General Category > The Knowledge

BB & Crankset Q

(1/1)

ElyDave:
BB bearinsg failed big time on the NDS, crankset also needs replacing.

This bike will be TT duties only from now on, so cheapness is good.  With that in mind, I assume I don't need another Hollowtech BB set up, I can find an appropriate square taper BB and cranks and fit those?  It's just a case of getting the right spindle length and threads?

rogerzilla:
Yes.  Is it a derailleur at the back?

ElyDave:
yes, derailleur.

My thoughts have shifted that I'll try and clean up the HT crankset spindle with a bit of wet and dry paper, and buy a new BB.  I think I can live with eating a BB every now and then whilst on the turbo, vs buying an entire new chainset.

Feanor:
I think the principal cause of death of HT-2 NDS bearings is exposure to the elements in it's exposed location.
When used indoors, I'd expect a longer service life.

aidan.f:

--- Quote from: Feanor on 28 June, 2022, 05:33:45 pm ---I think the principal cause of death of HT-2 NDS bearings is exposure to the elements in it's exposed location.

--- End quote ---
''sealed' frames just compound the problem. When air inside contracts where is it going to be replaced from? ..yes through the bearing seals together with any skog and wet... A breather hole fixes this. I have steel frames with one 'built into the BB shell, another couple with the undershell cable guide fixing through drilled and I suppose the top of the seatpost could work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version