Author Topic: Peewhits and Curlews 600 - Saturday 4th June 2022 from Darlington  (Read 4258 times)

Re: Peewhits and Curlews 600 - Saturday 4th June 2022 from Darlington
« Reply #25 on: 06 June, 2022, 12:01:42 pm »
Looks epic! Pics like this make me want to be an audaxer again.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #26 on: 06 June, 2022, 12:14:03 pm »
I've thrown some of the less blurry, less embarrassing weekend's photos up in a Google Album.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WznDBnPR7Wr8oEK28

felstedrider

« Reply #27 on: 06 June, 2022, 04:57:58 pm »
I decided to travel a bit more this year having been stuck on the same roads for a couple of years.   I had done a lumpy 600 in Wales 2 weeks ago which gave me a decent amount of confidence but I knew this was a different animal.

I ended up with a fairly ropey nights sleep in a Premier Inn on the edge of Darlo so woke feeling a little jaded.   This is a fairly common occurrence for me.   It was a gentle ride to HQ and we were away pretty quickly with a few groups forming.   I chatted to Hippy for a while as we settled in.   Just before Middleton my Garmin bleeped to warn of climb 1 of 43 (!).   We turned towards Lanchester and I was on my own admiring the scenery and picking up a troubling headwind.   We had a pavement picnic outside the bakery in Lanchester before the leg to Alston which I misremembered as being less hilly.   As mentioned upthread I had scheduled to average 20kph to get me to my overnight digs by midnight.   I started to feel that this might have been a little ambitious.   Dropping into Alston I noticed the return route on my screen and, whilst eating a sandwich outside the co-op, I seriously considered turning for home.   

The sun was out and I removed some layers and decided to continue on what turned into a faster stretch with the wind behind us.   I was mostly on my own again but chatted to a couple of Scottish riders on and off, but they were dropping me on the steeper bits.   By Newcastleton it was quite warm but I was still on schedule provided I kept my stops brief.   We had been warned about the drag out of the village which was steep at first but then long and steady.   The tailwind made it not so bad but I can imaging it would be much harder the other way round.   I hadn't been to Moffat since LEL 2013 and I was quite please when the Garmin told me the next climb was in 75 miles which made it after my night stop.   Another sandwich based refuel in the square and away with a tailwind.   This is where my spirits lifted and the riding was fast, the sun was out and the views splendid.   Just after the info we turned East towards Carlisle into a bit of a headwind.   Being so far North it stayed light until 10 and I only put my lights on for the last hour into Southwaite services, checking in at 23:00.   Having researched ahead I had worked out what to buy in Costa and how to get into the Travelodge.   I was asleep by 23:30.

Alarm set for 4:30 I was on the road at 5 heading through the Lake district on a lot of roads I hadn't done before.   There were quite a few lumps but they were short and sharp (Red Bank I'm looking at you).   At Newby Bridge it was sunny and started to feel warm and I briefly considered dressing down.   Hippy arrive not long after having stayed in the same hotel.   I chatted to davocon here as well.   We had been warned about the next stretch but it was brutal.   I had thoughts of getting home for 6pm but this looked like it was going out the window.   The cold wind kept me slow all the way to Tebay where I decided to take a longer stop in the cafe rather than sitting outside the garage.    I was a little worried as there were no other riders there at the time but I was eventually joined by another rider and davocon was tucking into lunch as I left.

After leaving Tebay the going seemed to get easier and I was making much better progress as we seemed to be in a valley sheltered from the wind.   All went well until Hartside which I hadn't researched.   The signs informed me it was a 1,900ft climb.   I had been warned of bikers but there weren't many but a few petrolheads were testing their cars out.   Whilst it was long it wasn't that steep and there was some shelter from the wind until the very top which was a little exposed.   I had to pedal downhill for the first couple of miles from the top but it got quicker towards the bottom and I ended up on the same bench in Alston where I had been the previous day.   I downed a milkshake and filled my food pod with jelly babies - it was close enough to the finish to be sugar fuelled.   I hadn't climbed Yad Moss since the 2014 National 400 when we had been filmed by Damon from the back of his car.   The memory of this brought on a few emotions.

