Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 468594 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #500 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:28:06 pm »
I had my biennial eye check* today and while there I had a chat with my optician about dealing with my hay fever. She had a couple of suggestions for why my left eye is always more of a problem than my left.

The first was that I have some very slight scarring of the eye surface from when I scratched it 8 years ago. The second was that I have some eyelashes on the left eye that curl the wrong way and may poke into the eye when it's irritated. For the second she suggested eyelash curlers?!

I'm also daring to try contacts again, which surprisingly she suggested may actually help the hay fever (or may not). Hopefully this time round I won't end up in front of a hospital slit lamp within a week :-\

*Yep, checked and they're still there :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #501 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:29:28 pm »
Nothing wrong with eyelash curlers.  They're part of my daily routine!*

*lie

Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #502 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:32:54 pm »
You want to be a bit careful with the mascara, thobut.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #503 on: 05 November, 2015, 11:04:49 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #504 on: 10 November, 2015, 05:46:38 pm »
My GP's surgery has called me for a fasting blood sugar. I am not diabetic. Getting me to the surgery for this will, no doubt displease the partner.
I am minded to push my sugar down to the worrisome out of spite.
I am not nice.
I will aim for 2.9...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #505 on: 10 November, 2015, 05:48:33 pm »
You bad girl  ;D
Milk please, no sugar.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #506 on: 11 November, 2015, 12:25:25 pm »
I'm pretty sure I'm developing arthritis in my first metacarpalphalangeal joint on my non-dominant hand. I have a friend who is a hand therapist so I will ask her to look at it.
I am seeing the GP tomorrow. The joint is very painful and there's quite a lot of swelling and what might be new bone growth.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #507 on: 11 November, 2015, 01:00:01 pm »
The news recently talked about bowel cancer being linked to processed meats (salami etc).

Purely anecdotal evidence but here in Germany I know of three people with bowel cancer but in the UK none of my direct contacts have it. Here the consumption of sausage and salami etc is colossally high. So maybe.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #508 on: 11 November, 2015, 01:38:13 pm »
Broken filling/tooth. Again.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #509 on: 11 November, 2015, 02:01:13 pm »
The news recently talked about bowel cancer being linked to processed meats (salami etc).

Purely anecdotal evidence but here in Germany I know of three people with bowel cancer but in the UK none of my direct contacts have it. Here the consumption of sausage and salami etc is colossally high. So maybe.

The wurst news.

IGMC...

« Reply #510 on: 11 November, 2015, 02:09:24 pm »

The wurst news.

IGMC...

I will put that post in my Spam folder.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #511 on: 11 November, 2015, 06:23:34 pm »

The wurst news.

IGMC...

I will put that post in my Spam folder.

Would you believe it on Speck?

« Reply #512 on: 11 November, 2015, 06:28:01 pm »
I can't talk :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #513 on: 11 November, 2015, 06:38:22 pm »
A very long time ago, a primary school classmate's father died of bowel cancer.
He was a Kosher butcher.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #514 on: 12 November, 2015, 09:46:23 am »
Had 8am GP appointment, seen at about 10 past, GP sent electronic referral for Xray, wandered over to Lauriston building in time for 0830 opening, Xrays taken by 0855. Not bad, NHS, not bad. Now I just need to wait for the results.

« Reply #515 on: 12 November, 2015, 10:54:27 am »
A very long time ago, a primary school classmate's father died of bowel cancer.
He was a Kosher butcher.

My mum died of bowel cancer. She was a school cook.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #516 on: 12 November, 2015, 07:37:25 pm »
The right eye looks normal now and gets a bit sharper every day.  I can just about read small text with it now, although it needs a bit of a squint.  Still trying to avoid driving at night as there is a bit of a double image effect, although fog. glare and rainbows are already halved because the brain is mixing the sharp image from the foggy eye with the slightly blurred image from the clear eye.  Won't be able to tell whether I'll need glasses until about three months but, generally speaking, DSEK barely affects any optical prescription because you keep most of your factory cornea and any mis-shaping of the rear surface makes little difference to focus (the refractive index of the cornea isn't very different to that of the aqueous humour*; it's the cornea-to-air interface at the front that does nearly all the work).

