Author Topic: HUDL2 - anyone got one  (Read 622 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
HUDL2 - anyone got one
« on: 29 July, 2015, 07:42:13 am »
That's the TESCO tablet .... I've had one since last December, bought with the vouchers for about £65 worth - has loads of mapping apps, email, news etc loaded - cheap enough not to worry too much about damage, theft, loss etc when riding/touring.

BUT the latest s/w update this week seems to have a new feature that drains the battery overnight (that's with WiFi and screen switched off and just the background Android stuff running)

TESCO of course denies the problem .... anyone else with the same experience?

Rob

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: HUDL2 - anyone got one
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2015, 08:54:29 pm »
Hmm.  No responses yet, but I'd be interested in what anyone says.  I was thinking of getting one for Mrs B.  The only thing she will need is for it to access her emails, so anything more expensive would be pointless.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2015, 09:08:38 pm »
Aaargh! I fear it may be operator (me) error ... the GPS was running in the background and as it was in the house the continuous hunting for satellites shagged the battery.  I shall monitor the situation.   [The location also works from the WiFi connection - the mapping I have (Here, Google Maps and some others) find the HUDL to within about 20 feet of its actual location.

Basil : I would recommend the HUDL - I also have a Nexus 7 vintage 2013 (the second version) for "best" - that's good too but the HUDL is probably better in terms of speed and screen definition etc.   I took the HUDL on two recent trips - one cycling, one not - and it was great for email, browsing, navigation etc (watching the GPS on the French IGN 1-100,000 map whilst on a TGV is great fun ... almost as good as my Garmin 200 registering 180mph on the same train!)   Go on, treat Mrs Basil to one!

Rob

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2015, 04:24:22 pm »
We have a HUDL2 in the house and it is very popular. No (extra) power problems with the latest update so hopefully it was the GPS issue you described.
Everyone's favourite windbreak