General Category > On The Road

IPSOS Survey - Discouraging car use

<< < (2/8) > >>

mrcharly-YHT:

--- Quote from: ian on 21 April, 2022, 03:46:58 pm ---The only way to discourage car use is to make not having a car convenient; i.e. owning a car is an expensive inconvenience, not seen as a necessity car use less convenient and/or more expensive. The end.

--- End quote ---

FTFY

cygnet:

--- Quote from: Cudzoziemiec on 21 April, 2022, 05:04:20 pm ---Or even more so that we think it should be allowable if "paid for".

--- End quote ---

Wasn't there a primary school that started charging parents who were late picking up their kids from school, to counteract teachers being used as unpaid childcare? The wealthier families just paid up, and collected their kids as late as possible.
Problem not solved.

The only way it could work is to pass on the true costs.

"War on hard working families"
"War on motorists"
"Don't close the tax loopholes, the rich earners will leave"

The Family Cyclist:
I think we also need to make the alternative more affordable and reliable. My family went to Portsmouth recently and for us all to go on the train would be north of £200

While I realise there are already costs of owning a car to take the train which I'd have much preferred was simply unaffordable for us even with the price of fuel

It would also have involved rail replacement so probably couldn't have done the journey in time to get to the event

Jaded:
Actually, sadly, that won’t be the answer, the answer will end up with us travelling less, within our post-oil household budgets.

rogerzilla:

--- Quote from: cygnet on 21 April, 2022, 09:19:02 pm ---Wasn't there a primary school that started charging parents who were late picking up their kids from school, to counteract teachers being used as unpaid childcare? The wealthier families just paid up, and collected their kids as late as possible.
Problem not solved.

--- End quote ---
Many schools say they will call the police  :thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version