Author Topic: Good-humoured Motorist  (Read 3380 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Good-humoured Motorist
« on: 31 July, 2008, 11:59:25 am »
Just to balance the tales of woe, very real though they are, I thought I'd just post a vignette from last night.

Butterfly & I were on our way home from Putney.  Just near the Ram Brewery, a silver Range Rover zooms past, making a lot of noise.

Of course, we sailed past it to the lights.

On down Garratt Lane we went, not at top speed (my legs were below par), but a decent pace.  Approaching Earlsfield, the Range Rover wheezed alongside again.

'You're slow' said Butterfly, 'You took your time.'

I expected a frantic dash from the lights and a Range Rover trying to squeeze us off the road.

But no, we managed to get away smartly, and kept going up the road.  On through the roundabouts, and past the cemetery, till we pulle dup outside home.

We dismounted, and were about to go in, when I had a thought, and wheeled the bike out to the pavement.  We waited a bit, then saw the Range Rover come into view.  We stood & waved.  The passenger looked straight ahead.  Maybe he hadn't noticed us.  But the driver?  The driver stuck his arm out the window and gave us a merry wave and a smile.  He knew he was beat. ;D
Getting there...

Re: Good-humoured Motorist
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2008, 12:10:27 pm »
LOL, it's great isn't it?  I get one of these most times I commute.  Quite often I kick it off with "you need a faster car mate", and usually the drivers laugh gleefully!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2008, 12:13:05 pm »
We had already noted that we were travelling faster than an open-topped Porsche Boxster ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2008, 12:22:45 pm »
I got a smile out of a cabbie the other day. This is a fairly rare occurrence IME.

Turning into Marlborough Rd (off Pall Mall), I could hear that familiar chugging of a diesel engine behind me. Sometimes taxis cleverly try and make the turn with you (positioning tricky there due to cobbly bit helpfully in the middle of the lane) which is not ideal. This guy patiently waited behind me (and I don't take corners very fast, being me).

As we waited at the lights onto the Mall (he in the left lane, me in the middle) I turned and looked and him and smiled, he smiled back. Not sure if he made the connection between him waiting and not being an arse and me smiling at him, perhaps he just thought I fancied him, but hey.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2008, 01:10:39 pm »
I got a smile out of a cabbie the other day. This is a fairly rare occurrence IME.

Turning into Marlborough Rd (off Pall Mall), I could hear that familiar chugging of a diesel engine behind me. Sometimes taxis cleverly try and make the turn with you (positioning tricky there due to cobbly bit helpfully in the middle of the lane) which is not ideal. This guy patiently waited behind me (and I don't take corners very fast, being me).

As we waited at the lights onto the Mall (he in the left lane, me in the middle) I turned and looked and him and smiled, he smiled back. Not sure if he made the connection between him waiting and not being an arse and me smiling at him, perhaps he just thought I fancied him, but hey.

I'm sure every straight man with a pulse smiles at your beauty NSTN....
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #5 on: 31 July, 2008, 01:36:23 pm »
That is nice!

Most people are fairly chilled, and some are very nice. It's always nice to come across them.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2008, 01:10:43 am »
On the Pentland road yesterday everyone tapped the horn, waved and or smiled. Even the sheep.  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2008, 09:38:15 am »

I'm sure every straight man with a pulse smiles at your beauty NSTN....

You old charmer Reg! Thank you  :-*

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2008, 09:41:27 am »
I thought of making a similar comment, but reconsidered on grounds of smarm ;D

He's right, mind ;) :-*
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2008, 09:48:52 am »
On the Pentland road yesterday everyone tapped the horn, waved and or smiled. Even the sheep.  :)

Sheep tapping your horn?   :o   ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2008, 09:49:38 am »
When in Rome, PB... ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 01 August, 2008, 09:53:35 am »

Awww.  :-* That is very heartening, as I sometimes feel I look a bit of a fright on the bike!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 01 August, 2008, 09:55:21 am »
I volunteer to spend hours watching you ride, and making a full & objective assessment. ;)

Mr NSTN might object, though.... :(
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13 on: 01 August, 2008, 09:56:25 am »

Awww.  :-* That is very heartening, as I sometimes feel I look a bit of a fright on the bike!

You are forever fragrant and a vision of loveliness*, m'dear.....

*Except when riding 'off road' - then you are a snarling banshee...   ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 01 August, 2008, 09:59:56 am »
There's definitely a time & place when snarling banshees are rather attractive in their own right
Getting there...

« Reply #15 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:03:43 am »
I volunteer to spend hours watching you ride, and making a full & objective assessment. ;)

Mr NSTN might object, though.... :(

Nah. In his words, as I attemped to greet him in a red-faced and 'glowing' manner after fairly hot and humid commute home the other day:

'Ugh!'  ::-)

You are forever fragrant and a vision of loveliness*, m'dear.....

*Except when riding 'off road' - then you are a snarling banshee...  ;D

Fair comment, I wouldn't argue with the banshee thing. You haven't seen me when someone tells me to 'get on the cycle path...' - that also awakens a certain rage in me.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #16 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:44:07 am »
In general healthy people will look more attractive, even a post ride cyclist with certain exeptions. My own low point was last years Newbury Victor Ludorum where I almost fell off at the end. Indeed, I ws so pissed off with myself that if I was not near death I may have thrown the bike away. Turns out that cycling a hard 117 miles id bad for you if you have internal bleeding. It is all a learning curve...
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:52:38 am »
Who'd have thought, Jasper? ;D  Glad you survived...
Getting there...

« Reply #18 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:07:11 pm »

:)   Very well put--I may use that in the future, if you don't mind.

^^^^^^^
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:11:06 pm »

As we waited at the lights onto the Mall (he in the left lane, me in the middle) I turned and looked and him and smiled, he smiled back.

My money would be on either rigor mortis or wind.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #20 on: 01 August, 2008, 11:17:13 pm »
This afternoon, stopped at a pedestrian crossing, next to a souped up Saxo ( y'know, the kind that goes pffft when it changes gear) the peds cross, a car stopped on the opposite side of the road moves across the crossing and drives away. The driver of the Saxo yells "Oi, the light's red you prat", I say to his passenger "I'm glad it's not just me who thought that" passenger and driver smile. Lights change, I pull away, Saxo pulls alongside slowly and the driver yells "wanna race?" then drives away slowly and carefully. I laugh and yell that he's confusing me with somebody who can ride at speed. I notice that the Saxo remains at a sensible speed for the conditions (lower than the actual speed limit) all the way to the next roundabout. I turn off then, so no idea how he drove after that, but the signs were good.