General Category > GPS

Garmin Edge 530/830 vs Etrex 32X?

(1/14) > >>

andyoxon:
Any thoughts on suitability for either of these (or other*) for rides <200km, and what mapping is best/do people use?

Kim:
Coming from an eTrex 30, the 32x has a disappointingly murky screen (it's higher resolution but basically unreadable without the backlight unless the sun's at the right angle).  But I expect the Edge has one of those too.  Other than that, it's just a storage upgrade to a proven model: Runs forever on AA batteries, you'll never forget to 'start' the ride and it doesn't understand what a cadence sensor is.

Mapping wise, https://www.openfietsmap.nl/ seems quite good.  Though I miss the simplicity of City Navigator maps for road use.

ElyDave:
I've had no issues with the 530, battery life is very impressive, from a 100% charge I don't think I've seen it <70% at the end of a 100km. Screen is pretty readable in all conditions I've encountered.  I looked long and hard and decided I didn't need the touch screen and the ability to rank my performances by what I had for breakfast that morning. 

It's a perfectly good GPS that has a decent battery life.

Lightning Phil:
I use open street map source data for my mapping on my eTrex. 

ETrex is for pre planned rides really , following a fixed line on the mapping.  The edge does turn by turn I think.

andyoxon:
Thanks all.

--- Quote from: ElyDave on 04 April, 2022, 01:03:19 pm ---I've had no issues with the 530, battery life is very impressive, from a 100% charge I don't think I've seen it <70% at the end of a 100km. Screen is pretty readable in all conditions I've encountered.  I looked long and hard and decided I didn't need the touch screen and the ability to rank my performances by what I had for breakfast that morning. 

It's a perfectly good GPS that has a decent battery life.

--- End quote ---

How do you find it on the go - for say zooming in & out of the map using the buttons?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version