Author Topic: County Cricket 2024  (Read 2188 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: County Cricket 2024
« Reply #50 on: 15 April, 2024, 06:04:46 pm »
Draw at Chelmsford. Meanwhile, Surrey have lost 4 quick wickets. 97 runs, or 6 wickets, off 46 deliveries, required for a result. Can Surrey contrive to lose?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #51 on: 15 April, 2024, 06:08:11 pm »
I'm staggered there's been any play at Edgbaston today. The weather here - 20 miles away - has been atrocious. Still, well done Durham. That must've been a daunting score to follow.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #52 on: 15 April, 2024, 06:16:44 pm »
Draw at the Oval.

« Reply #53 on: 15 April, 2024, 07:12:52 pm »
I'm staggered there's been any play at Edgbaston today. The weather here - 20 miles away - has been atrocious. Still, well done Durham. That must've been a daunting score to follow.

:thumbsup:

In the lower division all teams have now played 2 games and every one has been a draw.  I know there has been weather but I wonder if they are using the K ball, too?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #54 on: 15 April, 2024, 08:20:28 pm »

:thumbsup:

In the lower division all teams have now played 2 games and every one has been a draw.  I know there has been weather but I wonder if they are using the K ball, too?

I've noticed over the last few years that there are a lot of high scores early in the season.  I wonder if it's the challenge of preparing a pitch so early in the season.  I know my lawn is not a good example, but it only recently had its second cut and it is not growing at normal summer pace.  And I would be surprised if the ground is truly dry and hard.  From my times playing village cricket that made the ball sit up and wait to be hit.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #55 on: 15 April, 2024, 10:24:42 pm »
Essex is the only team in either division to have won a match after two rounds. Even though it is early in the season, it is gratifying to see Surrey at the foot of the table.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #56 on: 17 April, 2024, 09:58:42 am »
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ecb-trial-kookaburra-english-county-cricket-fantastic-worst-decision-ever-1429486

Interesting article weighing up the merits of the kookaburra ball.  Made me reassess things - I've long since pondered why, when spinners run through a side, the ground gets reported, but when its a low scoring seamer's paradise, it doesn't.  But if the ball allows an average professional to skittle out a side and leave batsmen with a mindset similar to British cyclist descending (fearing potholes and loose gravel around every corner), then perhaps there is merit in making things harder for the bowlers for a change and seeing who really can take wickets on an easier surface.  Plus restoring the balance between spin and seam - where the talk so far this season has been that England spinners are struggling to get a game for their county side.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #57 on: 17 April, 2024, 11:23:39 am »
Interesting stuff, CAT.  On the last point, Lyon (Australia) has played both games for Lancashire, while Hartley was absent from the recent one.  Perversely, Anderson has played neither.  They will be milking Lyon because he is only going to play half the season, now because of his Test team's requirements.  Not that that will be any consolation for Hartley.  Maybe Hartley is injured, too because he batted better than most in the first game.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 12:36:03 pm »
It seems as though the rain is in the south-east at the moment. No play yet in Kent, and a delayed start at Chelmsford where Lancs are 11-0, having been inserted (!) by Essex. (I’m not sure but I think that silly expression might have been coined by Trevor Bailey).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 01:21:19 pm »
Surrey seem to have been very unlucky with the weather so far. Hardly any play in their first match in Lancashire, and no play before lunch today in Canterbury.

Meanwhile, Essex seem to have made a decent start thanks to Snater (what a lovely name!) whose figures so far are 2 overs, 1 maiden, 1 run, 2 wickets.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 01:35:23 pm »
10 balls so far at Canterbury.  Zak Crawley 1 of 1 (100 scoring rate).  Ben Compton 0 off 9 (scoring rate 0).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 02:14:29 pm »
Heavy rain in Saarfend at lunchtime.  The forecast for the afternoon is a bit better, but cold and not at all conducive to cricket.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 03:26:43 pm »
This must be the longest Kent have gone without losing a wicket to Surrey for quite some time.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 06:06:03 pm »
The Lancashire 9 & 10 put up a good knock but Harmer came on and after being knocked for 4 first delivery, took a wicket with the second. 145-9.

And Lancs 146 all out.

« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 06:38:05 pm »
I've just discovered that championship matches are being shown live  on YouTube.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 06:39:35 pm »
Yes, I just stumbled across Essex v Lancs by accident.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #66 on: Yesterday at 07:00:33 pm »
Khushi has bashed 53 off 31 deliveries and as I type he’s been caught at slip. Essex 62 for 1.