flagged. I’ve never had the pleasure. I am hold my own in D but tend to finish mid-pack. I often go to C which is a real workout for me. Usually come nowhere but then I’m just after a good workout.

Looking at  Zwift Power afterwards, I can see that lots of people ride in groups way lower than the power they make. Egos have a lot to answer for 😀
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #532 on: 02 November, 2021, 10:07:44 am »
Looking at  Zwift Power afterwards, I can see that lots of people ride in groups way lower than the power they make. Egos have a lot to answer for 😀
So a complete twatbucket with a 20min power of 4.33w/kg was riding as a D in the 3R race I did last night.  He must have missed the first selection, but on the second lap up Box Hill I was doing 330W and he was catching me hand-over-fist!   ???

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #533 on: 02 November, 2021, 11:50:00 am »
So a complete twatbucket with a 20min power of 4.33w/kg was riding as a D in the 3R race I did last night.  He must have missed the first selection, but on the second lap up Box Hill I was doing 330W and he was catching me hand-over-fist!   ???
Cheating in Zwift is well documented. I've seen stack loads of threads on the various Zwift forums which includes posts by people who openly admitted to cheating. Makes for some interesting reading.

I got DQ'd from my first ever race. I was a complete novice to Zwift and racing so I had no idea where I ranked within the category system. I opted for D, got DQ'd and readup as to why. I now enter C cat rides and am accurate with respect to weight but see other Cat C people pissing all over me...

« Reply #534 on: 02 November, 2021, 06:56:23 pm »
The only racing I do is inter-club time trials. Categories are irrelevant because we just take finish times. Anyone really exaggerating would probably be spotted because of discrepancies against results in real-world races ;D

« Reply #535 on: 04 November, 2021, 01:46:19 pm »
I've tried free trial of zwift on a tablet and am likely to sign up for annual subscription. I'd like to use a TV mounted on a wall bracket. Does the TV need to be Bluetooth? I'm using a Wattbike

« Reply #536 on: 04 November, 2021, 02:31:49 pm »
I use an Apple Tv to run Zwift and also a PC both connected to a wall mounted TV.

The connection is with a simple HDMI cable.  If you are using it on a tablet you probably have socket to which an hdmi adapter can be connected.  Alternatively chromecast or other systems are available.

« Reply #537 on: 04 November, 2021, 10:09:29 pm »
I've tried free trial of zwift on a tablet and am likely to sign up for annual subscription. I'd like to use a TV mounted on a wall bracket. Does the TV need to be Bluetooth? I'm using a Wattbike

Which variety of Wattbike? The Atom is interactive on gradients I believe, the older ones you need to increase effort/ gear for hills.
I use an older Pro version, works fine with the Zwift app. Possibly too well, because Wattbikes are usually cruelly accurate on power, as opposed to some other setups.

PaulF

« Reply #538 on: 19 November, 2021, 05:03:32 pm »
Anyone else visited Neokyo yet?

Lots of bright lights and the big city, think I like it :thumbsup:

« Reply #539 on: 19 November, 2021, 05:09:57 pm »
I randomly ended up there last night while warming up for my race.  It looked pretty good although the rapid twists and turns tend to do my head in!

« Reply #540 on: 19 November, 2021, 11:08:10 pm »
A bit jerky on my ancient PC; did one of the longer rides tonight and I get the definite feeling that it's theoretically flat nature actually hides a lot a probably 0/9% up and downs...

Also, at least one of the sprints isn't working at all, and the upcoming sprint/kom warnings appear to be non-existent, and some have no hint of their length, which makes pacing impossible. You'd think they'd have that sort of basic function sorted by now...
Back in the saddle :)

« Reply #541 on: 27 November, 2021, 05:38:05 pm »
Uber pretzel done with 2 episodes of Hawkeye, several of the Falcon and the winter soldier. Now just descending at 65kph for the extra points.

« Reply #542 on: 29 November, 2021, 10:28:19 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #543 on: 29 November, 2021, 01:38:01 pm »
Really weird one yesterday. I signed up for a group ride of just over 20 miles. After about five miles or so, the entire remainder of the field vanished (into the ether, not up the road as usual!) I was left as the only rider on the name board as well. So I did the remaining fifteen miles on my own. With a mile to go, all the names came back. I still couldn't see anyone, but there was no-one within 30 seconds of me anyway, either in front or behind, which probably explains that.

Bit of a washout as a group ride, even if the ride itself was OK.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #544 on: 29 November, 2021, 02:14:18 pm »
That's a loss of connection to the Zwift server. Most likely at your end, but could be anywhere in the system.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #545 on: 29 November, 2021, 03:26:35 pm »
I had some weirdness yesterday. Completed the Alpe du Zwift route via a group meetup and was coasting back down and the screen froze and locked me out. Thought I'd lost the ride completely and it didn't record to Strava. The ride eventually appeared on the Companion App but was corrupted, however, I had enough info to manually create a ride on Strava.

The other guys on the ride all got kicked out too.

« Reply #546 on: 29 November, 2021, 07:31:13 pm »
That's a loss of connection to the Zwift server. Most likely at your end, but could be anywhere in the system.
Interesting. I've never quite worked out how much of the courses and scenery and so on are stored locally, and how much obtained on demand. So I assumed that the fact that I was still able to ride meant that I was still connected.

PaulF

« Reply #547 on: 29 November, 2021, 08:26:46 pm »
As it works without a network connection I assume the world is stored locally but obviously if you’re not connected to the internet you’re riding alone

« Reply #548 on: 29 November, 2021, 08:42:19 pm »
My assumption is it's a normal computer game that might as well have come on a CD-ROM and the only thing coming from the network is your LAN party buddies the other riders. None of the worlds is big enough to need to stream it in.

If it were streaming it might be able to switch worlds a bit quicker.

I'd love to know how drafting behaviour is implemented, since everyone influences one another which in turn influences your relative positions which influences your drafting, so it needs a pretty tight feedback loop. I presume there's some horrible bodge somewhere.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #549 on: 30 November, 2021, 05:06:29 am »
Interesting. I've never quite worked out how much of the courses and scenery and so on are stored locally, and how much obtained on demand. So I assumed that the fact that I was still able to ride meant that I was still connected.

It's a great trick to deploy if you want to ride alone. Load up the program, then disable the computer's connection to the internet. Ride any course (if you have the course hack) in glorious solitude!