Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Sporting Life / Re: Southend Football
« Last post by Peter on Today at 07:02:32 pm »
Shades of Coventry v Manchester Unlimited.  Sorry for you, Bobb.
£8.29 for a cheese and ham toastie for lunch today  :o
The Pub / Re: Quote for works v Works carried out
« Last post by robgul on Today at 06:57:51 pm »
I can see your point - but the "contract" was to carry out a task for a price.  It seems that happened and you're satisfied with the work - and happy with the price.  Not much to argue about.

We've had quite a bit of work done in the last 3 years or so (driveway, garage doors, landscaping, taking trees out, wood flooring, tiling)- it's all been fixed price . . . the labour was irrelevant as long as the job was done in the agreed time scale . . . none of the suppliers said it would be n men for n days - how they worked was up to them.
You should get a discount for having to drink it from a plastic glass.
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Today's SPAM
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 06:50:58 pm »
Dear (email address),

I am a private investigator and have been contracted by a financial institution to ascertain your relationship to an individual who died sometime ago.

He died intestate and left behind an estate, we have reasons to believe that you may be related to the deceased.

For further information, please contact me or the Assessor for confirmation.

Yours Sincerely,
Victor Chenzoks
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Today's SPAM
« Last post by robgul on Today at 06:46:20 pm »
Phone call spam yesterday. On the landline, which usually means a junk call anyway. I answered it with 'Hello', there was a slight pause, then a computerised voice just said 'goodbye' and rang off.

... are you sure it wasn't the radio thing where they give money away if you answer "Make me a winner"  ;D ;D  (You do need to enter with a text that costs . . ..... etc)

Happened to hear it yestreday and a bloke won £200,000.
The Pub / Re: Quote for works v Works carried out
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 06:38:23 pm »
Definitely worth questioning that. One fewer person, I'd not quibble on 5 vs 8 hours if they have worked effectively, but saying its a two person job and doing it with one seems a bit off to me
The Pub / Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 06:36:11 pm »
O hai Mr Google!

Just because the word “Apollo” appears on this page does not mean it needs to be translated from Greek.  Sort it out u muppets.

Kthxbai
Food & Drink / Re: What are you drinking right now?
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 06:35:21 pm »
I got a "job" - celebration time :)

IMG_20230612_235157_745 by ian, on Flickr

I've had some of that,  very nice

Over the last week for me sampling birthday libations, Balvennie 14 yo carribean (rum) cask, Caperdonich 18 yo peated. Both wonderful in their own way. Mrs ED definitely doesn't like the latter.

Tonight I may broach the 1991 armagnac
The Pub / Quote for works v Works carried out
« Last post by Blazer on Today at 06:30:50 pm »
Hi,

I was quoted £325 for some works which was broken down to include "2 men...one day". I was happy with the overall price compared to other quotes so proceeded.

When it came to the works, 1 man was on site for 5 hours (inc travel time for materials because it was sub'ed to someone else who had not come with any materials).

I was happy with what they did so paid. I deal with contracts all the time at work so just want an 'easy time' at home. But the fact that it took such less 'labour' than quoted has left a bit of a sour taste.

What would the collective have done in my position?

TIA

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10