General Category > MTB

Mountain biking: a good walk spoiled; discuss.

(1/3) > >>

joy of essex:
I am on the Isle of Wight. I've just cycled up a hill and then down one.
It was not  unenjoyable. The bike was too heavy, front end lifted up, and, quite frankly, I'd have got more out of my afternoon by walking up and enjoying the view from the top.

So that's it. The bike is for sale. If I go off road in future then it will be for a bit of rough stuff or wearing boots or sandals. It used to be fun but now it's not.

DaveReading:

--- Quote from: joy of essex on 30 July, 2021, 08:36:26 pm ---It was not unenjoyable.
--- End quote ---

Glad you enjoyed it.

nuttycyclist:

--- Quote from: DaveReading on 30 July, 2021, 09:21:42 pm ---
--- Quote from: joy of essex on 30 July, 2021, 08:36:26 pm ---It was not unenjoyable.
--- End quote ---

Glad you enjoyed it.

--- End quote ---
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mrs Nutty is in a similar boat re hills.    She walks up them pushing the bike and moans about the weight and stupidity.  I change into a low (i.e. tiny) gear and relaxingly ride up alongside her and say how easy it is if you use the equipment properly.

Many years ago in Chamonix in France she got a cycling map.  I told her "NO" but she insisted she was a good enough cyclist to ride the hard route.   Half way round it finally twigged to her that the map was for off-road routes, and we were on Bromptons.    I'll give her her due, she didn't give in and we got to the end; although we got the public transport back instead of cycling it.

Kim:
As a chronic sufferer of Knees, my mountain bike allows me to climb hills I couldn't reliably walk back down.

lissotriton:
Depends on the route, and depends on the bike. Some routes may be more fun walking or running, some are more fun on a bike.

Nothing wrong with pushing the bike for some of the uphill bits (or some of the downhill bits). Still lets you cover more ground, and helps you get to places that would be a long boring walk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version