Author Topic: SMIDSY  (Read 7903 times)

Re: SMIDSY
« Reply #25 on: 01 August, 2008, 11:08:27 am »
Do NOT expect the insurance company to do anything unless you put a knife to their throats. They are devious bastards who will do all they can to hang on to their cash for as long as possible.

Ain't that the truth. My crash was over a year ago, the driver was convicted on three counts, but apparently the insurance company (Ecclesiastical Ins Co, believe it or not) are still saying they need time to "determine liability" ::-).
R J & W have given up giving them the benefit of the doubt and have issued court proceedings against them - having had CTC's agreement.

I dont like our litigeous society

Neither do I, but surely that refers to frivoulous claims (eg through your own stupidity) or pure accidents. If you are injured due to someone else's carelessness, why should you have to suffer, both physically and monetarily?

+1

My bump was in November 2006 and they're (defendants) still dragging their heels.

And I am a CTC member. I had a look through all the personal injury people in the ads in the latest issue of "cycle", which is where I found someone local that are supposed to be good. But phoning them was on the list of things to do tomorrow when I find out this blokes insurance details. :)

As a CTC member, phone them first, no need to wait for the insurance details.

You don't need someone local, I pass Russell, Jones & Walker's office twice a day but I've never needed to go in over the course of my case.

Yes, Just phone CTC.  They cover all costs so it costs you absolutely nothing.  The other ambulance chasers *might* cost you if you lose as I understand it.   The CTC use Russell Jones and Walker who seem slow but methodical and they get their man.

Slightly OT, but is there _anybody_ here who hasn't ever been knocked off their bike or struck by a vehicle?  I don't think I've ever met a cyclist who hasn't been hit by a vehicle at least once.  Speaking for myself I've been taken out twice.

Put in perspective, I think that most people will have been bumped at some point, just as most cars end up with a supermarket trolley/bollard scrape.   Minor scrapes etc.  The big impacts with seriou sinjury are much less likely to happen and I don't think many people can claim them.

I've been hit several times, but have a high mileage which is mostly on the busy commuting roads in rush hour (20 to 30mph traffic, not the gridlock that Londoners can enjoy).  Usual injury is grazing to me & bike.   Worst injury (the Nov 2006 one) was whiplash.  Mind you it was a similar impact to .calm's and I too caused severe damage to the car.  Fortunately I wasn't wearing a helmet as the backward roll over the car bonnet would have resulted in a much worse neck injury to me.

Ironically the worst injury I ever received when cycling was a  snapped shoulder ligament, caused by the bike hitting a rut and going out from under me.

And for real perspective, maintaining the bikes is more hazardous to me than riding them.  And DIY and real life seems to result in even more injuries than maintaining the bikes.   Actually going out and cycling is the safest thing I can do.

spindrift

« Reply #26 on: 01 August, 2008, 11:16:06 am »
My bump was in November 2006 and they're (defendants) still dragging their heels.

Jesus H. Corbett.

« Reply #27 on: 01 August, 2008, 11:40:32 am »

Jesus H. Corbett.

Oh, 2 years is quite common. I was in a van hit by a lorry on the motorway, several witnesses, it was still two years before I saw any money. 18months for it to reach court.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #28 on: 01 August, 2008, 11:47:38 am »
Slightly OT, but is there _anybody_ here who hasn't ever been knocked off their bike or struck by a vehicle?  I don't think I've ever met a cyclist who hasn't been hit by a vehicle at least once.  Speaking for myself I've been taken out twice.

Me. Never been hit by a vehicle in 30,000 miles+ of cycling.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #29 on: 01 August, 2008, 11:50:14 am »

Jesus H. Corbett.

Liability accepted, and interim payment made for minor repairs.  Details over remainder of costs etc. being argued ignored by defendants.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #30 on: 01 August, 2008, 11:51:59 am »

Me. Never been hit by a vehicle in 30,000 miles+ of cycling.
Crikey!

P'raps we should be worshipping you as some sort of cycling God?  Or....sacrificing you to the _real_ God of Cycling on a stepped pyramid somewhere in a South American jungle to prevent the rest of us getting hit again?    :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Chris N

« Reply #31 on: 01 August, 2008, 12:02:24 pm »
Why should not being hit by a vehicle be such a surprise?  Cycling is not dangerous and motorists are not out to get us.

