General Category > OT Knowledge

Senior Railcard

(1/12) > >>

Wowbagger:
After 6 years of railcard ownership, I allowed mine to lapse in 2020 because the pandemic meant that I wouldn't go on any trains. In fact, I have had two train journeys in the past 2 years, neither of which was planned in advance.

I have just bought some tickets for a return journey that I will undertake in August, and claimed the Senior Railcard discount. I will have to buy a railcard in advance of the journey. But it seems that now one's Senior Railcard can only be purchased as a virtual thing and it resides in the Trainline app. I checked my phone and I do indeed have a Trainline app.

Has anyone else any experience of adding discount railcards to the Trainline app? And is it actually possible to obtain a proper card to wave at a train guard/manager/ticket inspector, or is the electronic route The Only Way now?

The one good thing seems to be that it's still £70 for 3 years, and that's a price that hasn't changes since before I was 60 - over 8 years ago.

Tim Hall:
My not-Senior Railcard resides in my Railcard app and it Just Works.

You don't have to buy through Trainline but can buy through Network Rail as well.

(Tesco clubcard vouchers can be used against the cost of a one year Senior Railcard, amongst others)

lissotriton:
If you buy it from railcard.co.uk, can choose to get sent a card. Or just download it to the Railcard app.
Or buy a card at a station.

JonBuoy:
My physical not-Senior Railcard was delivered on Saturday having been ordered from https://www.railcard.co.uk/

Jaded:
It sits in the Railcard App, if it is in an app.Not the Trainline one.

You can buy tickets as if they have any railcard. The risk of that is having the right railcard with you when you are inspected...

Given I look like someone who would have a Railcard, I rarely get challenged. I even offered my Railcard on my last journey, because I could. I was the only person in my carriage.

I know that if I was young and black, I'd have to show it every time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version