Random Musings > Phototalk

Measuring distance to subject: can mobile phone technology help?

(1/2) > >>

Polar Bear:
As many of you will know I am all but as blind as a bat.  The primary issue with my sight is no detail and that nothing is ever in focus.  I see is shape, colour, contrast and shadow. 

I have recently acquired a Bronica ETR Si 645 medium format camera and am currently experimenting.  The biggest issue that I am having is of course I cannot tell when something is in focus.  It's just how my sight is and it is a stark reminder of why I embraced autofocus so readily.  I am of course estimating distance at the moment and setting the lens up considering distance and depth of field to help a little.

However, technology might be able to assist me with this, I hope.  What I was wondering is, does anybody know of any apps (I am on Android) which will do a reasonable if not perfect job of measuring distance to subject please?  I have done some digging but without much luck.  Anybody here come across anything out there that might just do an adequate job please?

Jurek:
I know its not a mobile, but would a laser measure be of any help with this?

Polar Bear:
Hadn't thought of that.  Would one work outdoors over a range of upto 20 metres?

Jurek:

--- Quote from: Polar Bear on 23 April, 2022, 12:13:12 pm ---Hadn't thought of that.  Would one work outdoors over a range of upto 20 metres?

--- End quote ---
Yes.
ETA - One issue you may have with it, if you are unable to see detail,  is not being able to see where the red dot is.

Polar Bear:
Quite right.  That will be an issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version