Off Topic > Arts and Entertainment

the best ending

(1/10) > >>

ian:
As per last night's pub debate, the best ending to a movie or a book. I'd say half went for the Usual Suspects, but I went for Fight Club. Books we struggled a bit, since the ending of a book I find is more of a last line than a closing scene. I did suggest Ulysses, which made me a bit of pseud and I was forced to recant and buy more beer. It is an extraordinary sentence though.

rogerzilla:
I'm a sucker for a good ending, so most of my suggestions in the must-see films thread have them.

Personally, I like the final scene of Dead Poets Society (count the empty desks at the start of the scene, showing how deep the purge has been).

Patton has it all - the imagery of tilting at windmills, the isolation, and the voiceover that started an entire urban legend about Roman triumphs.  https://youtu.be/uPiH-LBna5I?si=HUWrES4FK3MwfVMj

andyoxon:
The ending of the new 'Leave the world behind' is pretty good.  Mark Kermode said of it... "well done, that is a really, really good ending"

T42:
Best concluding line I know was by Fritz Leiber, at the end of his novella "Gonna Roll the Bones".  Worth putting under a spoiler:

(click to show/hide)It's about a chap called Joe who has a thing for gambling, but his wife and his mum are dead against it. They're dabblers in witchcraft too, and they pull a fast one on him when he sets out anyway for an evening's flutter. Joe, however, works it out after getting singed and is more than somewhat put out.  The last paragraph goes, roughly (long time since I read it):

"Then Joe Slattermill left the saloon and headed straight for home.  But he took the long way, round the world."

rafletcher:
I’m not sure about “best” but the end of Easy Rider is memorable, as it that of Electra Glide in Blue. And they are also similar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version