Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 473551 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #675 on: 16 January, 2016, 03:10:38 pm »
There is the trochanteric bursa which often takes a hit when a cyclist lands on the hip, sometimes causing a bleed.

Still, that's preferable to a hip fracture.

Thanks Helly that was the one, and the bruise was spectacular.   Hip to knee, almost,  and my thigh was fairly swollen.  enough to make me ice averse.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #676 on: 16 January, 2016, 04:36:34 pm »
Cyclists do seem to land on their hips in ice, snow or diesel...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #677 on: 19 January, 2016, 08:59:25 pm »
My blood pressure has dropped 10 points and is now 115/65.  I'm not any fitter so this is rather odd.  I am on latanoprost eye drops (to counter the IOP-raising effect of dexamethasone drops*) and the opthalmologist says they may have a very mild beta-blocker effect  Haven't noticed any slowing down on the bike, though.

*it works - measured today, the untreated left eye was 12mmHg and so was the right eye, which has had an oceanful of eyedrops over the last three months - it was a slightly worrying 28 before they put me on latanoprost.  Give it another few months and I should be off the lot.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #678 on: 19 January, 2016, 10:19:46 pm »
Great news Roger, hope the eye keeps up that super healing. 

« Reply #679 on: 20 January, 2016, 01:13:27 pm »
After years of drinking Diet Coke and sucking on sugar free sweets, I'm going to be giving up most artificial sweeteners due to their effects on gut bacteria and the reported knock on effects. I've never actually had any digestive problems, but after having finally done the reading, I feel like I've been a human lab rat for most of my life. I'm amazed after years of defending artificial sweeteners as safe, I'm finally giving it up.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #680 on: 20 January, 2016, 01:18:05 pm »
Good luck Gerald!
I'm very sceptical myself about these claims about artificial sweeteners, at least for me. Around three diet colas per month doesn't really equate to the huge quantities in the experiments.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #681 on: 20 January, 2016, 01:19:51 pm »
There is the trochanteric bursa which often takes a hit when a cyclist lands on the hip, sometimes causing a bleed.

I thought a trochanter was part of a set of bagpipes until I fell off my bike.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #682 on: 20 January, 2016, 02:16:47 pm »
No 'tro' in bagpipes AFAIK...

« Reply #683 on: 20 January, 2016, 07:03:48 pm »
I have still got the cathier in😢 .and it has slide in so I have only a little tube left visible and it is pulling when I walk. The a and E doctor I saw yesterday said it is draining OK so is fine .the doctor s I have spoken to are just happy that it is draining. I am wondering if I should call the district nurses out. The tip is quite sore and I am to much of a wimp to pull it out myself. (No not right out just enough to stop it pulling  )
the slower you go the more you see

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #684 on: 20 January, 2016, 07:08:25 pm »
Catheters are usually held in place by a balloon, usually filled with saline, at the 'internal' end.
This needs to be deflated before the catheter is removed or it will HURT.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #685 on: 20 January, 2016, 07:14:34 pm »
Just pull on the end of the catheter gently, cm.  It should just slide out a bit.  You can't do any damage as long as you're gentle, and you stop if it hurts.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #686 on: 20 January, 2016, 07:51:43 pm »
Because the tip is sore I am to scared of pain to pull it. I tried and the tube seems to stretch and it hurts a bit and I wimp out again .I know I should MTFU but a wimp I remain   ::-) :'( :'( . I am using a gel called optilube which is making things a bit more comfortable . I suspect that I will have to put up with it as I have bothered doctors to much this week and I cannot afford to upset them ..

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #687 on: 20 January, 2016, 09:18:05 pm »
Because the tip is sore I am to scared of pain to pull it. I tried and the tube seems to stretch and it hurts a bit and I wimp out again .I know I should MTFU but a wimp I remain   ::-) :'( :'( . I am using a gel called optilube which is making things a bit more comfortable . I suspect that I will have to put up with it as I have bothered doctors to much this week and I cannot afford to upset them ..

Have you tried sitting in the bath?  Are you keeping the tip of your penis clean, is there gunk on the catheter?  It's important to keep the catheter clean, wiping it away from your body.  If there's dried gunk on the catheter/end of your penis, that could be making it stick.  The penis will be irritated by the presence of the catheter and produce extra mucus.  It's just like snot, when it dries it goes all crusty.

Irritation inside the bladder from the presence of the catheter can cause referred pain at the tip of the penis.  It's unpleasant but not dangerous.