*which is why you can't see clearly underwater; a cornea-to-water interface barely bends the incoming light rays, so you can't form a sharp image.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #517 on: 13 November, 2015, 05:20:33 pm »
The consultant copied me into his letter to my GP, and he suggested my hypochromic microcytic anaemia with a serum ferritin level of 10 might be due to 'intense physical exercise'.

My hols in Scotland didn't involve that much exercise, did they?  If they're going to stop me riding my bike I'm going to sulk quite a lot.
Milk please, no sugar.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #518 on: 13 November, 2015, 05:32:42 pm »
The consultant copied me into his letter to my GP, and he suggested my hypochromic microcytic anaemia with a serum ferritin level of 10 might be due to 'intense physical exercise'.

My hols in Scotland didn't involve that much exercise, did they?  If they're going to stop me riding my bike I'm going to sulk quite a lot.

Sounds iron deficient to VERY non-expert me!

Can't tell if it's poor absorption as well as known (and unknown) losses.

I don't think you're mashing up your eythrocytes to a MASSIVE degree.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #519 on: 13 November, 2015, 05:52:47 pm »
Surely 'intense exercise' = being an Olympic athlete or training for several Ironman events a year, not just riding your bike a lot... ?

<apologies to you if you are in fact either of those things and I assumed wrongly you weren't > ;)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #520 on: 13 November, 2015, 06:37:19 pm »
I'm fairly sure 12 days of cycle touring round the Highlands doesn't count as 'intense exercise' ???

Perhaps your consultant thought you looked like an elite athlete :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #521 on: 13 November, 2015, 09:15:10 pm »
I'm fairly sure 12 days of cycle touring round the Highlands doesn't count as 'intense exercise' ???

Perhaps your consultant thought you looked like an elite athlete :)

Well you can't blame him for that, I suppose  :-\
Milk please, no sugar.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #522 on: 17 November, 2015, 02:18:45 pm »
Had 8am GP appointment, seen at about 10 past, GP sent electronic referral for Xray, wandered over to Lauriston building in time for 0830 opening, Xrays taken by 0855. Not bad, NHS, not bad. Now I just need to wait for the results.
I'm seeing the GP again on Thursday, and it can't come soon enough.

Took 2 paracetamol with breakfast. Took 2 ibuprofen 2 hours ago. Ten minutes ago I accidentally knocked the joint, not particularly hard, but it was sore enough that I felt sick and nearly cried. Had to get my colleague to get 2 more paracetamol out of the blister pack because doing it myself was too sore.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #523 on: 17 November, 2015, 08:32:12 pm »
Good news and bad news from the opthalmologist today.  The good news is that the corneal graft is completely stuck and there is no risk of it ever detaching now.  The bad news is (1) slightly high pressure in the eye, probably a reaction to the anti-rejection steroid drops.  He prescribed some drops to relieve the pressure and I am to start reducing the frequency of the anti-rejection drops now anyway.  (2) Slight cataract, a side-effect of the surgery due to the air bubble being inserted into the aqueous humour, which holds the graft in place for the first day or two but doesn't so the lens much good.  He's not too worried about it though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #524 on: 17 November, 2015, 09:37:07 pm »
Good news and bad news from the opthalmologist today.  The good news is that the corneal graft is completely stuck and there is no risk of it ever detaching now.  The bad news is (1) slightly high pressure in the eye, probably a reaction to the anti-rejection steroid drops.  He prescribed some drops to relieve the pressure and I am to start reducing the frequency of the anti-rejection drops now anyway.  (2) Slight cataract, a side-effect of the surgery due to the air bubble being inserted into the aqueous humour, which holds the graft in place for the first day or two but doesn't so the lens much good.  He's not too worried about it though.

Yes that's great news Roger.  I've a slight cataract too, had it since I was born, doesn't bother me at all.

How's your vision now?
Milk please, no sugar.