Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463761 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1100 on: 28 June, 2016, 04:18:30 pm »
Given that it has taken 6 months to get to not be able to take any weight on hand, 6 months to 95% of normal would be miraculous . . .

I don't drive, so that's not an issue. Non smoker, no blood thinners, etc, good circulation, no heart probs. Relatively slim around hips so harvesting should be easy . . . Ex-Perthes not an issue as not going anywhere near that area of hip.

Surgeon asked "Are you currently unable to do any normal activities?"
I responded "I was a keen cyclist and I'm now unable to ride a drop-handlebar bike at all.", to which he responded
"Well, that definitely needs sorting out."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1101 on: 28 June, 2016, 07:43:43 pm »
The antibiotics finally appear to have kicked in   :thumbsup:. First pain free afternoon for 12 days.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1102 on: 28 June, 2016, 11:01:11 pm »
well for over a week now my guts have been upset

(click to show/hide)

GP has suggested Bowel Colic and given me an antiemetic to relieve the bloating and queasiness. Just waiting for it to kick in and hopefully set everything back to normal.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1103 on: 28 June, 2016, 11:33:39 pm »
Glad you have answers Mr C, I have had something very similar surgery wise on my left ulna once I outgrew the pins keeping my arm straight (no radius means arm grows bendy). They took a wedge and badgered it straight and bashed more pins in giving me great wolverine like X-rays.

I concur with Chris about pain relief, I had to have pethidine Intramuscularly cos it was bastard painful immediately post op. Fine 24hrs later tho, but I attribute that to my legendary pre-adult pain threshold of win!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1104 on: 29 June, 2016, 07:46:48 am »
+1. It's great to have a solution to look forward to, even if it is going to hurt and take time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1105 on: 29 June, 2016, 07:53:41 am »
Glad you have answers Mr C, I have had something very similar surgery wise on my left ulna once I outgrew the pins keeping my arm straight (no radius means arm grows bendy). They took a wedge and badgered it straight and bashed more pins in giving me great wolverine like X-rays.

I concur with Chris about pain relief, I had to have pethidine Intramuscularly cos it was bastard painful immediately post op. Fine 24hrs later tho, but I attribute that to my legendary pre-adult pain threshold of win!
All this positive feedback; I'm glad I signed up then.

Do you have an adamantium radius now you've stopped growing?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1106 on: 30 June, 2016, 09:12:08 am »
Wore sandals for our 2-day summer last week and now my bursitis is back.  :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1107 on: 30 June, 2016, 12:52:15 pm »

All this positive feedback; I'm glad I signed up then.

Do you have an adamantium radius now you've stopped growing?

http://www.barakta.org.uk/hand_xrays/ refers.

« Reply #1108 on: 30 June, 2016, 12:56:13 pm »
Ah - used a hilti gun, from the looks of it

makes me feel a complete fraud, grumbling about my arm.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1109 on: 30 June, 2016, 05:50:18 pm »
I am now very depressed. Not only is the cathier soreness still bothering me but my back has gone and I was laying on my side on the paving slabs in the back garden for two hours waiting for the ambulance  :'(.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1110 on: 30 June, 2016, 07:27:29 pm »
That's cause for feeling a bit down!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1111 on: 30 June, 2016, 08:55:36 pm »
A good set of X-rays of radial club hand with wrist fusion and an interesting pollicisation.

barakta

« Reply #1112 on: 01 July, 2016, 12:32:06 am »
A good set of X-rays of radial club hand with wrist fusion and an interesting pollicisation.

Indeed :)  The fusion/centralisation of the left wrist was a complete pain, multiple attempts in 1982 (age 2), again in 1984 (age 4) until locum registrar did something which worked and a final straightening in 1992 (age 12).

How do they do centralisations in radial club hands these days to handle the growing child problem? Still multiple procedures or something else?

The index finger wasn't very good and was fused to the adjacent finger to the middle knuckle which is why the pollicisation is interesting. The X-rays explain why I have very limited strength and use in it. The little finger was considered for pollicisation but my surgeon decided if the procedure failed that I would lose the only good finger on that hand.

