Off Topic > Arts and Entertainment

What's the last gig you went to see?

(1/337) > >>

Deano:
Grinderman, Leeds Uni, Monday.

It was a great show - obviously Nick Cave and Warren Ellis and the rest have been at it a long time, so they know how to hold an audience and how to put on a show.  Warren Ellis is amazing to watch on stage - he looks like an Old Testament prophet, but dresses and struts around the stage like a louche rock star.

The noise was immense.  Not the loudest gig I've heard, but pretty damn loud, and the first gig I've been to where adults have worn earplugs.  On record, they have more of a Bad Seeds vibe, but live the Dirty Three sound seemed to come to the fore, especially during the extended instrumentals.  There was plenty of stage-to-audience banter:

NC: "It's always the highlight of anyone's career to play Leeds University canteen.  So, are you all students?"
Audience: "Nooo.  We're too old to be students."

Also, there was a bizarre moment when someone chucked a paperback at Nick Cave, which he opened with bemusement.  

I didn't get very drunk, as I was expecting SU prices, but it turned out to be £3.00+ for a can of vaguely-alcoholic stuff.  So I had a couple, and enjoyed the show.  

YahudaMoon:
Dewa and another band of my friends of what I can't remember there name ? at Manchester Academy 3 about two month back is my last music gig. Dewa were OK and I don't think they have released any music to a format as yet ?
My mate was wasted and me myself sober as I was cycling back home.
There's something about live music I love though as I get older prefer the music in my own home. Also I'm getting to a part in my life now at 40 where walking into a gig on my own is becoming a little uncomfortable due to not being anywhere near in my 20's. Oh well at least I didn't look as out of place as my freind at the gig as he consumed way to much alcohol, is 5 years older than me and I'm better looking (Ihope ?) and I  was also part dressed as a cyclist and had my pannier bag over my shoulder flashing  a red tail light all night and no one botherd to tell me about it !.  I don't purposely go out to pubs , clubs and gigs with flashing tail lights flashing on my person.

nicknack:
Geoff Achison on Tuesday night. Touring the UK at the mo. If you're into bluesy guitar stuff try and see him. Excellent.

Rhys W:

--- Quote from: YahudaMoon on 29 September, 2010, 11:48:30 pm ---Also I'm getting to a part in my life now at 40 where walking into a gig on my own is becoming a little uncomfortable due to not being anywhere near in my 20's.

--- End quote ---

Don't be silly! There's always an old guy, nodding at the back and you know he's got a great record collection and probably was a musician himself. I aspire to be that guy one day.

Hot Flatus:
Deadmau5 at the Warehouse Project in Manchester. Rather disappointing.

Looking forward to Underworld at the Brixton Academy and Leftfield in December.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version