Author Topic: Llanfair.....400  (Read 29224 times)

Llanfair.....400
« on: 04 May, 2014, 08:53:17 am »
Not sure if its possible but I have an entry for this up for grabs if anyone is interested, as I have to work that weekend now  :(

Assume all it would take is a note to the organiser? Ride is on Saturday 24th
There's always time for a second slice of cake.

Re: Llanfair.....400
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2014, 07:57:08 pm »
Wasn't planning to do this one in 2014 and busy that weekend anyway. It is a great route though. Fav bit last year was on the return coming round the bay at night to see the floodlit Conwy Castle. Magic! Do it if you can.
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2014, 08:09:38 pm »
I already have an entry. Looking forward to it although a bit scared. Will be my longest ride ever.

« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2014, 10:23:51 pm »
That makes two of us trio25. Really looking forward to it but also slightly scared, as it will be my first 'lone' night riding - only done the arrow where I had excellent team support  :D
Anyone staying over night and going for a meal on the Friday?

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2014, 10:19:21 am »
I'm local enough to get a lift to the start.

I must get my gpx track sorted and route sheet laminated.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2014, 12:23:47 pm »
That makes two of us trio25. Really looking forward to it but also slightly scared, as it will be my first 'lone' night riding - only done the arrow where I had excellent team support  :D
Anyone staying over night and going for a meal on the Friday?

Try to team up with a few others for the night section.  It always makes it much easier to navigate & stay focussed (awake) if you're in a group  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2014, 04:41:08 pm »
Thanks, fungus. Will try and do that  :D

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2014, 07:55:05 pm »
I've got an entry in for this, not done it before.  Glad to here it's a scenic route!

Would be more than happy to team up for the night section if thats how it works out, (or if there's a headwind for the first 200km!)

Not around the night before, just about close enough to ride across in the morning since its a civilised 9am start.

Looking forward to it !
serendipity is my satnav

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2014, 08:26:23 pm »
Yep, there's often a control or stop where riders gather together before heading off into the night. Makes it much easier, and I do love the overnight chats.

« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2014, 08:51:43 pm »
I like this ride - done it twice before and in for a third time. The route is a really nice mix of lanes, cycle paths, bridges, coastal and mountain views. For my money, I think Halkyn and especially the Sychnant Pass (ice cream van just past the summit) are worth doing for the contrast and the views.

Both times I have ridden it groups have formed on the return from Holyhead for the night time sections.

On previous occasions MemSec has made a lot of very welcome efforts to feed us rice pudding and goodies in a very scenic car park (and that's not sarcasm - the views are great).

The chip shop in Valley is open till about 8.30pm and a number of riders formed an orderly queue to top up, and indulge in the usual "you're mad conversations" before hooking up. Because it is a flat return leg it is pretty easy to stick together for long sections, and there were around 30 in the Abergele McDs at around 1am-2am.

« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2014, 09:17:48 pm »
Thanks for all these infos; put my mind at rest re the night riding.
Enjoyed riding through the night on the Easter Arrow, but I had a great team pulling me through then ;D so wasn't sure how it would pan out on a 'normal' calendar event - now I just need to be fast enough for the night gaggle in Wales :D

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2014, 11:08:23 pm »
and there were around 30 in the Abergele McDs at around 1am-2am.

Because it was only just above freezing outside IIRC!  Hopefully the weather should be much better warmer this year, mainly because I will be at my sister's wedding at the top of Halkyn Mountain (actually just around the corner from the old "R @ The Black Lion PH" instruction).

+1 to everything else TC said, especially MemSec's pop-up controls, which I think you'll miss this year as he's declared he's riding?  The fish&chips smothered in curry sauce still stick in my memory in a really good way.  Last year's ride report here (clickety).

I hope you all have a cracking ride!  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2014, 06:21:58 am »
I'm riding!! Did it last year and it was fab  :)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #13 on: 11 May, 2014, 01:02:40 pm »
Are you travelling up on the Friday, Mike? Any suggestions for a suitable dinner venue?
Don't think I'll have the pleasure of riding the night with you, as you'll be way ahead of me  :D

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2014, 11:13:12 pm »
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-66/#more
"with no AAA points (last year's climbs of Halkyn and Sychnant now excluded)!"

since route options are given that include Halkyn & Sychnant then would we be able to claim the AAA points validated by GPS if we go that way?