« Reply #32 on: 01 August, 2008, 12:14:18 pm »
I think the surprise is that in 30,000 miles a bump of some sort would be expected, no matter what the vehicle is.

Certainly in the first 3 or 4 years of owning the car there's a couple of small dinks, which I think have come from other drivers opening doors in a car park when we weren't around.

I cycled past a bump last night.  One car had hit the back of the queue.  Details being exchanged, but no obvious damage at all.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #33 on: 01 August, 2008, 01:23:20 pm »
Having used up all my fingers and toes, I have been hit by vehicles over 20 times in my long but far from illustrious cycling life.  The majority have been minor SMIDSYs - only two have resulted in severe enough injuries to require hospital treatment.

The last driver I sued, it took almost three years to settle the personal injury claim... so you've got a bit longer yet Nutty!  But it was worth it...  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #34 on: 01 August, 2008, 01:28:53 pm »
I'm yet to hit a vehicle / be hit by a vehicle, other than inconsequential nudging and the occasional application of a slap to a vehicle's side when too close.

In four years of commuting in excess of 3000 miles a year I've had two emergency stops from SMIDSYs (one this week).

Many years ago when I was younger and significantly more stupid less wise, I had to put the bike down to avoid going into the side of a vehicle turning across me. This too would have been irrelevant but for the fact I was using toe clips which didn't release and I was using the bike as physio to recover from a knee ligament injury. No scuffs or bruises but my knee was pretty swollen for a couple of days after that one.
Rust never sleeps

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #35 on: 01 August, 2008, 01:38:44 pm »
ok note  to myself MUST JOIN CTC as its going to happen sometime

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #36 on: 01 August, 2008, 01:39:22 pm »
Blimey, some of you lot are a bit accident prone.

No SMIDSYs or similar in about 48 years of cycling. I can only remember coming off (all my own doing) about 4 times - none serious. Obviously, I'm a very careful cyclist (or my memory is not to be trusted).

I did manage to scrape my knuckles once when failing to stop quickly enough behind a lorry and front wheel and bars went under the back of it - about 35 years ago.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #37 on: 01 August, 2008, 01:50:08 pm »
I've only had the one cycling accident. Admittedly, it killed me, so I think I'm still in credit.

Since I returned to cycling, only the one prang and that was another cyclist running into the back of me (I stopped at a red light, she didn't on the basis that "she didn't think I was going to").

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 01 August, 2008, 01:52:16 pm »
I'm not sure what we're counting as an incident.  Having thought about it, I have been struck by passing wing mirrors and the like, but it was never an off.  They are:

1.  Hit by motorbike

2.  Hit lump of tarmac at speed - no other vehicles involved

3.  Forgot toestraps were too tight at unexpected temporary red light - NOVI :-[

4.  Unbalanced after stopping abruptly at a red light and leaning towards the clipped in side - NOVI :-[

5.  Riding too close to a van which pulled across my line.  Turned and put the bike down, after hitting the back door. :-[
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #39 on: 01 August, 2008, 01:59:02 pm »
I've only had the one cycling accident. Admittedly, it killed me, so I think I'm still in credit.

Since I returned to cycling, only the one prang and that was another cyclist running into the back of me (I stopped at a red light, she didn't on the basis that "she didn't think I was going to").

Cripes and egad!*  We have a ghost member!       :o

;D

*(C)Boris Johnson

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #40 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:14:31 pm »
Ian is not the only member who's been dead.  Maybe the only one killed by our mutual pastime, but not the only one.
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #41 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:16:22 pm »
Ian is not the only member who's been dead.  Maybe the only one killed by our mutual pastime, but not the only one.

Are you saying he's a born again cyclist?    :D  (Looks for 'happy clappy' smiley)

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #42 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:20:14 pm »
I'm not sure what we're counting as an incident.  ...

I have been counting EVERY time there has either been
a) contact between another vehicle and myself.
b) any time I have come off the bike as a result of avoiding action.