What I had also forgotten was how long you are up top before the descent starts.   There seemed to have been a recent accident which can't have been cleared up more than an hour earlier.   Eventually the descent started and I started to pick some time up.   A couple of little lumps after Middleton and the Garmin confirmed I had completed all 43 climbs (without walking) and then the legs seemed to really start to roll.   The wind seemed to be slightly behind and the road slightly downhill so I was pushing a decent gear.   I rolled in on target a few minutes before 6pm.   I ended up having an excellent 3 course dinner and chatting for well over an hour.   I have really missed a great finish control - let's hope we get to keep doing this for as long as possible.

This is an incredible ride and well worth the 500 mile round trip.   I was home in time today to log on and do my planned half day WFH.   Thanks to Deano for organising and the other finish helpers (sorry I didn't ask anyone's name).

Rob

« Reply #28 on: 06 June, 2022, 06:58:44 pm »
Also, probably a bit late, but I have just googled Peewhit and Curlew, assuming they were some kind of local bird and yes, they were. I don't know if we saw the former but the long-beaked Curlews definitely made an appearance for us at some point.

Also, I think this ride was the first time I've seen Hadrian's Wall. "Is that Hadrian's Wall?" repeated at least 100 times while pointing at every little piece of farm fencing kept us entertained for an hour or so. :)

I guessed the mine was tin, but it was lead. I will not be winning University Challenge any time soon, but at least I could tell it was a mine before getting to the info board.

« Reply #29 on: 06 June, 2022, 07:12:31 pm »
Nice write up, and nice to meet you and hear of your experiences on National 400s etc. Glad you finished on your target. I knew I wouldn't meet mine as soon as I hit that Gummers How climb out of Newby Bridge (hadn't heard of it before, I have now!) Hartside was brutal with the crosswind and the descent wasn't as fun as it usually is having to initially pedal hard to maintain 18kph down a 5% gradient!

Caught a bit of rain at the end and rolled in about 7:25 for some excellent vegan chilli and the best cuppa I'd managed all weekend (which is supposed to be a compliment, but it was a fairly low bar to jump over).

Thanks to Deano and Debs and anyone else who helped out and for the people I met out on the road who helped at various points, hippy, Malwinki etc.
And well done to anyone who did it!

I decided to travel a bit more this year having been stuck on the same roads for a couple of years.   I had done a lumpy 600 in Wales 2 weeks ago which gave me a decent amount of confidence but I knew this was a different animal.

I ended up with a fairly ropey nights sleep in a Premier Inn on the edge of Darlo so woke feeling a little jaded.   This is a fairly common occurrence for me.   It was a gentle ride to HQ and we were away pretty quickly with a few groups forming.   I chatted to Hippy for a while as we settled in.   Just before Middleton my Garmin bleeped to warn of climb 1 of 43 (!).   We turned towards Lanchester and I was on my own admiring the scenery and picking up a troubling headwind.   We had a pavement picnic outside the bakery in Lanchester before the leg to Alston which I misremembered as being less hilly.   As mentioned upthread I had scheduled to average 20kph to get me to my overnight digs by midnight.   I started to feel that this might have been a little ambitious.   Dropping into Alston I noticed the return route on my screen and, whilst eating a sandwich outside the co-op, I seriously considered turning for home.   

The sun was out and I removed some layers and decided to continue on what turned into a faster stretch with the wind behind us.   I was mostly on my own again but chatted to a couple of Scottish riders on and off, but they were dropping me on the steeper bits.   By Newcastleton it was quite warm but I was still on schedule provided I kept my stops brief.   We had been warned about the drag out of the village which was steep at first but then long and steady.   The tailwind made it not so bad but I can imaging it would be much harder the other way round.   I hadn't been to Moffat since LEL 2013 and I was quite please when the Garmin told me the next climb was in 75 miles which made it after my night stop.   Another sandwich based refuel in the square and away with a tailwind.   This is where my spirits lifted and the riding was fast, the sun was out and the views splendid.   Just after the info we turned East towards Carlisle into a bit of a headwind.   Being so far North it stayed light until 10 and I only put my lights on for the last hour into Southwaite services, checking in at 23:00.   Having researched ahead I had worked out what to buy in Costa and how to get into the Travelodge.   I was asleep by 23:30.

Alarm set for 4:30 I was on the road at 5 heading through the Lake district on a lot of roads I hadn't done before.   There were quite a few lumps but they were short and sharp (Red Bank I'm looking at you).   At Newby Bridge it was sunny and started to feel warm and I briefly considered dressing down.   Hippy arrive not long after having stayed in the same hotel.   I chatted to davocon here as well.   We had been warned about the next stretch but it was brutal.   I had thoughts of getting home for 6pm but this looked like it was going out the window.   The cold wind kept me slow all the way to Tebay where I decided to take a longer stop in the cafe rather than sitting outside the garage.    I was a little worried as there were no other riders there at the time but I was eventually joined by another rider and davocon was tucking into lunch as I left.