I would call the district nurses, even if it's just for a telephone conversation.
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #688 on: 20 January, 2016, 11:13:01 pm »
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

OOI, in my thankfully limited and mostly third-hand experience of the things, catheters have a port on the external end for the attachment of a syringe for the inflation/deflation of the balloon.  Wouldn't that stop it from sliding inside?

ETA: Thinking about it, I suppose that's exactly what's happening.  Ouch.

« Reply #689 on: 21 January, 2016, 09:01:32 am »
Thanks for the advice .I will call the district nurses as soon as I have finished reading YACF . one must make sure that one's priority s are right . ☺

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #690 on: 23 January, 2016, 02:55:02 pm »
Speaking of catheters, I had one shoved into my arm yesterday and another wee titanium doodah deposited in a dodgy coronary artery, whippet quick.

When I was lying there with one arm tied down for the cardiologist and a drip in the other I remarked that if they tied both it'd be like Texas, but he didn't get the joke.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #691 on: 25 January, 2016, 10:51:11 am »
Really worried about MrsC.
She's had fluey illness for a few weeks.

Separate from that, her ankles have swollen up and her calves are swollen and rigid (she's not prone to getting puffy swellings on legs). It's not like just common fluid retention, on one leg her whole calf muscles is swollen and absolutely rigid.

A suggested caused (yes, I know, stop looking at drgoogle) is obstructed blood flow, with 'masses in pelvis' being a cause (e.g. pregnancy). MrsC has a large (benign) mass in her pelvis. She won't go to the doctor.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #692 on: 25 January, 2016, 11:43:59 am »
Very worrying.
I don't know what to suggest if she won't see a doctor.
mrsc obviously needs a doctor and I'm useless at the persuasion end.
I hope you can get mrsc and medics to cross paths and that issues can be addressed/treated.
I truly hope the pelvic mass is still benign.
[worried]
Best wishes.

« Reply #693 on: 25 January, 2016, 12:01:15 pm »
Got hold of her - swelling gone this morning, but then her fibroid (which is size of two grapefruit) moves when she lies down.

I wish she'd to see a doctor. Might have to phone her eldest daughter and see if she can persuade her. Sometimes intelligent people can be so stupid.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #694 on: 25 January, 2016, 12:06:35 pm »
If nothing else, mrsc should encourage blood to flow back from her legs to her pelvis by lying down from time to time.
Stagnant blood has a tendency to clot and I really don't want a DVT or pulmonary embolism to result.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #695 on: 25 January, 2016, 12:17:00 pm »
MrC sounds like a plan re persuasion. 

Clever people are annoying: My mum is a qualified teacher of the deaf. When she lost all her hearing in one ear she was just saying "Whateverrrrr *shrug*" when she told me about it. I had to threaten to go to her house the next day and DRAG her to a doctor/A&E before she would go and see GP or talk to her audiologist colleagues for advice...  Biggles Mum's fiance is a doctor, he's EVEN worse and has nearly killed himself by not taking meds properly cos the other medics say "oh yeah, you fiddle with meds as you like"... Stupid buggers the pair of them. 

« Reply #696 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:30:55 pm »
The monster abcess from three years ago is rearing its head again.
Appointment made with the dentist for tomorrow morning - hopefully I'll last until then.
Last time it went from nothing to this in the space of a couple of hours.
Dentist wasn't able to do anything as I couldn't open my mouth sufficiently for him to get in there.
Do. Not. Want. Again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #697 on: 25 January, 2016, 04:27:52 pm »
Eek Jurek!
Hope it's treated and settled soonest!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #698 on: 25 January, 2016, 04:46:40 pm »
Make a male urinary catheter tube more comfortable by applying some (more) lubrication gel.  They let me have some extra little syringes of it to apply myself when I was on a catheter in hospital.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #699 on: 27 January, 2016, 06:20:38 pm »
The opthalmologist finally told me I could go to the optician as things should be settled by now.  The operated eye needs a fairly minor prescription of +1.5 (it ended up long-sighted, even at infinity) with astigmatism of +1.0 at 80 degrees.  However, the ghost image cannot be corrected by glasses; best guess is that it's reflection from the interface between the graft and the "factory" cornea.  This should keep diminishing with time but is annoying when driving in the dark.  The unoperated left eye still needs no correction although I am 47 in two months' time...it's all fog and rainbows, of course, but that's not a refractive error.  My father and I both had really good eyesight until the Fuch's dystrophy got us!

*it will actually be free to me since I have already paid the scheme excess for this 12 months
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.