Author Topic: Garmin 830/1030: uploading activities to Strava via Wi-Fi or Smartphone.  (Read 1963 times)

My venerable Garmin 800 is coming to the end so I'm looking at replacing it.
Since I've been fairly happy with the 800, it seems reasonable to replace it with another Garmin hence this question.

I'm planning to go on a 7 night, hotel based tour (different hotel each night) later in the year so I'll have WiFi every night and it will be good to be able to upload to Strava at the end of the days.
I'm not planning to take either a tablet or a laptop to I was wondering if either the 830 or 1030 can upload either direct through WiFi or via a Smartphone. The phone will invariably be connected to the hotel WiFi but it would, perhaps, be useful to be able to do it via the mobile network as well.
Reading online it seems that it's possible but has anyone got any experience of doing it ?
If so, how easy and how successful was it ?

A supplementary question if I may: which unit should I go for ?
The 830 is cheaper and takes up less room on the bars but the larger screen of the 1030 has appeal.
From what I've read, they do practically the same things.

I suppose that I should add that I'll want them for recording when I'm following and routing when I'm leading.

I have a 530 which I don't think I've ever connected to a PC, I do route downloads and activity uploads through either home wifi or my phone.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Whatever you buy, you'd be able to upload via smartphone with a USB OTG cable. Done it many times with my Edge 705 and now eTrex 30x. Transfer files to phone. Manual file upload to Garmin Connect (or direct to Strava, though Strava syncs with my GC data). Done.

rr

My edge 530 links to my phone via Bluetooth and my home WiFi, stava uploads are done before I get my shoes off.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

I think any current Garmin will Bluetooth to phone via Garmin connect and upload. If you turn the phone off and then on again you have to restart Connect before syncing occurs.

1030 is very nice. Look at dcrainmaker and the hammerhead reviews it has certainly come on and dcrainmaker now seems to rank the hammerhead as equal to the Garmin.

Thanks for the input folks. I held off buying anything because a friend had just taken delivery of a new Karoo 2 so I waited for his input plus another friend has a Garmin 830 (didn't realise but then why would I, we've only been riding together for 5+ years  :facepalm:).
Based on reviews, their thoughts and my familiarity with Garmins, I've ordered a 1030 Plus bundle.
Expect more questions :hand:.