After leaving Tebay the going seemed to get easier and I was making much better progress as we seemed to be in a valley sheltered from the wind.   All went well until Hartside which I hadn't researched.   The signs informed me it was a 1,900ft climb.   I had been warned of bikers but there weren't many but a few petrolheads were testing their cars out.   Whilst it was long it wasn't that steep and there was some shelter from the wind until the very top which was a little exposed.   I had to pedal downhill for the first couple of miles from the top but it got quicker towards the bottom and I ended up on the same bench in Alston where I had been the previous day.   I downed a milkshake and filled my food pod with jelly babies - it was close enough to the finish to be sugar fuelled.   I hadn't climbed Yad Moss since the 2014 National 400 when we had been filmed by Damon from the back of his car.   The memory of this brought on a few emotions.

What I had also forgotten was how long you are up top before the descent starts.   There seemed to have been a recent accident which can't have been cleared up more than an hour earlier.   Eventually the descent started and I started to pick some time up.   A couple of little lumps after Middleton and the Garmin confirmed I had completed all 43 climbs (without walking) and then the legs seemed to really start to roll.   The wind seemed to be slightly behind and the road slightly downhill so I was pushing a decent gear.   I rolled in on target a few minutes before 6pm.   I ended up having an excellent 3 course dinner and chatting for well over an hour.   I have really missed a great finish control - let's hope we get to keep doing this for as long as possible.

This is an incredible ride and well worth the 500 mile round trip.   I was home in time today to log on and do my planned half day WFH.   Thanks to Deano for organising and the other finish helpers (sorry I didn't ask anyone's name).

Rob

« Reply #30 on: 06 June, 2022, 09:05:49 pm »
Saw a few riders at Southwaite Services and Newby Bridge whilst out riding APN, was lovely to see some familiar faces suffering as much as I was. Chapeau to all who got round!

« Reply #31 on: 07 June, 2022, 10:27:39 am »
I guessed the mine was tin, but it was lead.

I'm on a mailing list from Atlas Obscura, and by coincidence the following link popped into my inbox yesterday:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/rookhope-arch

felstedrider

« Reply #32 on: 07 June, 2022, 10:37:28 am »

I'm on a mailing list from Atlas Obscura, and by coincidence the following link popped into my inbox yesterday:

These things are brilliant.   We had a cottage in Rosedale Abbey last Summer and walked around the old railway and works up on the hill top.   Fascinating.

« Reply #33 on: 07 June, 2022, 11:01:48 am »

That's pretty neat. Also features the mine: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/groverake-mine

« Reply #34 on: 08 June, 2022, 10:05:07 pm »
I love that area, and you can still ride along the old railway along the Waskerley Way pretty much all the way to Durham. I keep meaning to run a ride that way.

« Reply #35 on: 08 June, 2022, 10:06:59 pm »
I've thrown some of the less blurry, less embarrassing weekend's photos up in a Google Album.

Orb's a canny pub, try the Quakerhouse next time. Real ale and real rock.

« Reply #36 on: 08 June, 2022, 10:11:46 pm »
Out of the 31 starters, 24 finished. The GBFO hill out of Newcastleton seems to have done for most, and a couple finished out of time. It's a tough ride, but I always like to remind people that I could include more hills (Joe certainly did on his Lanchester 400 that inspired most of it).

« Reply #37 on: 08 June, 2022, 10:31:30 pm »
Orb's a canny pub, try the Quakerhouse next time. Real ale and real rock.

Noted. There's so many pubs! and so many little alleys in town (I bet we walked past Mechanics Yard 20 times without noticing it).

If you like Star Wars - Echo 3 coffee shop in another little alley - total geekfest.

« Reply #38 on: 08 June, 2022, 10:48:23 pm »
Half Moon for the old school vibe, I'm sure they still have the original blackout curtains on the windows.

« Reply #39 on: 09 June, 2022, 09:41:04 am »
Half Moon for the old school vibe, I'm sure they still have the original blackout curtains on the windows.

Added to my list.

Also want to check out Saints Row Brewery and House of Hop.