Author Topic: Hailsham Venta 300 BRM and Hailsham Liss 200 on Saturday June 11th, 2022  (Read 1992 times)

Hailsham Venta 300 BRM with Departure time of 06:00

100th anniversary of the first ACP 300km BRM event. This edition includes a special brevet and there will be a commemorative medal.

308km cycling event starting from Hailsham, Freedom Leisure Centre. Controls at Buckbarn Services, Chichester Sainsbury, Sutton Scotney, Rogate (Village Hall), Pyecombe and Hellingly Services Near Hailsham., plus 2 information controls.

Field limited to just 25 riders and well over half full.

Entry Page and additional information: https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9076

Hailsham Liss 200 with Departure time of 08:00

212km cycling event starting from Hailsham, Freedom Leisure Centre. Controls at Buckbarn, Rogate (Village Hall), Steyning and Hailsham., plus 1 information control.

Entry Page and additional information: https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9077

Entries for both events will be closing on Wednesday June 1st, 2022 or sooner if full, and any postal entries received after this date will be returned!

The closest mainline railway station is at Polegate and there is a Travelodge near the Start / Finish Control that maybe of interest to some. https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/32/Hellingly-Eastbourne-hotel

Anton

Hailsham Venta 300 BRM

This event is starting to fill up quickly and I expect to close entries after this weekend, if not before.

Still plenty of spaces on the Hailsham Liss 200.

Anton

A quick reminder that these two rides still have spaces available for any additional entries.

Anton

The closing date for these two rides as been extended from June 1st to June 8th.

There are just a handful of places for the Hailsham Venta 300 BRM, but plenty for the Hailsham Liss 200.

Once I reach my maximum (based on ordered Brevet cards) entry will be closed.

Anton

felstedrider

Just to double check.   The route has us finishing at the services on the Boship roundabout (Hellingly) ?

I've booked a room at the Travelodge on Friday night so will leave the car there for a quick getaway.

Ta

Rob

Just to double check.   The route has us finishing at the services on the Boship roundabout (Hellingly) ?

I've booked a room at the Travelodge on Friday night so will leave the car there for a quick getaway.

Ta

Rob

Correct the finish is at the 24hr service at Hellingly and  in the past other riders have stay at the travel lodge

ANTON

All,

Final versions of Welcomes Letter, Route Sheet and GPX Tracks emailed to entrants, together with details of possible detours.

Still some unused Hailsham Venta 300 Brevet cards, but plenty for the Hailsham Liss 200.

Anton

So that I can finalise the purchase of food for the Rogate control, I will NOT be taking any further entries once these rides have been closed on June 8th (or sooner if they fill).

Hailsham Venta 300 BRM

I'm now down to my last couple of Brevetcard so close to closing it for entries. If you intend entering this event do not leave it too late.

Hailsham Liss 200

Plenty of spaces still available.

Anton

Hailsham Venta 300 BRM

Had cancellations, so a couple of places have opened up on the above if anyone interested.

Entries must be in before the end of tomorrow

Entry Page and additional information: https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9076

Anton

A cracking ride yesterday on the 200. Thanks to everyone involved. And thanks to Felix (I think I've rememberd that right) for giving me a bit of a tow when I was flagging. As it was I fell off the back pretty quickly so didn't get much aero benefit but the mental aspect of someone to try and keep up with pulled me through a bit faster than I'd have been on my own.

Lovely weather for it but it took me four stops before I remembered to actually take my legwarmers off, no wonder I was melting. Everytime I came to a stop I thought "oooh take those off" and then by the time I'd eaten and updated my other half as to my progress I'd hop back on the bike and a mile down the road realise I was still wearing the blasted things  :facepalm:

Had a bit of a lull between 90 & 130 ish km - started with the mental "why am I doing this" nonsense that I seem to get in the middle of any ride no matter the distance and then as we got to Rogate I started feeling like I'd left it a bit too long between snacks. Luckily there was the village hall in which I inhaled beans on toast and caek  :thumbsup:

Inhaled a bit too quickly as my tummy was not happy for the next several miles but it soon settled down again.

Ballsed up a bit in Stenying at the Co-op, I didn't fancy any of the food so just got an atm receipt. Once I got outside I remembered I should have got water but didn't want to go in again so I figured my one water bottle would last me. Well it got me as far as Pyecombe. I did try to top up in Lewes but all the pubs were far too heaving so I just pressed on and downed a couple pints of water when I eventually got home.

I've been intending to take more photos on my rides lately. Well I managed precisely zero yesterday so that worked well  :facepalm: But rest assured it was stunningly pretty through the downs in the sunshine.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Someone suggested to me if you are running out of water look for a church and cemetery as they usually have a water tap outside.

Funnily enough I spotted a tap symbol on a fence post at Pyecombe church, part of the South Downs Way drinking water point scheme. With details as to the closest taps both eastward and westward.

But two laps of the church and I couldn't find the one there.

Looking at the website today there isn't one there.

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
As my flight was cancelled I found myself free so did the route of Anton's Buckbarn - Sutton Scotney 200 perm which is the same as the 300 as far as Liss, riding with a local rider I've done the 300 twice with (who did the 300). Usual wall to wall sunshine meant hot foot for both of us at Sutton Scotney but it cooled down a bit after that. I'd forgotten last year's new section avoiding Alresford, I think I may have done some of it on my first 400 (but it was dark then!)

excellent route as always the Hailsham - Liss 200 perm is well worth doing in November when the autumn leaves are at their best and the lanes not too skoggy.

felstedrider

Excellent day out.  Quickly found myself with Steve from Eastbourne and we ended up riding the whole thing together.  Largely fast to Chichester and then lumpy from there to Sutton Scotney and back to Rogate.  A proper village hall control with beans on toast, rice pudding and peaches and cake.  It was bliss after the last few years.

Back along some of my favourite lanes from my early Audaxing in the late 90s and back to Hellingly for 8pm.   All splendid.

Thanks to Anton and Mrs Anton.

Rob

Outward was a bit of a slog, but I was sustained by the memory of last year's lunch stop. This year was even better. Tailwind all the way home gave me a chance to admire the views. Another classily organised classic ride. Thanks Anton and Mrs Anton.

I did the 200, my second audax this year after a five year hiatus. I am no fan of busy A and B roads and wasn't very keen on the first few miles but I hadn't really prepared very well as I would have back when I last did these audaxes. I had no route knowledge having never done this ride before.

After arriving at Hailsham late and missing Anton I had no idea where any of the controls were so was pleasantly surprised when I had a notification on my phone telling me I was approaching one. That was good to know. Never in the past had I downloaded a gpx from an organiser with the controls on it too, so thanks Anton. Other organisers take heed!

Anyway I was f'ing and blinding a little bit along the main roads on the outbound leg and relieved to finally reach some lanes at last. I didn't even take note of the wind direction for the day but this would have attributed to the slugglish outbound leg. I thought my lack of audaxing was the cause.

Reached the Rogate control and the spread was perfect....the obligatory rice pudding (always a firm favourite), coffee, baked beans on toast and cakes galore (which I didn't take advantage of). Thanks to both of you for the work you put in for this. The ride back was great and those bloody main roads..well, they were just what I needed with a strong tailwind helping me to zip along back to Hailsham.

A really good experience. I'm getting that audaxing bug again : )

All

Thanks for the above comments

The village hall is already booked for the 2023 edition of these rides

Anton

Brevetcards have been validated. 200s returned to riders who supplied all PoP validated and returned in supplied SAE

The validated 300 will be posted to the validation secrets tomorrow

Anton