Author Topic: General Garmin Grumbles that don’t warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 6830 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Other manufactures are obviously available, all with their own idiosyncrasies, but Garmin, as a major player in the activity GPS market deserve a thread of their own. IMHO obv.

My moans are minor niggles that stop the devices I’m using from being just perfect for me, but fall short of stopping me use them all together.

1. Audible. I have to carry my phone with me when I run because, even after years availability, neither Amazon nor Garmin have responded to user pleas to port the Audible app to the Garmin device infra. It can’t be that difficult, so it is only the exces at these companies stopping it from happening. Bastards.

2. Easily customisable screens. Yes, Garmin do have the ability to build your screens from the data fields, but it’s a clunky old process, and it isn’t available for all activities. For instance, you can’t create a customised screen of your chosen fields for programmed workouts.

3. Not acknowledging use feature requests (see above for two examples). This is on the forum on their servers that they have set up. There is no formal way to request features, or for them to pole their user base for new suggestions. I’ve seen requests dated 6 or 7 years back for those I mention above, but Garmin remain silent. It’s annoying to realise just how unimportant the user base is to these monolithic corporations.

4. A very minor niggle for me. Garmin Pay does not allow any of the credit or debit cards I have ever tried to register. I suspect that’s because the UK is too small a market for them to bother with in terms of negotiating with the banks.

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: General Garmin Grumbles that don’t warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2022, 08:14:42 pm »
1. Audible. I have to carry my phone with me when I run because, even after years availability, neither Amazon nor Garmin have responded to user pleas to port the Audible app to the Garmin device infra. It can’t be that difficult, so it is only the exces at these companies stopping it from happening. Bastards.
I'm sure there are ways of ripping from Audible and converting to MP3 if you wanted. Seems can do that with Libaton. https://github.com/rmcrackan/Libation
Or just don't buy any audiobooks unless they are available to download in a standard format.

4. A very minor niggle for me. Garmin Pay does not allow any of the credit or debit cards I have ever tried to register. I suspect that’s because the UK is too small a market for them to bother with in terms of negotiating with the banks.
Or the banks refusing to negotiate with Garmin?
Could set up another account just to use with Garmin Pay. Maybe something like Curve card, which can be linked directly to another credit card/debit card.

« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2022, 08:23:29 pm »
I'm with Beardy on the Garmin Pay.  It's crap.  Why not just sell out to Google and have Google Pay instead.  It's use is almost universal (Not Barclays) and it just seems to work.

I also despise the fact that Garmin are reluctant to bring to market a full eSim version allowing me to leave the phone at home.  I can see that at some point I will end up with a watch that supports Google Pay, full make /receive call capability and perhaps even Audible.  I like talking books.

My Garmin is great covering all my different activities in general and I am amazed at just how good it is at detecting my turns in the pool and how it quickly calibrated to running on the greadmill.  Very impressive.  They do so many good things but alas are shite at the edges.*

* Your opinion may vary.

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2022, 10:20:30 pm »
My Garmin watch thinks I'm doing a turn in the pool if I pause to avoid swimming into someone. I'm about 50/50 on failing to turn it on vs it  over-reading.

But it did tell Mr Smith I'd been in an incident at the Kaysburn RAB and he phoned to check I was OK. Which was nice.

(the incident was, erm, braking).

I can't read it with my glasses on so I can safely say that most of its foibles are 100% wetware.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2022, 11:34:21 pm »
I'm sure there are ways of ripping from Audible and converting to MP3 if you wanted. Seems can do that with Libaton. https://github.com/rmcrackan/Libation
Or just don't buy any audiobooks unless they are available to download in a standard format.
Work arounds exist in the uploading of spoken texts, but none of them (to my knowledge) support syncing with other devices and are thus useless to me. It’s a simple fix that the manufactures refuse to fix because they won’t talk to each other and damn the user/customer.
Or the banks refusing to negotiate with Garmin?
Could set up another account just to use with Garmin Pay. Maybe something like Curve card, which can be linked directly to another credit card/debit card.
Again that’s me doing the work to solve a problem that shouldn’t exist, and I’m not that bothered about it in any case.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2022, 12:06:45 am »
It would be useful if you tell us which 'Garmin' you are referring to. My eTrex do not have and never will have Audible or Garmin Pay features  ::-)

« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2022, 06:33:32 am »
I think we are talking about the fenix 6 watches. I agree all of these are annoying although I live with them. I am fortunate to live in the country so do not listen to music while running but do understand how annoying it is.
An Esim would be useful for emergencies.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 13 August, 2022, 07:03:05 am »
I'm interested in syncing with a continuous glucose meter, there are user-built widgets, but nothing official. These devices aren't exactly unusual these days
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2022, 07:31:06 am »
It would be useful if you tell us which 'Garmin' you are referring to. My eTrex do not have and never will have Audible or Garmin Pay features  ::-)
My Forerunner 620 is a great running watch. Lots of features and capabilities related to running.

Useless at making a cup of tea though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #9 on: 13 August, 2022, 09:05:29 am »
... I can't read it with my glasses on so I can safely say that most of its foibles are 100% wetware.

Made me laugh that.  Sorry  ☺️

I can't read mine in most circumstances but have learnt the button press sequences that I need.  It drives me insane when a firmware update dicks it about.  I use the app to review my puny efforts.

