Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 471406 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #250 on: 27 March, 2015, 09:25:11 pm »
BN: just weighed myself. 101.6kg, or nearly 16st in old money

GN: it means my digestive system is actually working properly...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #251 on: 28 March, 2015, 01:02:43 pm »
Got my bill for my various liver blood tests, shown here:

Total cost...

Insurance will pick up some of it but I'm paying the first 450€ of this illness (current bill at about 800€)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #252 on: 28 March, 2015, 02:02:01 pm »
So those are the codes for the items and their prices.
Do you have the numerical values for your direct/indirect bili or Alk Phos?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #253 on: 28 March, 2015, 07:51:26 pm »
Nope, not on the invoice. I'll see the doc again in a couple of weeks for another test so I'll see if I can get the results from him. But German doctors tend to keep things closer to their chests, apparently.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #254 on: 01 April, 2015, 05:59:25 pm »
I went to hospital expecting a 45min treatment session for benign paroxysmal vertigo (which I was pretty sure I didn't have) and didn't receive any treatment. Instead I was presented with a likely diagnosis of vestibular migraine or epilepsy.

Consultation with consultant will take place and I will receive a letter in a couple of months, no doubt.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #255 on: 02 April, 2015, 12:18:13 am »
Interesting... I hope you get seen soon and some answers - and then some possibilities of treatment etc.

« Reply #256 on: 02 April, 2015, 09:18:11 am »
BN: My wife's other hip needs replacing, which has kyboshed our holiday plans AND her "Silk Road" art trip to Uzbekistan later this year  :(

GN: It'll be the same surgeon as last time, and we know how good and quick the recovery should be.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #257 on: 02 April, 2015, 09:21:34 am »
 :(   :)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #258 on: 06 April, 2015, 12:22:07 pm »
Current Sertraline side-effect: night sweats so bad I tossed and turned so much last night I ripped a big hole in the bottom sheet.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #259 on: 07 April, 2015, 07:54:52 pm »
If this is vestibular migraine, then it fucking sucks.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #260 on: 07 April, 2015, 09:46:29 pm »
Seem to be developing bronchitis after yesterday's ride. Rats.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #261 on: 09 April, 2015, 09:22:00 am »
yet another head cold!  Third one so far this year   >:(  ffs! With added gunky cough / tight chest too!   At least I'm on a day off today, so i'll make sure I get plenty of rest!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #262 on: 09 April, 2015, 09:28:20 am »
Current Sertraline side-effect: night sweats so bad I tossed and turned so much last night I ripped a big hole in the bottom sheet.

Hope the side effects ease soon EC. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #263 on: 09 April, 2015, 09:34:52 am »
Seems that my ovaries have finally FAILED, leaving me feeling really weird and light-headed intermittently and fine the rest of the time.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #264 on: 09 April, 2015, 09:37:17 am »
Oh, is that a menopausal thing? I put it down to low blood pressure.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #265 on: 09 April, 2015, 10:34:49 am »
Seems to be but my blood pressure was much higher than normal, I felt I was about to collapse and my heart rate has gone up a lot.

I've been expecting 'menopausal things' for a while but my Mum had few things and I've needed tampons within the past month.

HV aet 56.85.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #266 on: 09 April, 2015, 11:21:16 am »
I get hot flushes very rarely and they are just 'hot and sweaty for a few seconds' kind of flushes, none of the 'don't know who I am or where I am' kind of stuff. I also get a feeling of light headedness which lasts for a few seconds, almost like I am going to faint, no increased heart rate. This will occur a few times over the course of an hour, if I take a deep, slow breath it goes away but then returns later, it also goes away and doesn't come back if I drink a glass of water.

Clare, last bleed 28-29/12/14, aged 49.36.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #267 on: 09 April, 2015, 12:12:25 pm »
I can cope with hot, though for me, it seems to be of a longer duration.
My tummy seems rather temperamental; I'm off medium-large food portions, slightly nauseous in the evenings and gassy.

« Reply #268 on: 09 April, 2015, 12:18:17 pm »
Had my first asthma review after going back on inhalers last year after a number of years without them. Peak flow of 300 (although I am super snotty at the mo') :-[ it should be about 620....  they've told me to double the dose of my preventer inhaler and see if that helps things....

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #269 on: 09 April, 2015, 12:54:19 pm »
I had a little accident last week (mentioned elsewhere), which left me with several facial scabs. Most were shallow scrapes & had fallen off by this evening, when most of what was left fell off in the bath.

Unfortunately, the scab which fell off (to my surprise: I thought it was solidly rooted, & it was the only one A&E had taped up last week) the bridge of my nose left behind an oozing hole. I'm not sure what to do about this. Just put a dressing on it? If so, what sort would be best, taking into account that ordinary plasters irritate my skin if left on long? Ask the GP nurse to have a look at it tomorrow?

All advice gratefully received.

PS. I was thinking until I saw that hole that I might get away without any visible scars.  :(

Tegaderm, or similar.

I know this is too late, but it's the answer for things like this. Put it on and forget it. Healing with virtually no scarring.
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #270 on: 10 April, 2015, 02:14:16 pm »
Three weeks into the sertraline now, and went back to see the GP this morning. He's keeping me on the same dose and I have to go back in 6 weeks, or earlier if necessary.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #271 on: 11 April, 2015, 03:54:17 am »
Nope, not on the invoice. I'll see the doc again in a couple of weeks for another test so I'll see if I can get the results from him. But German doctors tend to keep things closer to their chests, apparently.

So as a customer....

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #272 on: 11 April, 2015, 07:11:05 am »
Things are very different here with regard to doctors - it's a bit like the UK 40 years ago. Doctors are king and don't share much, although the Hausarzt was really friendly and down-to-earth. I reckon if I ask him for a copy of all the results for my UK health records he'll give me a copy as that's a worthwhile reason.

Something to note - in Germany there is no centralised record-keeping area. Each doctor has their own (paper) notes filing system but if you go to another doctor they know nothing about you. I remember when I moved house eight years ago, went to the doctor and registered, lo and behold they had all my notes from the last practice on the computer at my next visit which is brilliant.

This is part of the German paranoia about the Stasi/spying. No Google Streetview, not allowed to film/photograph people unless there is a big group, you aren't allowed to record people at work even if they are bullying you or something, almost no CCTV, very strict privacy/confidentiality rules, except on your blog you have to put your name and home address and everyone has their names on their letterboxes outside their houses. Most odd.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #273 on: 13 April, 2015, 09:18:08 am »
I just went to the pharmacist's for my methotrexate. I used up the last of my previous prescription last week, and Monday is the day. I arrived at exactly 9am, when the pharmacy opens, but the assistant would not give me my drugs until the pharmacist arrived. They were dispensed, checked, packaged, had my name on and were waiting for me on the shelf, but it would appear that it is not legal for  them to be handed over unless a qualified pharmacist is in the building, even though she took no part whatever in the handing over.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #274 on: 13 April, 2015, 11:38:41 am »
Decided to count the calories this week to check any tendency to overeat after Yr Elenydd on Saturday.

So far I've had a coffee.