Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 468699 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1200 on: 17 July, 2016, 04:52:12 pm »
Inlaw Paw out of danger, moving out of ICU tomorrow, but his memory is shot. Today he couldn't recognize the very distinctive mug he's been using at home for the last 5 years, he doesn't remember why he's in there. And curiously, every so often he'll use very formal phrases in normal conversation.

He'll be a couple more weeks in the heart unit now and then 2-3 in the convalescent wing.  Thereafter, we don't yet know.

One thing I realized yesterday: I've had quite bad nervous eczema on my hands for some weeks, and since he's been in hospital and we aren't eternally on call it has almost gone.  This morning the missus and I got out for a walk together for the first time since 2013.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1201 on: 17 July, 2016, 05:05:13 pm »
Is it nervous eczema or is it dermatitis from too much 'soap', too little rinsing, drying and hand cream?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1202 on: 18 July, 2016, 10:29:15 am »
No fillings today, and the dentist says my oral health is excellent.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1203 on: 18 July, 2016, 12:40:20 pm »
Is it nervous eczema or is it dermatitis from too much 'soap', too little rinsing, drying and hand cream?

Fair question, but it does wax & wane with stress.  It started up in 1996 when the Social Security, bless them, dunned us for 141,000 francs just before we went on holiday, and has come & gone thereafter in inverse phase to our fortunes.  And my hands get lots of lanolin from dogs' fur.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1204 on: 18 July, 2016, 12:45:27 pm »

Fair question, but it does wax & wane with stress.  It started up in 1996 when the Social Security, bless them, dunned us for 141,000 francs just before we went on holiday, and has come & gone thereafter in inverse phase to our fortunes.  And my hands get lots of lanolin from dogs' fur.

Fur enough.
Looking after others does entail much washing; keep well!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1205 on: 18 July, 2016, 12:53:32 pm »
Well, others are doing that just now. He's moving into a different unit today where things will be more relaxed than in Reanimation.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1206 on: 21 July, 2016, 09:34:56 pm »
We have had 'Fish Oil + Multivitamin' capsules for years.
These are branded 'Seven Seas'.
They used to be 'pure cod liver oil' + A-Z multivitamins.
There was a sneaky change to 'Omega-3 Fish oil + Cod Liver Oil + A-Z Multivitamins.
This has now been rebadged 'Simply Timeless'.
The formula seems the same as after the sneaky change and it now only contains 15% cod liver oil...
I feel a little done...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1207 on: 22 July, 2016, 11:13:36 am »
But enriched with 30% more marketing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1208 on: 22 July, 2016, 11:30:06 am »
 ;) ;D

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1209 on: 23 July, 2016, 11:44:03 am »
After being turned away from a blood donor session a few years ago due to marginally low Hgb I started taking combined VitC and Iron tablets; low dosage (100% of RDA, I think), and sold cheaply by Sainsburys. A year or so ago they disappeared from the shelves for a few months, but have now returned in a very similar container, with the same formula, but now labelled as 'Women's'.  Previously they were simply called something like 'Basics'. 

As a non-woman, I continue to take them, but do wonder a little about the marketing logic.  OK, women are probably statistically more prone to low Hgb, but you have to wonder whether sales to the male of the species may have declined since the change!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1210 on: 23 July, 2016, 11:57:12 am »
In today's post were two identical letters to my GP, following a recent clinic visit.
I'm sure the intention was to send me a courtesy copy and send one copy to the GP.
Some idiot isn't very good at stuffing envelopes, it appears.
Will ask partner to drop refolded copy at the surgery.

I wonder how many important letters go astray this way...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1211 on: 25 July, 2016, 08:04:59 am »
Dragging off to hosp every pm to see the IP is getting very, very wearing. Incredibly tired now from before I get up until I go to bed.  Still not cycling or even using turbo, but walking round the fields every couple of days, carefully keeping BG within spitting-distance of the bell curve. Will be getting on turbo next weekend, maybe that'll help.  Brain-dead mostly, too.  Ideal convalescence from coronary plumbing, not.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #1212 on: 25 July, 2016, 03:22:22 pm »
Getting my thumb surgery 11th August.

« Reply #1213 on: 25 July, 2016, 03:32:21 pm »
The last thing you said about your thumb was that Boris stuck a claw in it. An operation seems extreme . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1214 on: 26 July, 2016, 09:11:09 pm »
Left eye IOP was 32mmHg two weeks ago (which is very bad).  Changed anti-inflammatory steroid drops and down to 13mmHg today, which is about as low as it gets when your corneas are a bit thicker than normal (this affects the reading).  Apparently I'm "on the home straight" now and will be down to only one type of eye drop, once a day, in a few weeks' time.  Last month I was carrying around four different ones!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1215 on: 27 July, 2016, 07:05:54 am »
:thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1216 on: 28 July, 2016, 09:21:29 am »
Got so used to doing SFA - well, apart from walking round the fields & forest, which is SFA with bugs - since May that the idea of getting back on the bike tomorrow is somewhat daunting.  At the same time, the idea of getting on the turbo instead is disgusting. One is quandarized.

« Reply #1217 on: 28 July, 2016, 12:50:46 pm »
Please get back on the bike and ride for FUN.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1218 on: 28 July, 2016, 01:10:32 pm »
Yeah! Fuckit.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #1219 on: 28 July, 2016, 10:00:22 pm »
The last thing you said about your thumb was that Boris stuck a claw in it. An operation seems extreme . . .
That was my other thumb, and it was Pete, not Boris.  ;D

There's a weird lump on the base of my left thumb. X-ray and ultrasound haven't shown anything, but it's an obvious lump, and it's sore, and I keep knocking it and making it more sore. So the hand surgeon is going to cut it out and I am going to get two weeks off while the stitches are in, followed by 2 weeks annual leave. I am not sad about that at all.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1220 on: 29 July, 2016, 10:50:07 am »
Did a whole 8.9 km, round the village & up a neighbouring hill, heart up to 153 bpm with no pain. One is chuffed. :thumbsup:

Heh: when BPM on Garmin was 110 it was 75 on Fitbit marketing device, when Garmin & BP meter showed 87 it was still 75 on the WeSawYouComingBit. Those things are rubbish.  I'm glad it was a present.

« Reply #1221 on: 29 July, 2016, 11:19:27 am »
Did you set Fitbit to exercise mode so the sampling of HR happens more frequently?

« Reply #1222 on: 29 July, 2016, 11:27:38 am »
Did a whole 8.9 km, round the village & up a neighbouring hill, heart up to 153 bpm with no pain. One is chuffed. :thumbsup:

glad you had fun again

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1223 on: 29 July, 2016, 01:08:41 pm »
@geraldc No, but it appears to sample HR at a hell of a rate anyway: permanent baleful green flicker.  TBH I don't like the nasty rubbery feel of the thing or the hype surrounding it, so I only wear it to appease please the missus.

@chris Cheers! Not half as glad as I am.  When every hill is accompanied either by chest pain or the expectation thereof the shine kinda goes off.  It's bloody wonderful to go tanking up** a 6% again without a hint of it.

Hoping for dry weather now.

** at a whole 9 kph but that's what it felt like

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1224 on: 01 August, 2016, 11:27:11 am »
Why are broken ribs not accompanied by swelling like other bones?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.