Author Topic: Traffic Controls...? Good or bad?  (Read 1824 times)

Traffic Controls...? Good or bad?
« on: 10 March, 2022, 06:21:43 pm »
Horribly, cycling at the Plain roundabout in Oxford kills people.

So I'm supporting this petition...(and hope y'all might sign up too*)

*if only to make the City Council think ...I'm not sure that lights, etc will solve the issues. Though a complete ban motor vehicles might help...

Re: Traffic Controls...? Good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2022, 11:54:06 pm »
Does cycling kill people at that roundabout, or do the drivers of motor vehicles kill people?

« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2022, 12:48:12 am »
Does cycling kill people at that roundabout, or do the drivers of motor vehicles kill people?
Not sure anyone intended to kill another person. It's a system in need of change

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2022, 02:42:54 pm »
That petition is worded terribly. There is a cycle lane, and the way that it splits in 2 is part of the problem. Instead of random petitions, we should be supporting Cyclox in their bid to change the way that cycling infrastructure is delivered within Oxford. That The Plain is so dangerous, despite over a million pounds being spent on redesigning it only a few years ago shows how little care is given to making infrastructure that protects cyclists, instead of putting them in harms way.
As with many such incidents, there are a multitude of factors behind the latest death at The Plain, but in this case the key one has to be that someone was driving a tipper truck under the influence, with no licence or insurance!!!

For those unfamiliar with it, here's the roundabout in question: https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Plain,+Oxford/@51.7502634,-1.2441187,112m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4876c14d669544e5:0x585bfcc8bda70f39!8m2!3d51.7502244!4d-1.2439283
In my view, the way that the cycle lane splits in 2, meaning that motor traffic has to cross over the cycle lane to turn left, while also looking forwards and right at the roundabout is utterly idiotic. I don't see how lights would improve things here, and banning to all traffic is unlikely, because it's the crucial way for busses to get into/out of the City from anywhere in East Oxford. There is already a proposal to put a bus gate on Longwall street, meaning that it would be almost entirely busses and taxis going over Magdalen bridge, but this roundabout would still need looking at. To me, the simplest solution to the problem of asking motorists to look behind and left and forward and right at the same time, is to remove the left turn down St Clements, and force them to go all the way around the roundabout, with a kerb separated cycle lane to protect cyclists until they get to the roundabout. However I can't see the bus companies liking that very much!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2022, 03:45:36 pm »
 The junction is a failure whether you're a cyclist, pedestrian or driver; too much traffic on too many roads coming into the roundabout is a recipe for disaster. But closing High to cars and lorries would help as it would force at least some traffic onto the ring road, which has its own problems.