Author Topic: Epping Forest New Road- Safety Improvements  (Read 1932 times)

Epping Forest New Road- Safety Improvements
« on: 13 September, 2023, 11:35:04 am »
Hello, I've heard that Essex County Council and Epping Forest District Council have plans and the funds to" improve" road safety on the Epping New Road. Their proposals concern the section of the road from the Waltham Forest border up to the Wakes Arms roundabout; that's where the Miller and Carter restaurant is.

Clearly, this interests any of us who cycle out to Essex from East or NE London or who use the Forest for off-road riding. As you'll know, if you ride this road, at the moment its cycling infrastructure consists of painted cycle paths on either side of the road and small sections of shared pavement. At the southern end, the path is little better than a gutter and has an appalling road surface. Many cyclists avoid using it; which is not without risk.

The proposals include reducing the speed limit, the installation of speed cameras, and better crossing places at a number of points. However, what concerns me is a proposal to include crossing places with islands in the centre of the carriageway.

Crossing the Eppimg New Road is a challenge for walkers, horseriders, and cyclists. So whilst better and safer crossing places are a good thing, I worry that the crossing islands will create pinch points that narrow the road, leave less space for cyclists, and increase the incidence of close passes.
If you regularly ride this road, then you'll know that this already happens in front of the Warren Wood pub at the Buckhurst Hill end of the Epping New Road. That's where the road's been narrowed for parking and it has, I think, a crossing island. In my view, installing Pelican or Zebra crossings along the New Road would be as effective but also safer.

Not sure what's planned for the cycle paths; but a better surface, clearer marking, and keeping the path free of road debris and vegetation would improve things immeasurably.

So some good things and some bad things. At present, I am trying to find out if there's a consultation happening and when the final decisions will be made. If the papers and maps are available I will post links.
If you are in a club or a group that used the New Road then do let your members know about this.
I can also pass on views through the Epping Forest Heritage Trust https://efht.org.uk/ of which I am a member and volunteer with ; which is how I came to hear about this.

Re: Epping Forest New Road- Safety Improvements
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2023, 12:38:12 pm »

Not sure what's planned for the cycle paths; but a better surface, clearer marking, and keeping the path free of road debris and vegetation would improve things immeasurably.

This, in spades. The current situation is slightly better than it used to be but there are still places like this gem, and the surface has to be felt to be believed.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2023, 01:19:08 pm »
Do you have connections to local LCC groups? A lot of members from Hackney, Tower Hamlets and probably other NE London boroughs will ride that way as individuals and sometimes as groups.

« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2023, 03:10:43 pm »
Along with many London cyclists this is my main route out to the Essex lanes and must have ridden it hundreds of times. They actually managed to make it significantly more unpleasant for cyclists when they "resurfaced' it years ago and even now it's still a worse ride than it was previously - the joy of tar and chip!

I complained to Essex roads dept at the time. Even when there were drifts of loose gravel across the road and gathering in the cycling line they refused to install temporary speed cameras, with the result your legs were shot-blasted with sharp stones for weeks due to motorists ignoring the polite 20mph signage.

I've never understood the authority's attitude to this particular road. They could be making an absolute fortune by having average-speed cameras. Almost every car currently breaks the speed limit, some crazily. The revenue generated could have paid for tarmacking the entire road from Woodbridge to Epping and installing dedicated cycle lanes (in contrast to the current jokes which are actually dangerous to use due to the surface and sunk drain  overs).

I really hope change occurs. It would make a huge difference for the many thousands of cyclists like me who currently suffer this road with a sense of dread.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2023, 06:54:29 pm »

I really hope change occurs. It would make a huge difference for the many thousands of cyclists like me who currently suffer this road with a sense of dread.

Sent from my 21051182G using Tapatalk

Or those like me who will avoid it wherever possible. (Friends just outside Epping mean that I use it enough to confirm my continuing prejudice)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2023, 07:14:30 pm »

I've never understood the authority's attitude to this particular road. They could be making an absolute fortune by having average-speed cameras. Almost every car currently breaks the speed limit, some crazily. The revenue generated could have paid for tarmacking the entire road from Woodbridge to Epping and installing dedicated cycle lanes (in contrast to the current jokes which are actually dangerous to use due to the surface and sunk drain  overs).

Government rules means cameras can only be installed if there's been at least 2 deaths or serious injuries on 1 km of the road in the last 3 years.  And the council would have to be convinced that installing cameras would improve overall road safety.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2023, 08:55:35 pm »
The  details of the proposed changes are on page 45

https://democracy.cityoflondon.gov.uk/documents/b80591/For%20Information%20Items%2014th-Sep-2023%2011.00%20Epping%20Forest%20Commons%20Committee.pdf?T=9

Yes, London LCC are aware; but this road is in Essex .

I do have some concerns that LCC will go for a Dutch style, separated infrastructure.  For a number of reasons, this won't work on this stretch of road.

« Reply #7 on: 13 September, 2023, 10:42:57 pm »
The current provision along that stretch is easily the worst cycling infrastructure I have ever experienced which says a lot given I live in Essex.  Very poor surface, pinch points created purely by inadequate road layout, cycle lane diverting on to an unlit shared path that is in turn often covered by large tree trunks at the most dangerous point for cyclists (car park entrances) etc.  Having been bought up in Woodford and cycled this road regularly at various times over the last 45 years, it was far safer for cyclists before any  “road safety schemes” were implemented.  Yes, it was a 60mph road for almost the whole length but the width was not constrained by any hatchings or central refuges so cars could give bikes plenty of space without hardly needing to cross the white line.  It’s horrendous now and I doubt this scheme will do anything but make it worse still.

« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2023, 10:47:46 pm »
Essex Highways are leading on the scheme and will shortly commence an engagement exercise with key stakeholders.

Methinks it's an exercise solely to make it safer for walkers and mountain bikers to cross the A104 although there's no mention of walking or cycling specifically within the agenda item. 
There has been precious little done since this nebulous wish list concerning the Epping New Road [see route 45] dating back to March 2018.
https://www.essexhighways.org/uploads/files/getting%20around/cycling/epping-forest-district-cycle-action-plan.pdf

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #9 on: 14 September, 2023, 02:04:34 pm »
In my view, installing Pelican or Zebra crossings along the New Road would be as effective but also safer.

I don't think zebra crossings can be installed in non-streetlit areas.

Pelicans are probably unlikely to be justified by the vehicle/pedestrian numbers formula most councils use.

Why do you think Dutch style infrastructure wouldn't work?

« Reply #10 on: 14 September, 2023, 02:56:32 pm »
It won't work here because there's no space for it.

« Reply #11 on: 14 September, 2023, 04:23:50 pm »
I'd settle for reasonable width, decently surfaced and marked plain old cycle lane.

At the moment we have a horrendously surfaced, ridiculously narrow and largely unmarked joke of a facility, complete with pinch points at the most hazardous points. I'm sure I'm not the only who avoids using it, preferring to take my chances further out on the road on the basis it's probably less dangerous.

The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #12 on: 14 September, 2023, 08:04:06 pm »
As would I.

« Reply #13 on: 03 October, 2023, 03:06:58 pm »
Good afternoon,

I am currently writing up a summary of the responses to the proposal, both from here and elsewhere.

So, if you still want to express a view on how this road can be made safer for cyclists, let me know.