Author Topic: Potentially looking at stealing my bike?  (Read 4939 times)

Potentially looking at stealing my bike?
« on: 10 January, 2022, 10:40:46 am »
A few days ago I did a relatively short bike ride out to one of my favourite cafes and back.  Whilst at the cafe, I was able to lean my bike against the wall/window and get myself a table just inside so that I could keep a close eye on my bike.  It was just inches away from where I sat but was unlocked.  After a few minutes, a white van turned up and parked quite close to my bike.  Two men got out and began to look at my bike.  Suddenly one guy opened the side door of his van and then continued to look at my bike for a couple of minutes or so before the two of them got back inside the van and started the engine again.

I couldnt believe that they couldnt see me the other side of the window and really thought that my bike was about to be put into the back of the van.  By this time I had taken a couple of photos of the van and the occupants of it just in case but decided to see what they would do next and so didnt go outside to confront them.  After several minutes one guy got back out, closed the side door of the van and then drove away.

The van was a white company vehicle with the name of the company on the side of it and also with phone numbers.  I dont know what they were thinking about or talking about but I really did think that they were up to no good.

Re: Potentially looking at stealing my bike?
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2022, 11:19:54 am »
I think it's likely they were deciding whether or not the owner would appear and challenge them if they took the bike. It would only take a few seconds to put the bike in the van and drive off.

Example of two people in a car stealing stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FiXVFszHU

« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2022, 11:22:54 am »
Whilst at the cafe, I was able to lean my bike against the wall/window and get myself a table just inside so that I could keep a close eye on my bike.  It was just inches away from where I sat but was unlocked.  After a few minutes, a white van turned up and parked quite close to my bike.  Two men got out and began to look at my bike.  Suddenly one guy opened the side door of his van and then continued to look at my bike for a couple of minutes or so before the two of them got back inside the van and started the engine again.
So, they could have put your bike into their van and driven off, leaving you with a phone number
of a company you could have called. You call the company and the two guys deny everything.
That is how things could have played out.

[Edit: Were you going to challenge them if they attempted to take your bike?]

« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2022, 11:29:34 am »
It's possible the "company" is just one of the men's trading name.

« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2022, 12:04:32 pm »
Either way report it as its unlikely your bike would have been the first if they are really leaves,

« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2022, 12:08:45 pm »
Sounds dodgy.  Even if locked with lightweight cafe lock, they may have just yanked hard to try & break it.  FWIW I bought a couple of "TILE" trackers in sale last year, one of which is now cable tied to bike in case it 'disappears', or mrsao (shared access) wants to see 'last location' of me/bike when I'm onna ride.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2022, 12:31:21 pm »
FWIW I bought a couple of "TILE" trackers in sale last year, one of which is now cable tied to bike in case it 'disappears'

Aren't they a Bluetooth thing?

« Reply #7 on: 10 January, 2022, 12:41:52 pm »
Apparently not GPS, but a 'bluetooth detection network' like the Apple version - thought it was worth a shot for £12.  Possibly better in city / town. 

mrsao apparently located me (fixing a p*ncture) in Little Wittenham nr the Clumps, in a test.   :)

« Reply #8 on: 10 January, 2022, 12:43:56 pm »
Either way report it as its unlikely your bike would have been the first if they are really leaves,

Report what exactly? Sorry, but that'll go nowhere. No crime has been committed. And it's possible the actions of the individuals had a perfactly innocent explanation.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2022, 12:51:47 pm »
Yes, thats what I thought, that perhaps they had an interest in cycling too.

Would I have challenged them if they tried to take the bike?  Probably not.  But I do have a good friend who has access to the DVLA database so could have easily have got the name and address of the vehicle owner and he knows someone with a tow-truck!!!

« Reply #10 on: 10 January, 2022, 12:53:36 pm »
I'd still ring 101 or go on the live chat and say this vehicle detail and what happened, it could be nothing. It could be the details they need for a bike theft last week.

