Random Musings > Phototalk

End of compact cameras

(1/7) > >>

andyoxon:
I'd not actually fully appreciated this until recently.  It seems that the major camera manufacturers no longer produce compact cameras at all.  The camera market appears to now be high-end mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, or, 'anonymous' vlogging units the main feature of which seems to be 'HD' video.

I guess principally due to the rise of the mobile phone.

ETA

e.g. of camera timelines...

https://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras&page=1
https://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras&view=Grid&page=1

Kim:
Makes sense I suppose.

The GoPro type stuff seems to be doing well enough, but there seems to be a similar decline of consumer/semi-pro video cameras.  I suppose people shooting video in controlled situations just use DSLRs.

andyoxon:
It's a shame that the computational side of image processing lagged behind in the better compact cameras, with generally much better lenses/bigger sensors.   

As it is my phone (Pixel 4a) is capable in low light, pretty good HDR, & with no real shutter lag at all.  Interestingly the phone raw files are pretty well useless as a PP option, as so much in-phone processing wizardry goes on.

I was scanning available compacts to look for large sensor/decent telephoto range  - but going to have to be ebay I guess, if at all.  Agree about the camcorders, had a look at those too.

GoPro = great video, but wide angle only.

ETA.  Mobile phones do fulfill that maxim 'the best camera is the one you have with you' very well.

Jaded:
Micro four-thirds is quite compact and telephotos are effectively double the 35mm equivalent.

Paul H:
I think it's as much about the changing way people view the results as it is the equipment. If the aim is to have something to look good on instagram/WhatsApp/WhateverApp then the right equipment to achieve that is a decent phone, for the instant editing and uploading as much as the shot. There isn't a market for something unless it's significantly better and that won't be compact, or at least not pocketable.  Most of us carrying around better cameras and lenses, M 4/3 in my case, are doing so for their own enjoyment rather than that of others, even if we don't like to admit it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version