Author Topic: Rear mech stuff  (Read 614 times)

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
Rear mech stuff
« on: 28 May, 2022, 01:35:07 pm »
I’m sorting out my friends bike - has a wrecked rear mech and we’ve both been looking for a dark grey 6700 rear mech with no success - it’s his Sunday bike so he wants a nice example or DA so anyway…  ;D

He tips up with one and before I went to fit I realise he’d gotten a 6800 so…

Will it work ? I know it’s a not really but according to what I’ve read it just won’t like the 11t OR the 32t depending on how it’s fettled , correct ? If so that’s liveable because he’s never ridden an 11t in his life

However if it’s more like it’s jumpy as hell then it probably doesn’t warrant trying to finesse into a semblance of order - I see the cable pull is obviously the culprit and there doesn’t seem to be a shift mate for that so I’m just wondering if anyone has any experience

Or a dark grey 6700 or DA mech

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
Re: Rear mech stuff
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2022, 04:34:18 pm »
Read the instructions for cable routing for the mech you have, either printed and in the box if its a new part or online.

11s 105 and 11s ultegra are different, it confused me for a while while trying to set up a mates bike and using one of my bikes for reference!

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2022, 04:46:32 pm »
Setting up the mech isn’t an issue it’s using 10 speed 6700 STI with an 11 speed 6800 rear mech

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2022, 05:09:29 pm »
All available information says it should work but shifting may not be as good as the old mech (when it was new and fully set up!).

Assuming the rear mech hanger is pointing in the right direction (wrecking a rear mech usually has some implications for the frame mounting).