Author Topic: Recover missing iPhone backup  (Read 10107 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Recover missing iPhone backup
« on: 26 November, 2011, 01:31:43 am »
Not quite sure how it happened but my iPhone got wiped yesterday (possibly someone logging me out of the computer while it was mid-sync).

I tried to restore it from a back-up but the most recent back-up file it offered me was dated the 15th of October.

Now, I was convinced iTunes made a back-up every time you connect phone the computer, and I sync it nearly every day to keep my podcasts up to date.

So, where is my most recent back-up? Is there any way of recovering it?

My contacts and stuff like that are fine because they're stored in the cloud, but loads of app data has been wiped, which is a major annoyance.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Re: Recover missing iPhone backup
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2011, 01:41:14 pm »
Backups live in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync

iTunes should let you select from available backups, not sure why some aren't showing, it should backup with each sync (by default, I think there is a device preference). If you have Time Machine, it should be archived. You should see all available backups in iTunes > Preferences > Devices.

For some reason, the most recent update nuked my iPad (either that I emit some kind of ray that disrupts iPads) and I had to restore. A lot of app data didn't come back during the restore, most annoyingly the arrangement of apps on the device, which I then had to reorder. I may have uttered a bad word.

citoyen

« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2011, 03:48:56 pm »
Backups live in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync

Thanks.  :thumbsup:

it should backup with each sync (by default, I think there is a device preference).

I also thought it automatically backed up on syncing. Maybe I've inadvertently unselected that preference.

Hmmm... just had a thought. 15th October is about when iOS5 was released, isn't it? I wonder if the two facts are related.   :facepalm:

If you have Time Machine, it should be archived. You should see all available backups in iTunes > Preferences > Devices.

Note to self: must get round to actually setting up Time Machine...

For some reason, the most recent update nuked my iPad (either that I emit some kind of ray that disrupts iPads) and I had to restore. A lot of app data didn't come back during the restore, most annoyingly the arrangement of apps on the device, which I then had to reorder. I may have uttered a bad word.

Yes, this is exactly my experience. It's taken me ages to get all my apps set up just so, and now I have to go through it all over again. And I've lost all the data in my to-do and financial apps, which just makes me feel sick.  :'(

d.

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 28 November, 2011, 04:18:53 pm »
Hmmm... just had a thought. 15th October is about when iOS5 was released, isn't it? I wonder if the two facts are related.   :facepalm:

According to this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766 automatic backup is disabled if you sync to iCloud.

Thing is, I know I have the option checked in iTunes to sync to the computer rather than to iCloud, but I do sync contacts and stuff to iCloud, so maybe that's where the problem lies. I might turn off iCloud altogether and go back to doing it the old way.

d.

ian

« Reply #4 on: 28 November, 2011, 04:39:19 pm »

According to this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766 automatic backup is disabled if you sync to iCloud.

Thing is, I know I have the option checked in iTunes to sync to the computer rather than to iCloud, but I do sync contacts and stuff to iCloud, so maybe that's where the problem lies. I might turn off iCloud altogether and go back to doing it the old way.

d.

I confess, I've yet to trust or figure out iCloud – I sync to this computer every few days, and that's backed up, so should be fine. The main iTunes library lives on NAS, which then backs up to the hard drive downstairs, and this desktop, and via that to Time Machine. That's probably exhausting enough, though I should one day back up all that media off-site...

citoyen

« Reply #5 on: 28 November, 2011, 04:59:29 pm »
I've probably been too trusting of iCloud, even though I can't make full use of its features since I only have a 3GS. (Not jealous that my wife got a 4S today. No way. Not me. Uh-uh.)

I'm not so concerned about losing music and apps since you can now re-download anything you've previously purchased, and everything else I've got on CD, so if the worst happens...

It's mainly losing the app data that concerns me but I've just discovered that I could have synced 2Do to iCal, so I needn't have lost that data.  :facepalm:

d.

« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2011, 05:00:29 pm »

d.

Thats what I've done.  iCloud caused me more issues than benefits

« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2016, 03:18:24 pm »
I found a way which can restore iPhone 4s data. But I don't know why this way can recover data.

New user, commercial link (removed), 4 year-old thread ...

Hmmm.

The Movers

• We just work here
« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2016, 03:42:52 pm »
Abracadabra!
If other mods wish to resurrect Mrs Rupert Murdoch, I'll let them!