General Category > Health & Fitness

Experiences of Teh Plague

(1/183) > >>

Ham:
As I sit here, bemused by my C-19 positive test, I was thinking I'd really like to understand other people's experience, and I'm not jumping back in to the gushing river that is the POBI coronavirus thread to do it.

Bemused? Yes. Not because I've no symptoms, but the background is strange.

Before Christmas, I had cold, with a bad night time cough. No fever or other symptoms. Night time cough is  a standard for me and colds, ever since years ago when I tried ignoring a chest infection and pneumonia, so I didn't go for a test. It cleared up. over two weeks later, Mrs Ham started exhibiting similar symptoms, it appeared too long a gap to have been infected from me, but who knows? anyhow, she had a test done. Two, actually. Both negative. My cough started to come back at the start of this week, the cough this time was definitely more of a coughing fit, and unpleasant as ****. So I hied me to a test centre yesterday and had my positive result this morning.

Symptoms are only the cough. No fever, no lack of smell, but that's bad enough.

Cudzoziemiec:
The first thing is that there's a huge variety of symptoms.

For me, it was a week or so of really low level cough. Literally just one cough a day.* Then this became a worse cough and I felt weak, especially in my legs. A bit like flu but without the ache. A day or two of that, then really bad cough and 12 hours of the highest temperature I've ever had. After that it was just a gradually clearing up cough, and then I lost my sense of taste and smell. Luckily that came back gradually after a week or so.

But Mrs Cudzo had completely different symptoms, not such a high temperature and not so much coughing but pain in the kidneys (her description). And the boy had a positive test but no symptoms whatsoever.

Losing my sense of taste made eating a chore and having no sense of smell was just weird. You don't realize till you lose it that even when you're not aware of any particular smell, there is always some smell at work. It's as if absence of smell is almost a smell in its own right.

*Ed: I don't know if this was actually an early symptom, it might have been a random cough by coincidence.

Asterix, the former Gaul.:
Interesting story here:

ED LAVERACK’S “COMEBACK FROM THE VIRUS” DIARIES: #1 – FITNESS DAMAGE

I know only one person who has definitely had it and they just thought they had a cold but went for the test just in case and it was a positive.  It sounded very unpleasant while it lasted mainly due to major breathing discomfort and then joint aches.  No loss of smell/taste apparently or coughing fits.

Took about a month to get back to full fitness.

A neighbour was taken to hospital mid-November, a 40 year old engineer who was going to work.  He's hardly left the house since coming back and I don't know if it was covid but he was fit and active before, running, cycling. 

Greenbank:

--- Quote from: Ham on 15 January, 2021, 01:54:19 pm ---Before Christmas, I had cold, with a bad night time cough. No fever or other symptoms. Night time cough is  a standard for me and colds, ever since years ago when I tried ignoring a chest infection and pneumonia, so I didn't go for a test. It cleared up. over two weeks later, Mrs Ham started exhibiting similar symptoms, it appeared too long a gap to have been infected from me, but who knows? anyhow, she had a test done. Two, actually. Both negative. My cough started to come back at the start of this week, the cough this time was definitely more of a coughing fit, and unpleasant as ****. So I hied me to a test centre yesterday and had my positive result this morning.

Symptoms are only the cough. No fever, no lack of smell, but that's bad enough.

--- End quote ---

Isn't the most likely explanation that the two bouts of illness were/are different things?

Ham:
That's what is indicated by the tests, but it doesn't seem all that likely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version