Author Topic: Daily Mail headline, why am I surprised?  (Read 2203 times)

Daily Mail headline, why am I surprised?
« on: 04 January, 2022, 11:02:30 pm »
Typical inflammatory and divisive headline from the Daily Mail. Pretty shocking journalism. As were the comments but what can you expect when you stoke the fire

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/cyclist-ignores-cycle-lane-and-causes-cars-to-veer-into-traffic/vi-AASqfZ4?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Daily Mail headline, why am I surprised?
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2022, 11:47:05 pm »
Does it really says* “causes cars to veer into traffic”?  I know our old pal Daily Mail Reporter is a bit slow on the uptake, but even so.

* The dokta has forbidden me to open Daily Heil links, y'see.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2022, 11:52:00 pm »
Is that "veer into traffic" in the "overtake" sense?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2022, 11:58:44 pm »
I'm wondering what the “traffic” consists of?  Lorries?  Airbuses?  Quinquiremes of Nineveh?  The latest offering from Space Karen and his cohorts?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2022, 11:59:32 pm »
Following on from my overtaking theme, I'm guessing "a gap between oncoming vehicles".

Anyway, perhaps the more interesting question is what was crap about the cycle lane this time?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2022, 12:04:22 am »
It looked like a pavement to me. Big kerb.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2022, 07:43:19 am »
Following on from my overtaking theme, I'm guessing "a gap between oncoming vehicles".

Anyway, perhaps the more interesting question is what was crap about the cycle lane this time?

A BIG gap in oncoming traffic, so big in fact that no relevant oncoming vehicles were visible in the video.  The veer was just your average poor driving, I must get in front just to immediately brake for a roundabout 2 cars length away.  As for the cycle lane, it looked ok from the 50m or so you got to see, although I am not 100% sure construction of it was actually  complete as even in the short clip there was evidence of ongoing work (construction fencing, signs fallen into cycle path etc) and it ended at the roundabout 10m later. I probably wouldn’t have used it if I were doing anything but turning left at that point as in my view it puts cyclists in a position that was very vulnerable to a left hook.  But I am sure the Mail wasn’t going to let any of that spoil their fury!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2022, 08:45:07 am »
Cyclist (a person) causes cars (are these animate?) to veer...

Say "anthropomorphism" and you think talking bunnies, but its most common form is on tarmac, not in paperback.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 05 January, 2022, 09:56:16 am »
Don't bother, all Hitler Digest readers are priapismically enraged about something. Anything really. Cyclists, young people, women, dogs, other old people, Europe, homosexuals, scooters, food that might cause cancer, the BBC, etc. etc. I think all this being angry about other stuff is help the readers deal with the fact that they're utter cunts that I'd cheerfully feed headfirst into an industrial meat processor.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2022, 01:12:12 pm »
If onlu Daily Mail Reporter has asked on here, we could have referred him to R. v Cadden 2007.

https://www.camcycle.org.uk/magazine/newsletter71/article14/
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2022, 11:50:34 am »
It looked like a pavement to me. Big kerb.
Indeed.  So unless you are a local and know to get on at the start* then even if you wanted to** you couldn't cycle off the carriageway onto the cycle only route.
* and with those roadworks was it even possible to stay on it?
** there is one in Woodbridge I need to remind myself about joining when joining it is an option, to avoid being decanted onto the A12, though tbh depending on how busy the A12 is preferable anyway.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2022, 07:48:06 pm »
Indeed.  So unless you are a local and know to get on at the start* then even if you wanted to** you couldn't cycle off the carriageway onto the cycle only route.
And the traffic on those sorts of roads generally consists of drivers who may honk, shout abuse, or punishment pass, while failing to consider how dangerous it would be to stop, dismount and lift your bike up the kerb, to "get on the cycle path"  :facepalm:

I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2022, 08:24:48 pm »
...And know that a mile is a very long way, and about the most that anyone would want to ride on a bike, so therefore all cyclists are  a) local, with intimate knowledge[1] of the area and its farcilities   and   b) not trying to get anywhere in a timely manner.

[1] They're the ones who sometimes ask for directions and don't believe you when you don't know the answer.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #13 on: 07 January, 2022, 03:07:04 pm »
cyclist-ignores-cycle-lane-and-causes-cars-to-veer-into-traffic

Jedi cyclist mind tricks only works on the feeble minded
"this isn't the lane you are looking for"

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #14 on: 07 January, 2022, 03:45:44 pm »
I thought the title of this thread should have been: "Daily Mail headline, why am I not surprised?"
Meaning that they always come out with the same anti-cycling drivel. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 07 January, 2022, 05:25:31 pm »
...And know that a mile is a very long way, and about the most that anyone would want to ride on a bike, so therefore all cyclists are  a) local, with intimate knowledge[1] of the area and its farcilities   and   b) not trying to get anywhere in a timely manner.
[1] They're the ones who sometimes ask for directions and don't believe you when you don't know the answer.

I have not always been helpful if flagged down on an Audax...