For clarity: my Garmin is a Fenix 6 Pro Sapphire wearable which I use for walking, running, gym, yoga and now swimming.  I got the Pro version in the misguided hope that I might be able to read it occasionally and with Sapphire glass to save me money long term on screen protectors.  Anecdotally I am convinced that the sapphire glass has paid for itself.

« Reply #10 on: 13 August, 2022, 12:28:41 pm »
My wrist Garmin is an Instinct 2 Solar which replaces a 735xt which was retired as it doesn't have native e-bike support. You can also read that as 'this user is so lazy they couldn't face going into every utility ride and changing it from bike to e-bike'.I think it does do Garmin pay, but I don't. Ditto running.
I also have a 530 for cycling.

« Reply #11 on: 13 August, 2022, 12:50:07 pm »
It proably does do Garmin Pay as does my Fenix 6.  The problem is though that almost no UK banks support Garmin Pay.  I think that HSBC might do but few if any other larger banks. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 16 August, 2022, 06:18:24 pm »
My Forerunner 620 is a great running watch. Lots of features and capabilities related to running.

I'll stick with my kettle then.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13 on: 17 August, 2022, 01:13:30 pm »

Make sure it's an internet-enabled kettle so you can post your tea-making to Strava.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 17 August, 2022, 01:30:19 pm »

Make sure it's an internet-enabled kettle so you can post your tea-making to Strava.
It's better than that! I can trace the route of each tea leaf from bush to cup, and plot a route into the kitchen and out again, possibly gaining KotM for the Col d'Escalier!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #15 on: 18 August, 2022, 02:47:25 pm »
My Garmin external battery pack (the one you can click underneath a  Edge 530/830 etc.) died in Brampton. Put it on a charger with 50% charge in it (two leds) , some 5 hours later when I got back no leds were shining, no charge was in it and I am now unable to charge it anymore  >:(

« Reply #16 on: 18 August, 2022, 02:50:42 pm »
My Garmin external battery pack (the one you can click underneath a  Edge 530/830 etc.) died in Brampton. Put it on a charger with 50% charge in it (two leds) , some 5 hours later when I got back no leds were shining, no charge was in it and I am now unable to charge it anymore  >:(

That's an expensive failure- those things are already overpriced.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #17 on: 19 August, 2022, 12:34:13 am »
Why not just buy a big battery pack?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #18 on: 19 August, 2022, 07:14:45 am »
I'm not in a hurry to buy a new one no  :-\

Using a regular (USB) battery to charge your GPS while riding has its risks. Water ingress during rain comes to mind, but the main risk is IMO that the USB plug acts as a vibrating lever in the USB port of the GPS. Eventually (and because Murphy at the most inconvenient time, ie in the midst of a 600km brevet) the port will come loose from the PCB leaving you with a paperweight. The obvious (and cheap) solution is to only charge when stopped.

I have been toying with a 3D-printed USB -> Garmin adapter, see this topic, but the first version did not charge reliably. Now working on v2, with different (beefier and designed to be soldered on wire) pogo-pins.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #19 on: 19 August, 2022, 08:24:16 am »
I was also using the Garmin external battery packs on LEL, for the same reason: Ive killed more than one edge by drowning.
The external packs provide a robust and waterproof solution.

This was a bit of an experiment for me, to see what the real life battery life is like.
On an extended tour later this year, my plan is to have 2: one in use and the other charging from the dynohub.

I carried 2 on LEL, one in use and one spare.
Basically, one got me all the way up and another all the way back.

As an emergency backup, I had yet another in Edinburgh which I didn't need, but I did swap it for the empty one as I passed through - there seemed little point carrying an empty back to London!

« Reply #20 on: 23 October, 2022, 01:15:55 am »
My blooming Garmin Edge 530 froze completely 3/4 of the way round today's ride.
I have not managed to get it unfrozen yet and am Quite Cross.

« Reply #21 on: 23 October, 2022, 07:50:18 am »
Happened to me once (old Edge explore)  only way to free it up was to connect it to my laptop. Never had it on my latest Garmin though.
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #22 on: 23 October, 2022, 12:53:26 pm »
That happened on my Edge 810 a couple of times and holding down the power button until it switched itself off (>15 seconds) sorted it. When switched back on, it took a while to find the satellites but the ride up to the point it froze was still there. Don’t know if the 530 behaves the same though.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #23 on: 23 October, 2022, 07:44:25 pm »
In my insomniac cramp-fest overnight I managed to unfreeze it. I merely had to hold the off button for about 30 seconds. It had recorded everything while the screen was frozen, which was nice.
And now I know, I'll hopefully be able to unfreeze it mid ride next time.

« Reply #24 on: 23 October, 2022, 10:03:21 pm »
With the original explore holding the button in properly for 20s [1] forces a restart and on a straight road you'd never know it had been off - nothing missing (maybe few hundred metres) as each bit just joins up, albeit with a straight line, I can't cycle slow/fast (unsure) to make a difference to track when finished [2].

[1] or several attempts if attention wanders...
[2] seems I had 2 conflicting events in 300m [3]
[3] appears to be the trigger, very hard to duplicate, few things seem to align as a potential cause [4]
[4] BJ lying isn't one as it's only been 6 times in 5 years my Garmin hung [5] 😉
[5] BJ does that per job/week/day doesn't he? (delete as appropriate)