The right hand pollicisation is much better, surgeon used get me to demonstrate my thumb-finger pinch strength by getting his underlings to let me give them a nip which was rather stronger than they anticipated  :demon:.  Medics are also amazed I can do thumb to little finger which is apparently hard to get back, especially from 1986 surgery.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1113 on: 01 July, 2016, 07:56:52 am »
^^^ Reading that hurts. Bloody way to spend childhood. :(

« Reply #1114 on: 01 July, 2016, 12:25:04 pm »
The problem with surgery in 1986 was that inevitably the growth area was damaged leading to a very short forearm.  These days we use an external fixator to pull the wrist apart and lengthen the soft tissues so that the hand just slides across on top of the ulna and can then be stabilised more easily.  This leads to preservation of the growth plate and much less requirement for fusion.

my views of pollicisation are very much on whether the child wants pollicisation.  The child has to demonstrate that they are already functionally using the index finger in a fashion analogous to a thumb before I will even consider it. Hence I do somewhat less than my colleagues!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1115 on: 01 July, 2016, 01:21:14 pm »

I think from barakta's perspective the ENT stuff (and general fail pertaining to her deafness) was a much bigger deal.  I suppose because having your arm in and out of plaster isn't that much of an issue when it's not all that functional to begin with.  It did at least give her a handy weapon...

barakta

« Reply #1116 on: 01 July, 2016, 05:08:05 pm »
The problem with surgery in 1986 was that inevitably the growth area was damaged leading to a very short forearm.  These days we use an external fixator to pull the wrist apart and lengthen the soft tissues so that the hand just slides across on top of the ulna and can then be stabilised more easily.  This leads to preservation of the growth plate and much less requirement for fusion.

Yep, I have a substantially shorter forearm on the left and that does increase the level of impairment I experience and exacerbate the unstable shoulder on that side. I believe I was given the best opportunities realistically available in the 1980s and each generation sees improvements upon the previous ones, sometimes large ones so there's no point in getting hung up about it which some people I know do.

my views of pollicisation are very much on whether the child wants pollicisation.  The child has to demonstrate that they are already functionally using the index finger in a fashion analogous to a thumb before I will even consider it. Hence I do somewhat less than my colleagues!

I have always been grateful that circumstances led to me being 6.5yrs old before my first pollicisation on my better right hand. I remember being old enough to consent and understand the implications of the procedure. The second left hand pollicisation was always going to have more marginal gains, but is more useful in the post-pollicisation construction than it had been before. 

Incidentally I've just found some video of me aged ~3, 6.5 and maybe 7.5 with a lot of my hands in shot which is very interesting to watch. 

barakta

« Reply #1117 on: 01 July, 2016, 05:15:01 pm »

The ortho stuff was not generally very painful, I had a stupendously high pain threshold as a child and only took the 4 hourly paracetamol to shut my mum up. As Kim points out, plastercasts made great weapons against irritating siblings  :demon: :demon: :demon:

The ENT stuff was more annoying and numpties in the education system more so again. I got accused of being excessively pragmatic when I was 10 8) which I found most strange. It's the only childhood I have known and wasn't through anyone doing anything intentionally hurtful or bad, just it is what it is.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1118 on: 01 July, 2016, 05:52:52 pm »
Still made me wince, though.

I don't think I'd ever heard the word "pragmatic" when I was 10.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1119 on: 01 July, 2016, 06:25:21 pm »
Still made me wince, though.

I don't think I'd ever heard the word "pragmatic" when I was 10.

[OT] You weren't doing Literacy SATs!  ;) ;D

« Reply #1120 on: 01 July, 2016, 08:16:07 pm »
I can't remember being 10.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1121 on: 02 July, 2016, 12:33:19 am »
I can! '11+', first decimal coins, Paris riots, parents moved to London...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1122 on: 02 July, 2016, 07:43:37 am »
Didn't the coins appear before the switch?  I was a lowly programmer at the time and my progs were all written for £sd.  The week that conversion Hell was due to break loose (15th Feb 1971??) I was on a piss-up course in Eindhoven and some other poor wight had to do mine.  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1123 on: 02 July, 2016, 08:38:02 am »
Meanwhile, MRs. T41 has the flu, and schlepping the Inlaw Paw with my bum shoulder is getting bummer and bummer as days go by.   Lifting's OK: I can get his arms round my neck and then straighten my legs, but supporting his bad side with my bad side is killing us both.  I couldn't even use the hand grinder for coffee this morning.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1124 on: 02 July, 2016, 09:06:38 am »
Has your wife been devalued by this Brexit lark?  ;) ;D

Srsly hope your respective woes settle!