« Reply #15 on: 13 May, 2014, 11:25:11 pm »
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-66/#more
"with no AAA points (last year's climbs of Halkyn and Sychnant now excluded)!"

since route options are given that include Halkyn & Sychnant then would we be able to claim the AAA points validated by GPS if we go that way?

I believe the answer is 'No' as the calendar event states nil AAA and while choice of route between controls is optional, you can't add AAA to a non-AAA calendar event.

You can't use GPS either for a DIY as I believe you can't do a DIY on the route of a calendar event on the same day (or indeed a Perm version on the same day of calendar event).

Looks like Halkyn & Sychnant options are just for fun!

(I could be wrong and I'm sure others will be along shortly to confirm, one way or the other.)

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #16 on: 14 May, 2014, 08:43:55 am »
you can't add AAA to a non-AAA calendar event.

I must have misunderstood something I read a while ago that suggested you could, I can't find it now.

Anyway, apparently there is not enough altitude for AAA points even if Halkyn & Sychnant are included, so they are just for fun and to enjoy the views.

mikewigley

« Reply #17 on: 14 May, 2014, 10:46:59 am »
MemSec's pop-up controls, which I think you'll miss this year as he's declared he's riding?

Nope, I plan to be at Connahs Quay ( or rather at Shotton, they are a bit indistinguisable) and Holyhead again to look after your needs.  I'll probably be waiting for you at the finish too

mikewigley

« Reply #18 on: 14 May, 2014, 11:15:11 am »
Anyway, apparently there is not enough altitude for AAA points even if Halkyn & Sychnant are included, so they are just for fun and to enjoy the views.

Have a look at http://a55wales.co.uk/?cat=8 and in particular scroll down to Bodelwyddan Church, one of the sights to be missed if you stick to the coast route

And if you are not in a hurry, Sychnant Pass http://www.greatorme.org.uk/sychnant.html is definitely worth looking at.

I think this is one of my favourite rides, with stuff to look at all the way.  I like the bridges (Hartford http://northwich.daniel-clark.co.uk/index.php/tag/river-weaver/ , the Greenway bridge at Queensferry, Harwarden (undergoing a fresh paint), the new Dragon bridge http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/rhyl_salutes_new_bridge.htm at Rhyl, Conway Suspension, the cycling bridges at St Asaph (hilly only) and Pen-y-clip bridges http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/pe_y_cl_brs.htm (they spent a million on each just for us!), Britannia, Mennai and Flintshire (floodlit at night!)

Wellsie

• Man I loooove the cake!!!
« Reply #19 on: 15 May, 2014, 07:15:32 am »
I will be riding this as my first 400 and as my longest ride to date ;D

Wellsie

• Man I loooove the cake!!!
« Reply #20 on: 15 May, 2014, 07:56:45 am »
Hmmmm hills or no hills....

« Reply #21 on: 15 May, 2014, 08:44:30 am »
Will be my first calendar 400, too, Wellsie.
Decided to do half of the hills, i.e. the Sychnant Pass, as a compromise  :D.

« Reply #22 on: 15 May, 2014, 11:52:09 am »
If it's your first pass and you have gears, do the hills. They're not onerous and definitely worth the effort.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #23 on: 15 May, 2014, 12:04:11 pm »
Definitely hills: during the day the flat coast road from Flint to Prestatyn is HORRIBLE: lots of traffic and nothing much to look at. You will see it again (kinda) in the early hours on your return, but it should be quiet then and is a good through-the-night blitz if you can get a group working together, or hang onto a faster rider's wheel.  Up and over Halkyn you get the moorland on Halkyn Mountain and lots of quiet lanes through livestock country with a fast descent to the charming St Asaph and the backroads to Bodelwyddan, which is a spectacle – I always thought it a folly, but it's actually a genuine olde worlde country house and the marble church is much older than it looks.

And the route over Sychnant is too nice to miss, especially with the quick drop down the other side: beautiful open hillside, peaceful, unbusy, and only 150m of climbing.  You will see the coastal route on your return as the light's fading and all you get to see on the bottom route really is a cycle path alongside the A55 expressway, the old A5 around the cliff and the back end of a caravan park – boring!

If you don't do the hills then it won't feel like Wales: not because of the hills, but because of the quietness and the scenery.  If you stick to the coast road then it feels like a Butlin's day out.

It's also worth promoting the "proper" return route across Anglesey: we returned via the A5 last year in a quick group, but the B5109 is a much nicer ride and only a few minutes longer.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #24 on: 15 May, 2014, 12:08:32 pm »
Sold - both hills it is. Thanks   :thumbsup: