Author Topic: Grease guns . . .  (Read 1563 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Grease guns . . .
« on: 17 May, 2022, 04:56:25 pm »
I've been using a Park Tool GG-1 grease gun for ages but it's now stopped working - no idea why, I've taken it to bits, cleaned it all, prodded out the nozzle etc.

It's been great to use BUT if it's dead (which I fear) then I'm in the market for another one - the Park is great but the grease capacity is pretty small and requires frequent refilling which is a) a pain the way it works, and b) very messy.

Is anyone aware of a similar style gun (thin nozzle, pump action) with a larger capacity that handles similar* grease?  - there seem to be lots of near identical guns to the Park but so far I've found nothing bigger. 

Using tubes is a no-no as they are expensive and wasteful (I'm using grease at the same rate as a small bike shop would)

* I do use Park Tool grease

Re: Grease guns . . .
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2022, 06:26:26 pm »
Rob,
For classic cars with grease points the best gun is a Wanner 315. Best look on e bay as it’s now superseded.
You can remove the fixed nozzle and fit a flexible one - I’ve made a point tool for mine for small jobs but you may be able to fit the pointy nozzle from your Park one.
Yes you fill it manually by pressing cylinder down into grease tins with the central filler discs or scoop it in by hand - a bit messy ! It has vent screws to release trapped air.

« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2022, 08:21:12 pm »
I've got a Dualco with the long nozzle, works well enough for pumping grease into hubs and pedals through the small holes.

It's small so not ideal for pro use.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2022, 08:38:21 pm »
Another vote for the Wanner. Only full size grease gun I have seen with a chain pull back rather than a rod.

« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2022, 09:36:55 pm »
Park GG-1 looks near identical to Dualco, Motorex versions. If you are using huge quantities then surely a cartridge is the way to go.

I use Motorex 2000 grease for applications requiring a bit of water resistance,  and which is the closest I can find to premium Shimano grease.

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2022, 10:03:15 pm »
Park GG-1 looks near identical to Dualco, Motorex versions. If you are using huge quantities then surely a cartridge is the way to go.

I use Motorex 2000 grease for applications requiring a bit of water resistance,  and which is the closest I can find to premium Shimano grease.

Yep - I've found probably a dozen that are badge-engineered pretty much as the Park . . . but just a different colour, or unpainted.

« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2022, 07:30:22 am »
I’m not sure if the capacity is what you’re looking for, but if you’re feeling spendy, Hope use the Nordson 7023141 in their service videos.

BFC

« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2022, 03:13:22 pm »
With your non working park unit - grease guns are fairly poor at pumping air, they can suffer from air locks.
The small injector pump may respond to a vacuum bleed method (eg syringe and bit of tube to seal to the nozzle) which you may have available for hydraulic brakes.

Wear on grease guns should not be a problem - the moving parts are lubricated.

BFC

« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2022, 02:29:44 pm »
There are needle nose adaptors suitable for "all brands of manual grease guns". Look for Sealey AK447.
I have one and it works well for getting grease into bearings. I did ream the small collar out to 16mm (from 15.7) to fit over the chuck on my Wanner gun (it has a standard grease nipple to connect to the gun).

« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2022, 02:50:11 pm »
I've got some of the Dualco style grease guns and a tub of grease with a plate that you push down to produce a grease gun sized extrusion of grease that you just scoop up with/into the barrel of the gun. I've not had to do a refill yet, so it may be that opening it up again is the messy part. If you're not already extruding though, maybe that's something to look at to solve at least part of the problem?

robgul

« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2022, 03:02:48 pm »
I've got some of the Dualco style grease guns and a tub of grease with a plate that you push down to produce a grease gun sized extrusion of grease that you just scoop up with/into the barrel of the gun. I've not had to do a refill yet, so it may be that opening it up again is the messy part. If you're not already extruding though, maybe that's something to look at to solve at least part of the problem?

I've been playing with the Park Tool gun a bit more - I'm not sure whether there's air in it somewhere or the plunger is faulty.  I'll persevere and clean it out completely- filling is a bit in-exact from a tub of Park Tool grease that you just spoon into the gun.   I

n the meantime I'll use the digital grease gun . . .  my index finger  ;D

« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2022, 08:07:09 pm »
I've just had a look at my Dualco with the long nozzle, the label says "Swiss made by Motorex" (prob just the grease), but stamped on the bottom is "Dualco, Houston, made in USA".

A quick search shows the Dualco version only comes a stubby nozzle, the Motorex version has the long nozzle but costs about twice the price.

robgul

« Reply #13 on: 21 May, 2022, 08:29:31 pm »
https://www.dualcobike-inc.com/Instruction_docs/700231.Instructions-Parts.2021.pdf

Brilliant - thanks - I'll check that out when I take the gun apart etc.

I'm off in a mini-tour for a couple of days, riding in "that London" on Sunday and Essex/Herts Monday/Tuesay so will look later in the week.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #14 on: 23 May, 2022, 10:33:24 pm »
I just use the TF2 grease gun and then buy the replacement tubes on their own.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/weldtite-tf2-grease-gun-with-teflon-bike-grease

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

robgul

« Reply #15 on: 24 May, 2022, 04:38:27 pm »
I just use the TF2 grease gun and then buy the replacement tubes on their own.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/weldtite-tf2-grease-gun-with-teflon-bike-grease

Yep - just a pricey way to do against the 1lb/454gm tubs of Park Grease - and that I have a full one and another about 3/4 full!