General Category > Racing

Mersey Roads 24hr 2022

<< < (2/16) > >>

LittleWheelsandBig:

--- Quote from: felstedrider on 08 June, 2022, 01:59:30 pm ---Last year the course was the same as when you last marshalled although they may have done one or 2 extra Battlebridge legs.   Safe to say it's all still based at Prees.   The finishing circuit was new and all on the industrial estate at Wrexham (quite quick as no hill).

--- End quote ---

I heard last weekend that the A41 road surface has become pretty bad and I guess that fair chunks of the course are still truck-infested, despite the reduction in traffic to Ireland. Such is life, as they say.

felstedrider:

--- Quote from: LittleWheelsandBig on 09 June, 2022, 10:40:03 am ---
--- Quote from: felstedrider on 08 June, 2022, 01:59:30 pm ---Last year the course was the same as when you last marshalled although they may have done one or 2 extra Battlebridge legs.   Safe to say it's all still based at Prees.   The finishing circuit was new and all on the industrial estate at Wrexham (quite quick as no hill).

--- End quote ---

I heard last weekend that the A41 road surface has become pretty bad and I guess that fair chunks of the course are still truck-infested, despite the reduction in traffic to Ireland. Such is life, as they say.

--- End quote ---

I've not been up there since 2019.   I did enter last year but had a crisis of confidence and flaked.

You may have already found this but last years details here :-

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/22059

As a rider I didn't notice how busy it was but the team at Prees thought the roads were busy.   This is not unusual as I marshalled on the Breckland 12hr last year and I thought racing on the road was madness but I never noticed as a rider.   I didn't the A41 rough last time but there were quite a few holes in the miles coming up to and leaving Prees on the night circuit.   Trike-wise Quina Brook has a lot of bends but you probably know that.

Note also, compulsory lids at TTs this year, along with permanent front and rear lights.

LittleWheelsandBig:
Yes, I particularly hate the new requirement to wear a helmet for 24hrs straight in a low tuck. I don’t think I will do this race again.

The bends are the enjoyable bit of riding a trike. Trundling along in a straight line is pretty boring.

felstedrider:

--- Quote from: LittleWheelsandBig on 09 June, 2022, 10:55:56 am ---Yes, I particularly hate the new requirement to wear a helmet for 24hrs straight in a low tuck. I don’t think I will do this race again.

--- End quote ---

Thinking back on the 3 24s that I managed to finish I did have to take my helmet off for the last 2hrs of the first one when my neck pretty much gave out.   The other 2 it stayed on for the whole event but the option to remove in any heat or with a bad neck would have been useful.

I would like another go but I'm not sure I can put myself through the training again.   I may have peaked with my last ride.

cygnet:
I'm not going to race this year - too out of shape and still recovering from last year (when I probably should not have raced)

I'm not a motorist, but am licensed to drive so if LWaB you would like some support (or anyone else of this parish) I'm happy to help. Otherwise I'll hope to to Marshall.

[Thought I'd give racers an option first)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version