General Category > Folders

How do people carry luggage on a folder?

(1/3) > >>

mzjo:
I am just starting to explore ideas to get more out of my folder - nothing planned, just ideas to make it a bit more versatile than it is. It has to be said that most of my touring ideas would be just as easily, if not much more easily with a conventional tourer but no harm in looking at what is possible.

I would assume that most, if not all, of the Brompton school on here would fall into one of two categories, Brompton specific luggage or rucksack. How do the others do things (if they bother)? All ideas welcome.

Second question: The Montana has a rear carrier which is 30cm long by 14cm wide. I get heel strike with anything strapped onto it that is at the front and overlaps even a bit. Does anyone have any ideas about specific bags that would go on without overlapping the sides. I really don't know where to look, I'm even thinking of making a basket that could be strapped or bungied to make it easily removable, just to make something that would be easier to live with than a musette.

Third question: I have a barbag that would go on but have my doubts about trying it with the vertical length of the stem. Any ideas?

Final question: anyone using panniers on their folder? How far behind the rear wheel can you go? I have some big ones that would go on the back but heel strike with size 11 feet is always a problem ( I don't use them on the back of a conventional bike for the same reason.) I am tempted to try them or some smaller ones to see if I can get away with it. Putting panniers on the front would be a solution but needs some customizing to make a suitable carrier.

Just ideas for a cold and wet winter's afternoon.

grams:
The space to exploit on a folder is above the wheels. Bungeeing a hiking racksack to the back of the seatpost is a good place to start. I've bungeed a tent and sleeping bag this way (each parallel to the seatpost).

--- Quote from: mzjo on 06 December, 2020, 01:29:17 pm ---Third question: I have a barbag that would go on but have my doubts about trying it with the vertical length of the stem. Any ideas?
--- End quote ---

The leverage exerted by a bar bag will be a fraction of that exerted by the great ape at the controls.

Kim:
The Brompton luggage block is the gold standard for good reason, to the point that some people fit them to non-Brompton bikes.

Rear-rack-wise, I used one of those over-the-top style pannier things on my 20"-wheeled folding BSO.  Worked fine (no heel strike because flat pedals), with the occasional wheelie.  I've experimentally tried fitting my Ortlieb Front-Rollers to the rear rack on my Brompton, but it isn't really a practical option.

I have used a Carradice racktop bag with the Brompton rear rack, which works fine.  Radical make a larger capacity racktop bag for the purpose.  But Brompton rear racks aren't a particularly convenient way to carry luggage, as it defeats the partial-fold-as-kickstand function, and adds faff.  They're best regarded as a way of adding stability when folded and protecting the rear mudguard, that can be used to carry additional stuff on special occasions.  (No problem bungeeing on a big pack of loo roll on the way home from a shop, for example.)

A bit of a tourist thing, but you can hang a rucksack behind the saddle, with the rear rack supporting most of the weight.  Add toe-straps or velcro for stability to taste.

Paul H:

--- Quote from: mzjo on 06 December, 2020, 01:29:17 pm --- I'm even thinking of making a basket that could be strapped or bungied to make it easily removable, just to make something that would be easier to live with than a musette.

--- End quote ---
When I had a Dahon, I used a cheap wire basket (Similar to an Adie) on the rack, held there with a couple of toe straps. It wasn't a bike I was ever tempted to tour on, but it carried a fair bit of work stuff and shopping, usually in a simple backpack, 25l I think.  TBH I didn't like it loaded up, the handling with a bit of veg shopping (Maybe 15 kg) was enough to make me nervous. Doesn't help that those racks are pretty flexible.  YMMV of course, but before putting to much effort into it, might be an idea to do some loaded miles, even if that's just by strapping some weight to the rack.

quixoticgeek:

I use a caradice SQR block on the seat post, and then I bungee a 30L dry bag to that. Surprisingly effective.

J

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version