Off Topic > Arts and Entertainment

What are you streaming at the moment…

(1/20) > >>

Beardy:
We’ve got a what’s on TV thread, and a what was the last filum you watched threads, but I can’t see a streaming thread, so here’s one I’ve made out of sticky back plastic.

We’re currently watching For All Mankind on Apple TV and really enjoying it. It starts off with the original space race in the late 60s but plays around with the outcomes and then goes on to speculate what if the space race didn’t end in the early 70s. It hasn’t yet got to far fetched to really be considered as SF, although that is in fact exactly what it is. I think the genre is sometimes referred to as speculative history.

It’s interesting to consider how the emotions it engenders within me have changed from the first series to third series. Because the first series sticks quite closely to the actual space tech that I watched in real life, the emotions the space sequences fire in me are quite visceral, even when I know that they have deviated from reality. But as the programmes role by and the tech moves further from reality and more towards a speculative tech the emotions aren’t as grounded and so don’t affect me in quite the same way. I’m sure psychologist could produce papers and papers based on this stuff.

Anyway, if you’ve access to Apple TV I can highly recommend the show.

T42:
Haven't got FruityVu and don't really want to give €€€ to Apple. Still, the series sounds interesting.

Been watching a Japanese serial about Fukushima on Netflux: fairly intense.  Can't quite believe that the PM of the time, Naoto Kan, was really such a clueless autocratic prick.

MattH:
I'm on a free Apple TV trial (a credit card gave a five month free trial).

I was most most interested for Long Way Up (the Ewan and thingy ride electric motorbikes up from South America to LA) - good, but a lot more about the issues of powering electric bikes and pickup trucks and dealing with software bugs than exploring and interacting with locals. They are definitely decreasing in quality for me from Long Way Round, then Long Way Down and finally this, even though production values go up.

Slow Horses - loved the books, the two series are good too. Very much the flawed, grubby spies fumbling along rather than high tech shiny Bond. I like this partly as it doesn't try to be too real; the security services are in different buildings to reality, for example, so in a way it helps the suspension of disbelief as, for example, they aren't trying to say that a random London building is Thames House, they say that the HQ is Regents Park. In the books it's pretty obvious that one of the politicians is based on Boris, that's not so clear in the TV series.

Foundation - based on the Asimov books. Very well done, though some bits aren't how I remembered them. But it's been a good 20 years since I read the books, must dig them out again.

It does seem that Apple are trying for quality rather than quantity. Whether I'll keep it up beyond the free trial is another matter...

ian:
For All Mankind is on our list, currently watching Servant, which is OK, if a bit of a one-series idea stretched to four series, but there's enough to keep us watching. Plus it's 30-minute episodes which ought to be more of a thing.

Slow Horses and Severance are, of course, Apple TV cannon. I like Apple TV as indeed they do seem focused on quality, rather than the Netflix scattergun approach (and then cancelling most of them after series one). We don't watch a lot of TV, so it's not like I need a new show every night. Other use cases might apply. Everyone tells me to watch Ted Lasso, but I find anything even adjacently related to football sends me to sleep.

Also watching Dark on Netflix, which is good but is also a workout for the brain, it takes the first series to figure out who's who in each time period (evidently not the only person, as the credits started to show a triptych of each character at different ages). On the last season now.

T42:
Might have a gander at FruitLoop TV after all.

Watched Dark last year some time: engaging enough but loony.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version