I used to get agricultural crime watch emails due to my line of work. They always said to report it as then an incident is recorded which can help build the bigger picture.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:01:30 pm »
Apparently not GPS, but a 'bluetooth detection network' like the Apple version - thought it was worth a shot for £12.  Possibly better in city / town. 

mrsao apparently located me (fixing a p*ncture) in Little Wittenham nr the Clumps, in a test.   :)

...but presumably only because the tag was in Bluetooth range of your phone.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:05:13 pm »
For the Apple one, it is within range of any Apple phone.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #13 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:08:12 pm »
But I do have a good friend who has access to the DVLA database so could have easily have got the name and address of the vehicle owner...
As in, "a good friend who works for a government agency with access to sensitive information
who would let you avail yourself of it"?
Would this be legal? If those two questions are answered
in the affirmative, then couldn't your friend be possibly charged with the offence of...
"(Gross) misconduct in a public office"?
↑↑↑Just harmless speculation.↑↑↑

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:13:04 pm »

Ah, I see.  Slightly less useless then.

« Reply #15 on: 10 January, 2022, 01:36:40 pm »
Its not very difficult to get that sort of information if you know where to go.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #16 on: 10 January, 2022, 03:26:15 pm »
Without being a mind reader you'll never know for sure. I think in that sort of situation when the bike is outside, you'll be naturally more suspicious than if you were a customer sans bike.

Could they have seen the bike from the main road?

I usually leave mine unlocked at cafes / outside shops because I think the chance of an opportunistic theft is fairly low, but a capacious van would make for a quick getaway  :demon:
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #17 on: 10 January, 2022, 03:40:50 pm »
The other day I was out working with my mate Dave when I thought I saw his bike (it had been nicked the week previous). We stopped and looked at it but Dave said it wasn't his bike.

Was out on a job, stopped to check location for next callout. Saw bike like Dave's, but different gear setup. He had a look and reckoned that it he preferred his own setup.

You really can't tell what people are thinking. Only observe them doing something.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #18 on: 10 January, 2022, 03:48:06 pm »
But they opened the side door of the van and had the engine running.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #19 on: 10 January, 2022, 03:52:20 pm »

Exceptionally useful if the thieves have an iPhone.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #20 on: 10 January, 2022, 04:05:42 pm »

Exceptionally useful if the thieves have an iPhone.
Unless they turn off Bluetooth/location/data.
And they should get a notification on the phone, if a tag is following them, as part of the anti-stalking features.

« Reply #21 on: 10 January, 2022, 04:26:48 pm »
Can cut out again so we had to pull in front of a cafe. Went in the back to get the jump-start kit but Dave started it without. Ran the engine a little bit to see if it cut or
Out again,  it didn't so we shut the side door and left.

BTW that bike in front of the cafe is just the type my lad would like Dave. Did you see what make and model it was?

« Reply #22 on: 10 January, 2022, 04:32:11 pm »
Can I just point out that if I see an interesting bike I will look at it and check out the spec. I own a van and I do feel a bit self conscious when doing so on case the owner thinks I'm casing it out. I'm not but that feeling of self consciousness probably looks a bit shifty.

If you don't want your bike nicked or to worry about it do not leave it alone/unlocked. Simple risk reduction. Better than watching someone who you think is about to nick it. If I saw that,  apart from having confidence in a gold rated lock, I'd go up and talk to them in a purely friendly way. So far I've only met cyclists looking at my bike.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23 on: 10 January, 2022, 05:38:17 pm »
Why are all these thieves bike enthusiasts named Dave, i prefer Rodney myself
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #24 on: 10 January, 2022, 06:00:10 pm »

Supposedly, the TILE location network currently in ~7.5km radius of me = "754 members". BMC that's 4.3 users/km2; so definitely 'an element of chance' involved atm.  'parently my TILE device BT range now "60 metres".  I nearly always have my phone on when with the bike for any tracking of me req'd; device is super light, & easily cable tie attached.

Update:  Tile Mate non replaceable battery.  Details had fully vanished from app, when I checked.  Can't re link device as says already associated with an account (mine).   ::-)