As I said above the majority of these have had a cuinsiquonce of nothing more major than putting the jacket in the wash to remove the dirt picked up from the side of the bus that wiped along me, and writing to the bus company to offer my assistance as an official bus cleaner so that I could do it in comfort in their car park instead of at 25mph on the A13.

ian

« Reply #43 on: 01 August, 2008, 04:54:49 pm »

Are you saying he's a born again cyclist?    :D  (Looks for 'happy clappy' smiley)

Actually, I think I am. I didn't cycle for about ten years after the accident. Hallelujah.

Being dead was pretty much a disappointment, unfortunately, and I make a point of not going places that don't serve beer. And is there beer in the afterlife: I can categorically answer 'no'. There aren't any squirrels either.

I was quite annoyed to learn I had missed a possibly quite exciting helicopter ride, too.

.calm

« Reply #44 on: 01 August, 2008, 08:29:12 pm »
I was quite annoyed to learn I had missed a possibly quite exciting helicopter ride, too.

I got a helicopter ride back in February when I fell down the side of a mountain. They're not all they're cracked up to be.

It's downright scary when you're being winched up towards some whirling blades in the pitch black with a 60mph dowdraft.

fiendish

• Yummy!
« Reply #45 on: 01 August, 2008, 08:39:59 pm »
Technically I have never been hit by a vehicle.  I have been hit by a kerb whilst trying to avoid a stationary caravan* though.  And I missed the ambulance ride.  And 24 hours of hospital.

*steep hill, sharp turn, freshly dressed road.

Why should not being hit by a vehicle be such a surprise?  Cycling is not dangerous and motorists are not out to get us.

Mr F says apart from Aston Martin drivers in Leicestershire.

.calm

« Reply #46 on: 01 August, 2008, 09:10:23 pm »
The CTC legal people were pretty helpful. I told them all the details and they are sending through various documents with it all typed up. I didn't quite believe that it costs nothing and that you get 100% of any compensation but apparently it's true - they get paid from the insurance company. They seemed to think it sounded pretty positive, although some of the questions got a bit close to ambulance chasing ("Has it affected your social life?" for instance)

I got the bike back this evening. The front wheel is tacoed and the rim needs replacing at a minimum. I've not checked the hub or spokes yet. The STIs are scratched and bent askew. The main problem is the fork though.  The right fork leg is pretty badly bent forwards and upwards and is basically a write off. After a cursory glance the frame looks ok but I've not looked at the alignment, just checked behind the head tube for obvious problems. On top of all that there's various scrapes and scratches on the rack and saddle. It's a bit of a mess really. A quick check on the sjs cycles website has the repair cost running to about £450 (including labour) so far, perhaps £500 with a new saddle and rack.

When I picked it up the chap who was looking after it said the police had been round taking photos of the car (he lives round the corner from where the crash happened). I've not heard from the police yet though.

At the moment all I can do is wait for various bits of paper to appear in the post.

« Reply #47 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:01:49 pm »
Sorry to hear about the bike, but I'm glad you're mostly OK after that....
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #48 on: 01 August, 2008, 10:29:01 pm »
...I didn't quite believe that it costs nothing and that you get 100% of any compensation but apparently it's true - they get paid from the insurance company. They seemed to think it sounded pretty positive, although some of the questions got a bit close to ambulance chasing ("Has it affected your social life?" for instance)

Trust it, it's true ;D

And the "ambulance chasing" questions are actually pretty sensible.  I got asked a few things in the medical exam they sent me to and it was only after that that I realised how much the bump had affected me.  500+ miles a month had dropped to 10, and I couldn't be bothered with anything, which I'd put down to lazyness but actually could be classed medically as depresion/minor PTSD (I think it's 'post traumatic stress disorder'?)

I was only after "bike and clothing repair", which in itself was a tidy sum, but when you see noted down (and given the guidelines all insurers stick to) just how they value each injury and how it affects you, you realise just what you've missed out on.

It's only now that I realise that many months of driving to work etc instead of cycling daily as I used to, has actually hit my pocket a fair bit.  I haven't claimed for that as the petrol costs etc weren't a necessity...  but had the defendants accepted the "depression" claim (they didn't) then the money provided would correctly have covered the fact I was incurring costs through my state of mind.